ARC Extension while Representative Office Manager

Hi Folks,

I am on my fourth year as a rep office manager. I want to switch my rep office to a branch office or even a local llc. However, my current ARC expires on Oct. 11, 2022. I will hire a lawyer to setup the new entity but the transition will take longer than my ARC expiration.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I apply for 6 months extension? I heard I get two of these in a lifetime, correct? I have never applied for it before.

2. As a rep office manager, I understand that I am a “foreign professional.” Under the recently changed rules, I want to apply for APRC on my 5th year which is Oct. 2023. The new rule states that I need to be in Taiwan just once every 5 years. I want to keep under this new rule, of course.

So, the question is: If I apply for the extension then when my branch office or llc gets approved and I switch my work permit back to manager under the new entity, does it mess with my benefit (just be in Taiwan once every 5 years) or reset my time accrued (currently 4 years on my ARC)?

Thank you for all your help in advance.

A CPA is easier and cheaper.

Here is mine.

1 Like

Thanks, but he didn’t know either, because it is not his area.
Do you have experience with this situation?

I started a company here. I know this guy. Rep office was an option to me as well but I went with limited company. But he is very experienced with this field.

1 Like

Why not just keep the rep office for another year and then apply for an APRC?

I don’t have enough documentation to renew this time unfortunately.

When you apply for your APRC you will provide your current work permit and as long as it falls under “professional work” at the time of application as defined in Article 4 Paragraph 4 in the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals then should be considered as a Foreign Professional.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=A0030295&norge=4

I believe your specific work permit would be based on Work as specified in Article 46 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 2 of the Employment Service Act:

2.Director/manager/executive of a business invested in or set up by overseas Chinese or foreigner(s) with the authorization of the Government of the Republic of China.

It is good to verify these things as I’ve seen assumptions before such as being on an Entrepreneur Visa is a Foreign Professional but its not actually listed as Professional Work therefore not recognised by NIA for the relaxed APRC residency rule.

1 Like

A few emails and stamped agreements to purchase “widgets” should do it. The more stamps the better. Mine was renewed with something like 3 documents.

1 Like

How long was your renewal assuming it was the 2nd renewal? The first one was easy for me because it was just one year of activity. The 2nd one I have to have three years of activity and I’m scared I can’t meet it. Also, I was outside of the country for almost one year.

Thank you again.

I only had to renew once to get an APRC. Both the initial and renewal were for 3 years.

1 Like

Thank you so much. This is so helpful. However, if I have to go on extension, doesn’t this break continuity of my current foreign professional status? I presume the extension for looking for work will change my job status, right?