Arcata City Council calls for Bush impeachment

[quote=“TC”]Oh…and a bit of research turns up that the Arcata city council did this in…2003. :unamused:[/quote] Khm… The vote was passed last Wednesday, in 2006 b 10:38 PST Arcata, Calif. (AP)[/b]. Your statement is a bit misleading and IMO, a bit of a bait once again for that reason. First you use distortion in order to humorise my previous post and now you are making shady omissions… That’s not right. See the quote below…

[quote]Arcata’s leaders passed a similar resolution in 2004. The year before that, the council stopped short of calling for Bush’s ouster, instead voting to ask for an investigation of the president.
[/quote]
…or check out this result:

[quote=“TC”]Interesting that those who appear to be in support of this activity are also those who would rather not having the fact of the USA being at war mentioned as a substantive reason for criticising this opportunistic action.[/quote]You put that on the table Sir. Not a double standard anyways, just posters responding to your initial comment about “times of war.”

Besides if the people can not voice their doubts while their troops are dying for a shady cause, war or not, what good is democracy doing for you?

[quote=“TC”]You can say what you want - but nobody can offer a rebuttal without your permission?[/quote]This is an exageration and again not really valid since you know very well you do not need permission to post your opinions. Again though, had you not accused me of baiting in the first place, maybe you would have gotten away unoticed. :unamused:

bobepine

bobpine -
arcataeye.com/opinion/030901opinion03.shtml

[quote] Opinions: September 1, 2003
The Arcata City Council’s Bush-Cheney impeachment resolution - local, relevant and crucial

By Arcata City Councilmember Dave Meserve

On Tuesday, September 2, from 7 to 9 p.m., there will be a Town Hall meeting at the senior dining room in the new Arcata Community Center, to discuss a proposed City Council Resolution calling for the impeachment of George W. Bush and Richard B. Cheney.

The resolution bases its call for impeachment on the grounds that Bush and Cheney lied to Congress and the American people about Iraq’s WMD’s, nuclear program and ties to al Qaeda in order to promote a war that was illegal under the United Nations Charter and therefore, also under the United States Constitution. Such lies and prosecution of an illegal war meet the constitutional requirement for impeachment as “high crimes and misdemeanors,” and in light of the continuing slaughter of both Iraqis and Americans, seem far more serious than Clinton’s lies concerning his sexual exploits in the Oval Office.

Of those who have spoken against passing the resolution so far, few challenge the accusation that Bush and Cheney lied, or that the war was illegal under the UN charter. Some say that lying and lawbreaking by leaders is acceptable, when the greater cause of strengthening freedom by eliminating a cruel dictator is served. Most opponents of the resolution with whom I have talked say that they have no love for Bush or his war, but that they do not think it is within the City’s purview to address issues like presidential impeachment.
arcataeye.com/opinion/030901opinion03.shtml[/quote]
Sorry bobpine…some folks just won’t back down. You’re wrong.

[quote=“purple people eaters”]Okay maybe I

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]bobpine -
You’re wrong.[/quote]
Wrong about what? The fact that you tried to make it look like I’m bringing up an event dated three years ago? Nahhh, I knew you’d say that you meant that they were persistent buggers. (Arcata council) What’s wrong with that anyways? Isn’t America “The beacon of freedom?”

It’s aside the point though, I can’t think of one statement you wrote in this thread that would warrant keeping Bush and Cheney employed except this:

bobepine