ARC validity/Driving licence bollocks

[quote=“joesax”]By the way, I’m not aware that ARC length has ever been an issue for renewing licenses. As far as I’m aware, the rule we’re talking about only applies for new licenses.[/quote]With my license when I first got it, it had an expiry date which was the same as my ARC at the time, some time in December each year. I left Taiwan for 2 months in 2003 around April. My ARC was cancelled as I had left my job. When I came back to Taiwan after the 2 months away, I got a new job and a new ARC. The expiry date on this ARC was June 30 each year.

When I received my license renewal notice in the mail and went down to the DMV, they only renewed my license until June 30 of the next year as this was only as long as my ARC was valid for, just over 6 months. I received a renewal notice again around May or so the next year and went and renewed it and ever since then, my license has exactly the same expiry date as my ARC, June 30.

[quote=“TaipeiSean”][quote=“joesax”]By the way, I’m not aware that ARC length has ever been an issue for renewing licenses. As far as I’m aware, the rule we’re talking about only applies for new licenses.[/quote]With my license when I first got it, it had an expiry date which was the same as my ARC at the time, some time in December each year. I left Taiwan for 2 months in 2003 around April. My ARC was cancelled as I had left my job. When I came back to Taiwan after the 2 months away, I got a new job and a new ARC. The expiry date on this ARC was June 30 each year.

When I received my license renewal notice in the mail and went down to the DMV, they only renewed my license until June 30 of the next year as this was only as long as my ARC was valid for, just over 6 months. I received a renewal notice again around May or so the next year and went and renewed it and ever since then, my license has exactly the same expiry date as my ARC, June 30.[/quote]
Right. That’s normal. Nobody said you needed to have a year remaining on your ARC. And my guess is that to extend a license you already held, you’d still get the license extended until the ARC expiry date even if your ARC was valid for less than a year in total. At least, I’ve never heard otherwise.