ARC through child possible?

I am on a JFRV through my wife but we are in a bad situation.

My 5 years for APRC would be up in Feb. 2020 but as things have taken for the worse we might not last until then.

We have 3 children aged 7, 4 and 2. Youngest two were born in TW, all three have TW passport.

Is it possible for my kids to sponsor me for JFRV? Or do I need to find an employer willing to sponsor (current company doesn’t seem keen).

Thanks

You can be sponsored by a child for JFRV. The legal guys on here will need to show how.

But, seriously, 6 more months? Can you not really suck it up until then, or at least reach an agreement with your wife? Are things so bad that she’d prefer you to potentially be out of the country than contributing to child care?

1 Like

Hi,

Discussion tonight was pretty heated and has been gearing up over the last couple of weeks. She ended up saying she was going get the divorce papers tomorrow and sign them.

She overreacts a though and we (unless something changed tonight) were working on getting some counselling.

I guess I can refuse to sign the divorce papers if it happens but that might just make her angrier.

The JFRV through children would be a backup plan if things go bad.

I was hoping someone had some experience as I read on a post here that someone’s application was denied as children are minors and can’t support the applicant.

I was hoping someone had dine it and could elaborate further about what they seem acceptable / not acceptable.

A couple of posters on here have gotten JFRV from their child. Hopefully they’ll read this and chime in. I didn’t know there was a minimum age.

Refusing to sign divorce papers sounds good to me. Not a flat out refusal, of course, just a prolonged delay.

2 Likes

A friend of mine who is a divorcee was also denied on grounds that her JFRV though her children was not enough. Seemed to me they saw it almost as a student visa. They asked for 5 million proof in spite of her working as a nurse side.

In your case, I would stall. A good lawyer would tell you to stall. You need to get a deal on child visitation -remember enforcement is spotty- hopefully even custody, BEFORE signing, as well as properties split, alimony, etc OR you will be left on the street. You have rights, please get lawyered and get ready for a protracted battle. You will be safe with an APRC.

DO NOT SIGN anything until you have your APRC.

10 Likes

Immigration Act says you need a custody if the divorce is not due to domestic violence. If you will be the only earner and support your kids financially, it may also help you to get an ARC.

Article 31
3. An alien acquires the guardianship of his/her own children with registered permanent residence in the Taiwan Area after his/her divorce.
5. Is deported from the State forcibly due to the revocation of his/her residence permit and is believed to have caused severe and irrecoverable damage to his/her own minor children with registered permanent residence in the Taiwan Area.

if you don’t sign, divorce cannot be done, unless it goes to a court with a mandatory mediation sessions.

1 Like

Do not sign divorce paperwork!

Tell your wife that you’ll gladly sign the divorce AFTER you have your APRC in hand.

7 Likes

Better yet, tell your wife you can discuss it AFTER you guys get counseling. Although divorce may be an option, it’s a painful one.
Maybe you guys can still fix whatever is broken…

1 Like

Thanks all. I feel like a have a better idea of how I can proceed now.

I will not sign any papers as we have not had any counselling yet and will try to hold off until I can get APRC if possible.

I have always said to her that I don’t want to divorce, I want counselling but she keeps bringing divorce up and I feel she is trying to trap me and make me say something that she can use against me (she keeps bringing up her single friends and saying they might suit me and asking me what I think) It’s getting quite annoying and I feel she is intentionally trying to damage the relationship.

She always tells me to leave her and find someone else in the discussions, and I always say that is not what I want to do and that I want to work through the issues and go to counselling.

I was annoyed last night and asked her why if she isn’t happy with me (it’s quite clear she isn’t and hasn’t been for some time) why she doesn’t say that she want’s to leave me and instead keeps pushing me to leave her. That is when she said she’s going to arrange divorce papers immediately.

Inside I feel she want’s me to leave her so it appears I am the bad person because from what I understand, her family is on my side in this.

I will see how it goes, she seems good at saying things, then the next day pretending nothing happened, hopefully it should calm down a bit again.

2 Likes

So, it seems she didn’t even told you what is making her unhappy. Kudos to you for wanting to work it through.
Even if you wait until getting the APRC, then getting a divorce, it may feel like running away from the issue, instead of fixing it. Sometimes, marriage is about helping and supporting the partner, even when they don’t ask for it. :2cents:

1 Like

If it’s true that the family support you (and bear in mind that it’s often difficult to tell), then that’s a massive bonus. You just need to keep delaying signing anything until you get your APRC.

One point - probably best to stop posting details on here as it’s easy to find you and you don’t want to antagonize her any further.

2 Likes

Best wishes and good luck to the OP, I hope it ends up as happily as possible for all concerned.

Sorry, this thread caught my eye a while ago, although my interest was somewhat different.
Way back before I APRC’d, when there was a slight possibility I wouldn’t qualify, and I was spitballing all kinds of random alternatives, I was wondering if anyone had ever successfully gotten a JFRV on an ROC citizen kid of the age of majority??
Anybody ever heard of this happening?
If it has ever happened, it would obviously be pretty rare, at least because not too many foreigners have Taiwan-born kids that old.

It sounds like she might need constant assurance from you that you wouldn’t leave her.

3 Likes

Gingerman got JFRV on his kid and his kid was younger than that. I’ve never heard of it with an adult child, though.

2 Likes

Ah so.
I just mentioned the kid being an adult because I assumed they wouldn’t do it with a minor.

@BiggusDickus
Thanks, Yes, I am trying to limit what I post here. I have written down a lot as I want to read over it and prepare myself so I can prepare as much as possible for the counselling sessions.

@RickRoll I have had mixed message and a lot of very generic unclear information about why. I won’t go into details here though.

2 Likes

It is an interesting point. Say someone got JFRV off their 16 year old child. Would it get revoked when the child hit 20?

In your situation it really is best not to post anything traceable.

1 Like

basically it seems so and maybe people are expected to do naturalization if they want to stay after that, though there seems to be some room of flexible application of laws for individual special cases.

4 Likes

It’s a weird system, but I get the logic behind it.

1 Like