ARC holders don't need onward ticket?

Just want to confirm something.

If you have an ARC, you can leave Taiwan for a holiday and fly back in without the need for an onward ticket. Is that right?

Surprisingly, I’ve only done this once - way back in 1997 and I remember it took a bit of arguing.

[quote=“almas john”]If you have an ARC, you can leave Taiwan for a holiday and fly back in without the need for an onward ticket. Is that right?

That’s right.

But…if you are checking in at a small airport in the States before your connecting flight to Taiwan, it might take time to convince the jackass at the counter that you really, really, really don’t need a visa/onward ticket.

Well you definitely need the visa…it goes hand in hand with the ARC…just not an onward ticket.

Re-entry, that’s the word

ARC is always re-entry, right?
I had a single entry residence visa but I got the re-entry permit with the ARC anyway.

And I arrived with one-way ticket. The check-in girls spent 15 minutes making phone calls before they let me go.

The moment you get the ARC, your visa is canceled and a re-entry is pasted in your passport. No need for visa showing or outbound ticket, your re-entry is proof that you’re allowed into Taiwan, provided that you bring your ARC with you.

Right? :slight_smile:

The visa (big stamp in the passport) is used, but not cancelled. It is valid while you hold a valid ARC. To get back in, you need the re-entry stamp, which the police should give you when you get your ARC, but I have heard of cases where they haven’t.


inmy passport there is no visa stamp … why should there be one … it’s a new passport and over time i’ll have had 3 or 4 new passports, so the visa will never be in the passport I use. :slight_smile:

Actually, in my passport they gave me a multiple entry stamp in addition to the ARC and resident visa. But to tell the truth, I’m not sure If I had to ask for it or they just automatically gave it to me. :loco:

In all other instances you DO need proof of onward travel, not necessarily an actual ticket. I’ve learned that the hard way! Just ask your travel agent to reserve a flight for you two weeks after you are scheduled back in Taiwan. You don’t have to pay for it.

You’ll get an itinerary document from, say, China Airlines, and it will have your official reservations on it, wiht the confirmation number and whatever else. All of this is completely legal and proof of onward travel. You don’t have to worry about cancelling it unless you pay for it. If you don’t personally confirm it, then they’ll just sell the seat.

Trust me, it saves a lot of time haggling with wary check in attendants. :unamused:

Almas, check your passport. If you have a white re-entry sticker in it with valid dates, that’s all you need. If you don’t have one, go to the cops and get one. They’re free. You don’t need to show your ARC at the airport, or at least I never have, and I also don’t have a visa in my current passport.