Are English language blogs on the Taiwan politics monitored?

When I hear the term ‘lobbyist journalist’, the phrase political hackery comes to mind as well. I think it’s rather an obvious statement that “to lobby”, the blogger in question accentuates the positives that support your position while simultaneously obfuscating the negatives. In fact, that’s exactly the type of behavior you seem to be calling for in your rather limp-wristed call to arms above. And yes, I wouldn’t object if someone pointed at that behavior and called it political hackery rather than journalism.

ac_dropout has a differing opinion of how a journalist (professional or amateur) should conduct his trade. Don’t hide your moral ambiguity behind an assumed language barrier.

Here’s my answer to the original question, presented in the form of an unrelated question. Does the White House monitor Chinese-language blogs for policy advice?

I’ve never heard the term ‘lobbyist journalist’ before you used it. Bloggers aren’t journalists; they try to do commentary and analysis. I shouldn’t have compared newspapers having foreign correspondents with bloggers in foreign countries, since foreign correpondents are not supposed to have a vested interest in the area they are reporting about while Americans living abroad like Michael have a life/family in the foreign country, and so are vested in it. I think that Michael should be an advocate, an activist. To do so, unless you want to use violence, you must be persuasive using the written and spoken word, which Michael is. I also like his analysis re Taiwan. That’s why his commentary should reach other activist blogs/audiences and policy makers.Do you know that there are lobbyists in the US who are not evil? Who don’t have greed as their main motive? A person can be persuasive without lying or obfuscating or spinning or marketing or buying someone off. These are the kind of people a strong democracy needs. If we are lucky, these kind of people talk to policy makers and can also be known as ‘lobbyists’. These kind of people can also blog and influence voters, or form organizations. And as far as me asking ac about his language status, I would cut him more slack if English was his second language and be more willing to explain things since he might not have the same grasp of vocab that a native speaker does. Furthermore, if Taiwan ever needed the US to send in more than just a hang kong mu jian to defend itself from the bully across the way, then Taiwan policy makers would need to pay a great deal of attention to American public opinion, which could perhaps also be influenced by Taiwan English-language bloggers of Michael’s caliber. As far as the Taiwan Lobby goes, I think there is more than one. I know there are the independence advocates and then there was the old KMT dipomatic apparatus. I don’t really know now about the different groups trying to influence US policy makers about Taiwan. Can anyone post on this?

lobbyist journalist
-Political commentary Op/Ed people
-Opinion makers
-Michelle Milkins, Anne Couric

Politically active blogging:
-Moveon.org
-Follow the Lamont vs. Liberman Senate race in CT. Political bloggers are credited for Lamont success.

Idealist
-People from NJ

You understand of course there are lobby groups that have no interest in “One China” and support PRC over ROC by default do to economic reasons.

Can you please explain how lobbying is democratic? Or in a concise paragraph explain what are the incentives for USA citizens to support ROC over PRC?

Because it is pretty obvious reading your past couple of post you are grasping at straws. You have no definitive goal, no action plan, no particular audience, yet you believe a grassroot movement will magically appear around a blog.

You don’t mind if I entertain myself punching holes in your grand plan with my limited command of Chinglish?

ac, i don’t have a grand plan, just a few ideas. but apparently some political ‘hacks’ are going to be hatching some grand plans with michael. go to michaelturton.blogspot.com and tell me what you think about their idealism. and they aren’t even from nj! (we can’t all be that lucky…) also, if english is your second language, hats off to you. my chinese is elementary school level. wo tai lan-zhi hui pinyin,zhu yin, bu hui xie zi…anyway- if you look at what happened with the bloggers vis a vis lamont vs liberman as positive grassroots democracy, you’re on my side anyway. welcome and enjoy!!!

v,

[quote]http://michaelturton.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-kmt-hates-presidency.html

Why does the KMT want to bring down the President? Well, part of it, of course, is that the KMT just plain hates Chen Shui-bian for beating them twice and destroying the arrangement they had made with China prior to the 2004 election.[/quote]

Upon your advise I have revisited the site. So I take a peek at his more interesting titled blog. Micheal tries to tackle to pretty big question, but is bogged down by the political structure of ROC. Assuming I have no knowledge of ROC politics, I don’t feel well educated about any particular aspect of ROC politics.

Using my “American Eye,” the article doesn’t really motivate me to take action one way or the other. The article ends with tangent the Wang might be in power struggle with Ma, if Ma is elected President. As an American, what do I care if the KMT has an internal power struggle? As an ignorant American am I suppose to support the DPP, because the KMT might have a power struggle when they attain presidency?

