ARC to join elderly Taiwanese Mother?

So what if it were? If OP or her mom are ROC then it’s their right regardless of whatever you think. If you yourself are ROC then you certainly are entitled to your opinion but a Taiwan national with shenfenzheng has a right to come back to Taiwan and receive medical health insurance regardless of where they went off to or however much they paid in the system. It is not the purpose of Forumosa to pass your own judgement of the situation.

The bar for investment visa is actually kinda low if you have been making good US wages for a while and have a decent sized nest egg. I believe you just need 200k to start out with and can invest this in anything local like stocks or bonds or whatever. You probably should have more too since there are probably some minimums you need to meet. If you happen to have investable cash of say 300-400k this is actually a very viable path forward. If your goal is to spend time with your parent, then this is obviously going to let you do that, rather than have your time be dictated by a buxiban.

Whenever you need a refresher on what the purpose of Forumosa is, please visit policy.forumosa.com.

Not necessarily correct, but acceptable.

1. Pure speculation.
  2. Disrespectful.
  3. You know perfectly well the distinction between evade and avoid. Even if your theory were correct, OP would not be breaking the law by avoiding US health care.

Considering OP describes her mother as “elderly”, I doubt she ever made any meaningful premium contribution to the NHI since the system was implemented in the mid-1990s. Most likely OP’s mother left for the United States before that time.

Speculative and judgemental.

If for once an ABC family is inconvenienced in this parasitic undertaking, then it’s an occasion to celebrate for local and foreign residents of Taiwan alike who pay into the system rather than leech from it.

Borderline ad hominem attack.

I’m keeping the post as an example of what’s wrong with jumping to conclusions.

I appreciate your contributions overall, but since you’re Beijing’s de facto ambassador to the site, please try a bit harder to embody 5000 years of civilized refinement. :bowing: