Are Asian-Americans at a disadvantage?

Racism is rooted in ignorance, not necessarily malice. Everybody knows that old gramps back home, 80 years old and his mind is still stuck in 1925, racist and bigoted as hell but one of the nicest, sweetest folks you’ll ever meet. He doesn’t mean any harm, it’s just the way he was brought up. Taiwanese are the same way. Their mentality is stuck in our grandparents’ age. Ignorance, not malice.

so asian faces how much do you guys get per hour or per month?

ya I went apply for a job and she was like I am gold here…and I should try to look for companies that needs people like me (bilingual)…so are there jobs like this for us? very few you said? can you elaborate a little please thanks

[quote=“Yi”][quote=“Dead Wizard”]
So do you have duel citizenship? If so is your Chinese completely fluent? The reason I’m asking is because I’m curious if you are a true Chinese-English bilingual why would you want to limit yourself to teaching English in Taiwan? Man, people like you are suppose to be hot commodities here! Unless you really enjoy teaching or have some sort of certification I can’t figure why you would want to continue working in a profession that you acknowledge has a “deeply entrenched” prejudice against your enthnicity? If you are looking for a “place” that makes full use of your biligual abilities why not try some multi-national corporation? The pay is supposedly good in these multi-nationals (comparable to English teaching, but with a 40 hour work week), with better benefits, better chance of promotion or getting a raise, and offers some sort of career path (this is especially important if you intend to return to the US and hope to find any kind of job that pays better than entry-level wages).[/quote]

Oh boy. Where do I begin? First, I also have dual citizenship and I am multilingual. I teach because I enjoy it and I do not think teaching is limiting. Yes, there are barriers to climb over and break down and I was turned down several times due to the fact that I am Chinese, ignoring the fact that I have taught professionally elsewhere. Nobody gets a free ride in life.
Second, the “bilingual-hot commodity” link is a myth here. There are very little high paying (non-teaching) jobs here that actually require English/Chinese speakers. I have also applied for non-teaching positions with comments such as “you’re overqualified” or “we don’t know how to classify you (racially)” :loco: .
I don’t want to go into detail about my previous job but it was high paying, secure and in the US. But not everyone wants to live in the US as not all of us are US citizens nor care to be. So my point is if you see teaching here as a “get rich quick” scheme then you are not helping those of us that truly want to make a difference and give back to our community.[/quote]