Basically his blog doesn’t push my American hot buttons. Like rising gas prices, terrorism, decrease of “White/Black/Hispanic/Asian” influence in society.

I don’t think it adds any propoganda value which is to motivate people into action.

It’s just a blog where a guy is putting down his memories. Nothing more; nothing less.

Read Michael’s latest post. it’s not just putting down memories, and i don’t think his audience should be the average american. when ma ying jeo goes on npr, his audience isn’t the average american, either. at least michael is trying to do something positive, even if you believe he’s struggling. i am involved politically in my own little 2 square mile town. and yourself? you are just being a pokemon player/yu-gi-oh warrior in my book. you’re blind to people’s good intentions, or perhaps i don’t understand you, and you would like to participate in something positive for taiwan. would you? if you hold american citizenship only and don’t believe you should get involved with taiwan politics at all (even as they interface with us policy), what are you doing to improve your passport country? if you don’t think you should have to do anything, please give up your american passport to one of my illegal alien students in the us. i have several that would make excellent, civic-minded americans.

v,

How about I’m jaded to political life. I’m jaded to interpreting election laws. I’m jaded to participating in fund raisers. I’m jaded to political strategy meetings (coordinated mudslinging). I’m jaded to people seeking vanity public office position. Career politicians and wannabe challengers all looking for a photo op.

I probably would rather hangout with a bunch of magic/pokemon/yu-gi-oh fanboys that have more integrity in their little pinky than the entire room of politicains. Unfortunately fanboys don’t got much money to spend, at least not at political functions they don’t.

Okay so at least we crystalized what your goal is…you want to start another grassroot movement to tackle the “One China” policy, which is the State Department official policy for the past 30 years, ultilizing the recent popularity of blogs in the American mainstream.

My free advise is choose a party to align your project with it, then time it for 2008 for national exposure. You might want to test it out at local elections to see if any candidate even wants to attach itself to your project. In Flushing, Queens there is a elections for assemblyman in district 22. The front runner Ellen Young is from Taiwan originally. A true green hanji wink wink.

Reading is most recent entry Micheal is jaded to politics in his blog, and he doesn’t even make a living off it, just imagine how jaded people who actually work in this field are.

If you want to motivate incumbent officials or insurgent candidates to a cause and still retain some integrity afterwards, conduct a real poll of their constituents on the issue you are interested in and present the case to them. It’ll cost you a few grand, but at least you don’t feel like slime for donating the money directly to them not knowing where the money ends up.

i’m not jaded at all. i was in taiwan in 87 when martial law was first lifted. i saw people go from fear to participation. i’ll never forget that morning when cks hall was covered with grafitti-that pumped me up!! i credit being in taiwan for making me appreciate american democracy. a guy i used to talk to in taipei about environmental issues is now the head of the taiwan epa. it is f-ing awesome! my little town got some corrupt committee/land use board men thrown out and is definitely on a democratic upswing. if you don’t want to be jaded, start on a smaller scale. you gotta shake off that ‘ideas are dangerous’ hangover from traditional chinese culture. violence and trying to incite violence is dangerous,not ideas. taiwan has come a long, long way baby. and after reading some of your posts, i have to say that shrimp, hobart, and jwbrunken rock. they have got to hook up with michael. cctang’s english is flawless, but a little lacking in the compassion and sense of proportion department.

v,

Go back to watching Hollywood movies “Remember, Remember the US senate race in November.”

You won’t strain your brain so much about why Taiwan gets no political airtime in the USA.

I’ll clue you in. John Kerry tried to bash China about the RMB exchange rate, it didn’t work.
USA economy is more intertwine than ROC when it comes to China, thus pan-Greens get very little support in the USA. Even die hard US politician with TI family backgrounds like John Liu and Ellen Young can’t voice their personal opinion on the matter without political backlash. DPP politician that come to the USA to visit, are usually rebuffed when they asked these elected officials to promote their cause.

More Chinese American of PRC origins exist in the USA now. TI is a minority movement in ROC. But one can observe how insignificant TI is in a Chinese Community that exists in the mature USA democratic system. Even known active TI supporters that have become elected official don’t voice their opinion for fear of political suicide in the next election cycle. East Coast and West Coast Chinese American of PRC origin are changing politics of what use to be pro-ROC population.

But be my guess praise the bloggers, I doubt they can change situation much. You have 2 years to prove me wrong.

PS- I think you have misinterpreted what is the root cause for my cynicism toward politics in the USA.

