Are derogatory words allowed on Forumosa?

Anyone it wants to.

“Neoconservative”.

Ah, neo-con. I know that one. Spoddy Uhmericans of the ‘always right’ genus.

“Nazi” isn’t a racial slur.

Problem with that being, his father was Kenyan. They aren’t Negroes by a long shot. Kenyans are Bantu peoples

:thumbsup:

I know this chick, and I called her “peanuthead” today, does that count?

Hey, somebody call Chewie a “podunk self-loathing peckerwood shitkicker” and see if you get suspended.

I know this dude. I called him “dipshit” today. Does that count? Even if it’s fairly accurate?

Damn! You COLD!!!

Cause my teady bear got chewed up by the new puppy and now there’s no one to keep me warm.

“Nazi” isn’t a racial slur.[/quote]

Really? If someone is labelled a Nazi, you generally assume that they adhere to the Nazi version of the theory of the master race, right? Definite racial connotations if you ask me.

Personally, I think it’s 10X worse to call someone a Nazi than a term that derived from a harmless Arabic word (mulatto). Ask 10 people on the street which word they think is more offensive. Some may say both, but I can almost guarantee which one most will pick.

But, of course, Screaming Jesus doesn’t fit into majority opinions on Forumosa and that makes all the difference in his treatment, right? :laughing:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]

But, of course, Screaming Jesus doesn’t fit into majority opinions on Forumosa and that makes all the difference in his treatment, right? :laughing:[/quote]That’s because his antics do not quite qualify as valid opinions…

Comments such as this introduce an semi-interesting element:

Do condescending comments about the posts of others equal derogatory comments?

It is noted that smarmy, passive-aggressive comments are intended to be the same as a slam. Just done in a manner of intended “intellect.”
But failing miserably.

A silly old trick - attempting to make one look above others by trying to stand on others.
Funny trick…as effective a a limp-wristed bitch-slap…LOL!

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

But, of course, Screaming Jesus doesn’t fit into majority opinions on Forumosa and that makes all the difference in his treatment, right? :laughing:[/quote]That’s because his antics do not quite qualify as valid opinions…[/quote]

But comments equating Bush with Nazis (and the associated racial connotations) count as valid opinions? :laughing: :unamused: If you’re going to ban someone for two weeks for calling Obama a mulatto (the etymology of which is based on a harmless Arabic word meaning outsider) shouldn’t you also ban someone for two weeks for calling Bush a Nazi (and the associated racial connotations that are associated with that label)?

To me, there is a double standard there that needs reconsidering. :laughing: I mean, the word mulatto is derived from a term that essentially means outsider in Arabic. The Nazis and their notion of racial superiority gassed over 5 million people–Jews, homosexual, gypsies etc. One word is a fuck of a lot worse than the other. End of story. :unamused: That one label is banworthy and one isn’t demonstrates piss poor judgement IMHO. :smiley: Thankfully, things have improved recently in terms of evenhandedness.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
But comments equating Bush with Nazis (and the associated racial connotations) count as valid opinions? If you’re going to ban someone for two weeks for calling Obama a mulatto (the etymology of which is based on a harmless Arabic word meaning outsider) shouldn’t you also ban someone for two weeks for calling Bush a Nazi (and the associated racial connotations that are associated with that label)? [/quote]

Chewy is on target here. If you are serious about keeping the discussion civil, ban for both. Or even better, just delete the posts. No Temp, no Flame, just kill 'em.

And since I have not stood on this particular soapbox in a year or so, let me say that if’in I was moderator of I.P., I’d have deleted these threads as soon as they went up:

Good Example of Why American-Style Capitalism is Bad
Texas GOP Platform…rightwingers, please defend it.
Dem Sen. Ted Kennedy’s KGB Correspondence
More Self-Loathing Hypocritical Blowhardery from the Right
Israel as a state headed for fascism
Republicans Need Cuckoo part II
Why the Left is Better

These titles are crap, and none of them are conducive to a serious exchange of ideas. Calling Bush a nazi is crap. Throwing deleted posts into the moderators-only flame forum, where they are giggled at and drooled over and argued about by mods obsessed with drama is crap.

“Nazi” isn’t a racial slur.[/quote]

Really? If someone is labelled a Nazi, you generally assume that they adhere to the Nazi version of the theory of the master race, right? Definite racial connotations if you ask me.[/quote]
First of all, the Nazis were agents of racism, not recipients of it. A very different thing from calling someone a racial slur.

Second of all, when people call others “Nazi” in a political context, they are usually referring to authoritarianism, regimentation and extreme right-wing politics. People called Bush a Nazi (and notice it was nameless protestors on the street, not radio personalities or politicians, who did so) because of certain things he did that paralleled Germany in the 1930s: unprovoked invasion of a country, use of torture, and spying on his own citizens.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

A silly old trick - attempting to make one look above others by trying to stand on others.
Funny trick…as effective a a limp-wristed bitch-slap…LOL![/quote]Well, have you considered that maybe I was just saying what I think?

I have not read the posts that got him banned, but he is using the word negro to refer to black people in this thread. He was previously banned for what seems to be a similar offense. Maybe he’s just a slow learner. :laughing:

He can call black people negros if he wishes but I think it is immature and perhaps racist, too. It is also lacking respect for many readers. If you find my opinion condescending, then tough luck for me. :wink:

If only that’s all they did. But its worse, far worse. Ever wondered why its so difficult to buy KY Jelly here? SOMEBODY – I’ve no idea who – but SOMEBODY or SOMEBODIES are snapping it up as soon as it hits the shelves. Just sayin’ is all. Me, I carry a wee spray bottle of alcohol at happy hours, just in case one wants to shake my hand or something.
Careful is as careful does.

[quote]But comments equating Bush with Nazis (and the associated racial connotations) count as valid opinions?[/quote]I do not recall writing anything to that effect. I quoted a specific part of your post for a reason. Do not read too far into it.

Personally, I think needlessly using any of the terms- mulatto, negro or nazi- is in poor taste at best. These words carry a lot of negative baggage and should be avoided. I don’t see how saying someone is a nazi can be defended, unless s/he actually is.