ARC vs APRC vs JFRV

hi everyone, I tried to look for this information but apart from telling me how to get the ARC/APRC/JFRV, I do not know what the differences are. Also what are the benefits.
If you can point me to a link, that would also be helpful. Thanks!

[quote=“bookworm”]hi everyone, I tried to look for this information but apart from telling me how to get the ARC/APRC/JFRV, I do not know what the differences are. Also what are the benefits.
If you can point me to a link, that would also be helpful. Thanks![/quote]

Don’t worry, squire. I’ll just tell you. However, have a rummage around in the legal section as I’m getting on a bit and I’m on my third g&t.

ARC- Alien Resident Certificate. This has to be sponsored by an employer. Your work rights are limited to working for said employer (plus up to two others if you add them).
APRC - Alien Permanent Resident Certificate. You can only apply for this if you have lived and worked in Taiwan for over 5 years. It provides open work rights so is ace! Drawback is you can still get deported if you behave like a complete twat.
JFRV - Joint Family Resident Visa. This also offers open work rights, but you have to be married to a Taiwanese chap or chapesse to get one. This visa is very popular with the otherwise unemployable. Benefit is you are very unlikely to get deported even if you behave like a complete twat. However, if the other half tires of you then you could well get downgraded to an ARC or even visa runs.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Drawback is you can still get deported if you behave like a complete twat.
[/quote]
So I can get deported if I get banged up for skag or crack on an APRC but not a JFRV? They didn’t tell me THAT when I applied! :bluemad:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“tomthorne”]Drawback is you can still get deported if you behave like a complete twat.
[/quote]
So I can get deported if I get banged up for skag or crack on an APRC but not a JFRV? They didn’t tell me THAT when I applied! :bluemad:[/quote]

If you’ve got dependents who would otherwise have to be funded by the state then I reckon there’s little to no chance of deportation on a JFRV. OK, just a gut feeling with zero legal back-up :slight_smile: . APRC holders would get banged up and deported, I’d just get banged up. Obviously it’s moot because who on Earth is daft enought to ever try smack or crack? :wink:

Thanks for these info!

How did you manage to get permanent residency without knowing anything about the difference between APRC and an ARC?

worked for the same company for 5+ years. I THOUGHT an APRC had almost the same benefits as a citizen except for the right to vote, apparently not. :laughing: So the only benefit is that you are not tied to your company and you can stay in the country.