Apart from the obvious difference in length (ARC you apply for every year for NT$ 1000 and APRC does not expire but costs NT$10,000), can anyone tell me any other differences between having an ARC and having permanent residency (APRC).

As I understand, with permanent residency you still have to apply for a work permit–is that correct?

As I already have an ARC through my job, is there any reason for going for permanent residency, even though I qualify?

If you are planning to live in Taiwan for the long term, PR would probably be advantageous.

At the present time you still need a work permit (even with PR), but there are proposals to change the law so that you would have free work rights.

With PR, your residency rights are unaffected if you want to change jobs, or even just take some time off and sit on the beach.

Hello again,

Thanks for that information, Richard.

I have another question…

If I successfully applied for PR, and then wanted to work, would there then be a separate charge or fee for applying for a work permit?

I think that at present, the employer applies for a work permit on the employees behalf and the only fee that gets paid is the NT$1,000 when the work permit is taken to the Police Station’s Foreign Affairs Dept. as the basis for issuing a one-year ARC. Is that correct?

If your employer is handling the work permit application, you can help him fill out the forms, and assemble the necessary documentation. In such a situtation, there is no additional charge.

If you are having a law office or accounting firm do the work permit application, then of course they are going to charge you a fee.

According to the new Employment Services Act Article 51 revisions of 2002, a permanent resident can now obtain unrestricted work rights in the ROC, a so-called “Open Work Permit.” The application fee is NT$ 100.