Are buiders in Taidong/Hualien areas the cheapest builders in taiwan and where to find them?

Dear All and especially the mods, please do not move this thread anywhere else as this should probably be my major topic of concern.

Where and how can I find builders in Taiwan especially in the Taidong Hualien areas? Especially small-time builders and contractors?

Cheers

I have a feeling I know the answer which the builders will give me and my gut instinct is already telling me I do not have the money to hire taiwanese builders but I need to be sure.

Cheers

Not sure how to contact Southern Builders but for smaller jobs ,they can be innovative. :ponder:

After every major typhoon, there are usually reports of buildings that collapsed due to having, oh, vegetable oil cans inside the concrete work, and things like that. But I’m sure the buildings were cheap.

If you’re still on about building in a mountainous area, you may not want to make price your primary consideration for choosing a builder. Just sayin’.

Hualian monk, a couple questions:

1. Are you really a monk?
  2. (if yes to #1) what lineage?
  3. What is your profession?
  4. WTF did these guys ask you, who have crazy pipe dreams and NO clue about logistics, to figure this out for them?
  5. Why do you not hire someone who actually knows something to do this for you?
  6. Have you ever heard the expression, “you get what you pay for”? Every post is about trying to get something dirt cheap…well, you may eventually get something dirt cheap, but come next typhoon, gonna have a bunch o’ dead lamas.
  7. Why not actually take people’s advice here?
  8. Did you actually read all of these :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Confuzius”]Hualian monk, a couple questions:

1. Are you really a monk?
  2. (if yes to #1) what lineage?
  3. What is your profession?
  4. WTF did these guys ask you, who have crazy pipe dreams and NO clue about logistics, to figure this out for them?
  5. Why do you not hire someone who actually knows something to do this for you?
  6. Have you ever heard the expression, “you get what you pay for”? Every post is about trying to get something dirt cheap…well, you may eventually get something dirt cheap, but come next typhoon, gonna have a bunch o’ dead lamas.
  7. Why not actually take people’s advice here?
  8. Did you actually read all of these :p[/quote]

No lamas are cheating my money if that’s what you are worried about?

Also, can i also assume that 100,000 NTD (4k USD) is too low for me to build a one-man meditation hut?

there are a lot of things to consider…but perhaps one good one that is important at the beginning is the foundation and slab.

Foundations are pretty straight forward, just set up metal/forms and pour. slabs here are different than NA at least in that they -should- reinforce the shit out of them. i used to think it was a scam by the rebar guys, but now we have a good family friend in the business and i get it more. Usually the ground is dug down to hard pan (clay) and then filled with appropriate rock sizes (gravel). here its not, though dirt here is hard naturally due to no top soil left, and often times they will use shitty soil mixed with crap to fill under houses. gravel from the pits would be better, but might be hard if you are in the mountains. there are diggers that can help you, but its illegal and some areas really do watch for illegal rock mining.

anyway, the reason for gravel is it wont settle as much and create air pockets under your slab (slab=floor concrete, the big flat surface area on your home). here they will use dirt often because its easily…this equals lazy/cheap. but then we come round to why there is so much damn rebar in our floors! not just earthquakes which rebar is needed for, but because the soil under the house may be so crappy and have pockets in it, without the rebar the floors would crack far more when the ground shuffles.

building a home here is a nightmare if you don’t know what to watch for. finding workers that even know how to do something right is hard, never mind do something well and honest.

expect to pay $2000/day for average workers slightly above laborer level.

$100,000 could do a small one if you do most yourself. it all depends on what style/materials and how big. 10x10m for foundation, slab and outer wall posts with rebar/concrete (no bricks) will be about $300,000 here. then there is brick, plumbing, electrical, windows/doors, roof etc.

Flat concrete roof try to avoid for $, they have a lot of rebar in them too and cost a lot to make, but they are nice to go up on. metal roof is far cheper.

Buy stress pills.