ARC extension. Once or twice?

Hi everyone

Does anyone here know how many ARC extension is allowed? My friend already extended her ARC once (for 6 months) when her contract ended in Dec last year. She is still looking for job now. I heard that now ARC can be extended twice, but I am not sure. Is there any criteria for the 2nd extension or anyone can apply for it? Thanks.

1 Like

Honestly, it depends on who you ask and what their mood is at that particular moment. I have overstayed my visa twice. Once was a nod and wink - mei-you guan-xi (I knew this person and had built up a friendship). The other time was a fine and mark on my record.

More pertinent, I have had a six month extension (transferring from a post-doc and needing time to find a position at a uni). I was under the impression that my six month extension was as long as I could go. It also seemed like you could either get a six month extension OR two three month extensions.

Again depends on which officer you are assigned to. Best to be on your best behavior, as these officers take any slight seriously. Humility is the virtue they value the most. Given the current epidemic, I guess they might be more lenient. It’s really a roll of the dice.

Twice

Article 22 of Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens.

… Upon approval, the effective period of his/her ARC shall be extended to 6 months from the next day of the date of the expiration of the time limit for the original residence. Before the extended period expires, if necessary, the alien can re-apply one time for further extension. The total extended period of residency is one year at most.

3 Likes