ARC foreign marriage in Taiwan (how to authenticate Canadian documents)

Hello, I am new here. My wife (Taiwanese) and I (Canadian) are wanting to apply for my ARC from here within Taiwan. We’re both a bit confused by the legal requirements listed online. We have our Canadian (English) marriage cirtificate, and I have an police check in English done recently. I have two things I am confused about:

1.) Some places online say we require our marriage cirtificate and police check to be translated into Mandarin, but others say English or Mandarin copies are required. Do they need to be translated, or is English fine?

2.) If they need to be translated can my wife translate them herself? And then do we need to take them somewhere to get them verified? There is a Canadian ‘embassy’ in Taipei we could take them to perhaps.

Thank you very much!

Have you gone to the National Immigration Agency with your wife to ask? They would give you the most definitive answer and checklist.

1 Like

Yes, just take it to any public notary, should cost less than 1000$.

If your spouse is a citizen, Chinese translation is required to register your marriage, iirc. That you should ask to HHR office.

You’ll probably need the Canadian marriage certificate authenticated by the responsible Canadian TECO. You maybe have to get these pre-acknowleged by a Canadian Court.

Translations for legal stuff usually has to be done by authorized translators or at least verified by one.

Additionally to the NIA I’d recommend giving your TECO a call. they’ll know best what they need fron the Canadian authorities.