Arctic Circle: Who owns what?

I found this map and it confuses me.

I say no one owns it. What do you think?

and you would be wrong.

War on Ice…

I think all the nations involved except Russia could reach some sort of diplomatic agreement. Russia seems to favor a “winner take all” approach and I can’t see Obama doing anything but falling right over.

I think we should get it. After all, if it wasn’t for us the whole place would still be buried under a half mile thick sheet of ice.

In terms of territorial waters, it will generally be 12 nautical miles from the coastal baseline. However, for EEZ purposes, it can go out 200 nautical miles OR to the edge of the continental shelf (whichever is longer) unless it overlaps with the claims of other states, where it would then go to the median line of the overlap. Russia’s claims are overreaching based on the UNLOS. Canada’s baseline is a matter of dispute due to their islands. US, Danish, and Norweigian claims largely conform with the UNLOS.

I’m under the impression that these countries are debating over who owns a section of the arctic that is the size of Western Europe.

And Spook, thanks for making me laugh! :discodance:

edit: here’s another map. I like maps. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also like maps - and your map is easier to read than the one in the OP. As for the ridge claimed by the Russians as part of the continental shelf - that is quite a reach.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

I’m under the impression that these countries are debating over who owns a section of the arctic that is the size of Western Europe.

[/quote]

I also like maps - and your map is easier to read than the one in the OP. As for the ridge claimed by the Russians as part of the continental shelf - that is quite a reach.[/quote]

Yeah,I hadn’t realized it extended almost to Greenland. Russians are being a bit aggressive, aren’t they? :noway:

The bit on the left is mine. Someone else can have the bit on the right, I don’t want it.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

[/quote]

I also like maps - and your map is easier to read than the one in the OP. As for the ridge claimed by the Russians as part of the continental shelf - that is quite a reach.[/quote]

Yeah,I hadn’t realized it extended almost to Greenland. Russians are being a bit aggressive, aren’t they? :noway:[/quote]

The hubris of dictatorship.

I am pretty sure Sandman and Chief own it.

[quote=“Noel”]I am pretty sure Sandman and Chief own it.[/quote]Only the bits on the right.

Some encouraging news…

[quote]Canada edging Russia in Arctic mapping

The beaver is starting to push back against the bear in the debate over who controls the top of the world.

Federal officials have confirmed that Canada’s Arctic mapping flights have ventured beyond the North Pole into areas claimed by Russia. The flights are the first step towards building a case that Canada’s Arctic sovereignty could reach past the Pole despite Russia’s determination to extend its own northern footprint.

“We are surveying where appropriate to define the outer limits of Canada’s continental shelf,” Jacob Verhoef, the Natural Resources Canada geophysicist in charge of the project told The Canadian Press in an email.

Canada and Denmark recently completed a series of joint mapping flights from three remote northern airstrips to begin studying the series of undersea mountains and ridges that will determine how the United Nations will divvy up most of the Arctic Ocean.

The flights were originally said to end at the North Pole. But Verhoef now confirms some of those flights continued past the Pole.

“We are also investigating the possible continuity of the Lomonosov Ridge beyond the North Pole and therefore have collected supporting data beyond the pole on some of the flight lines during the recent survey,” Verhoef said.

Although Russia hasn’t filed a formal claim for those waters leading up to the North Pole, it has made no secret of its intent to do so.

As well, Russia has undertaken a variety of moves that some call sabre-rattling, from announcing the formation of special Arctic army units to the release of a policy document that warns of the possibility of violence over the North’s resources.

But the fact Canada hasn’t simply accepted the North Pole as the extent of its claims shows a willingness to play some diplomatic hardball, said Rob Huebert at the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary.

"We’re not backing off on this one," he said. “We’re going to have to wait and see what the Russians do about it.”

[/quote]

Go Canada! :canada:

Actually, we’ve just concluded an (yeah, that’s right, fuckers, “an”) historic summit meeting.
After signing what will go down in history as The Treaty of Cheap Famous Grouse, Snadman and myself have decided that, in the interests of Polar Unity and what’s known in Scots Gaelic as “Elbeh Reum”, we are officially claiming all the other bits.
We’ll be establishing said claim over the next year or so, on a gradual basis, so just watch for ever increasing numbers of chip wagons, proper Blues Bars, and late night curry/donair takeaways to be popping up across the region.

We’re thinking of calling the new dominion something catchy like Chiefsnadistan.

Or maybe just Norm.

Our motto:
Pizzus et mairia frigus venum pretium oportet

Just make sure you keep away from my bit. You can pop round for a friendly drink. But don’t start oppressing me, I have a battleship.