PPS- If your translator has problem with my prose, just the indicate the problem area and I will change the syntax so your computer won’t have problems translating it. Sometime my passive voice causes a problem for non-native speakers.

v,

I have a pretty low opinion of “political hacks” in general. Only fools paint their ideology as being the “truth” and the work of enlightened men, and only liars slander those they disagree with as false prophets destined to failure. I happen to think a lot more real work would get done if false rhetoric and “activism” was made illegal. No, I’m not predicting the end of warfare and conflict… sometimes we conflict over issues where no peaceful resolution is possible. But at least we get rid of foggy exaggeration.

Here’s my idea. Let’s make Mike Turton audit a year’s worth of classes at the Communist Party Central School in Beijing. (They’d probably let him.) Let’s also make him write a blog advocating for pro-Chinese perspectives for another year. As soon as he’s argued both sides of the fence eloquently and intelligently, I’ll become much more inclined to respect his blog as the work of an informed individual.

The nit-picking over journalism and truth aside… I have to say, I don’t really understand what you’re advocating for. You want another group of activists to remind Americans that China is not to be trusted, and that Taiwan is at risk of Chinese invasion? Isn’t that just a rehash of public opinion from the last 50 years? Even when Taiwan was under the boot of KMT oppression, it was being described as “Free China” in Washington DC… with the clear implication that the fall of Taiwan implied the fall of east Asia (and presumably the whole world) to Communism. What new path is being blazed here?

In my opinion, the new wave of the 21st century will be a generation of bilingual English/Chinese writers that will help the West get a more fair and nuanced view of China. For the first time in 50 years, Communist China will have voices of reason capable of speaking to the Western public and their political colleagues in DC. For the first time in 50 years, Communist China will have bloggers posting on the Daily Kos and guest columnists writing for the National Review. Sure, we’ve had ideological extremists in the '50s-'70s… but now, finally, we can have a discussion with mainstream America about what’s really happening in east Asia.

Hopefully, we’ll be able to finally explain that:

• Chinese nationalism (with a small ‘n’) is not necessarily a threat; indeed, it could be a welcome, peaceful force that will lead to the betterment of billions of lives in Asia.

• the Chinese leadership are infinitely rational when calculating their own interests, and understand that Taiwan’s peaceful reunification is likely inevitable… and much more easily won with the carrot, than the stick.

• few Chinese would volunteer to die for the cause of spreading Communist to Taiwan (or anywhere else); many Chinese would sacrifice much for what might be perceived as a life or death struggle of China.

• China and the United States do not necessarily have to be enemies; that China hungers to be embraced by the West as a peer, rather than as a master.

• those who cover themselves with the flag of democracy do not necessarily practice it; as is the case in Taiwan, where a minority government recklessly push an extremist political agenda that government opinion polls consistently show do not reflect the popular opinion of the Taiwanese people.

• that Chinese nationalism and Taiwanese nationalism are mutually exclusive, but that “Communism” (in the PRC sense) and democracy are not.

That comprehension is what the 21st century will bring to Sino-Taiwanese-American relations.

Oh, and nide hanyu pinyin shuiping bu cuo le. jixu nuli; hui pinyin hou, xue hanzi ye rongyi duo le. you jihui yinggai zai dalu dai ji nian. baozheng henduo zhongguo pengyou yuanyi bang ni duanling nide zhongwen.

I have to disagree. In US politics, the Taiwan Caucus is the second largest in Congress. To say its not mentioned in media is silly, as of all East Asian and South Asian countries mentioned in American media, Taiwan is usually mentioned behind China and Japan and North Korea. For a small island where nothing but internals go on, its faring pretty good.

More recently South Asia has been getting the spotlight due to the massive Tsunami, and the rising tensions between Pakistan, and India for outsourcing.

You guys are spreading propoganda and twisting facts as usual.

Finally I’m REALLY REALLY FREAKING TIRED of both of your condescending attitudes towards others with different opinions. Its not serving your interests, thats for sure.

cc tang, xie xie nide guli. wo ye yao meiguoren you bijiao nuanced view of China/Taiwan relations. Ok, you can see why I describe my Chinese as elementary level. I think Michael, working with other bloggers and posting on big blogs and writing commentary in print media can give that nuanced view. My rule of thumb is no one gets a chance to rule unless there is a peaceful mechanism to throw them out- China doesn’t have that, Taiwan does. This is what mainstream America needs to know if it ever comes down to a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. Maybe Americans at that point will be sick of war and do nothing to help Taiwan (they didn’t help HK and the souls there have as much right to govern themselves as Taiwan does). Americans have the right to make the choice not to help Taiwan- but it has to be an informed choice- that’s where Michael’s blog comes in. Then there comes the argument of the geopolitical importance of Taiwan in reining in China, which I don’t completely understand, but which might also be a very compelling argument. I think bloggers also have to address the idea that Taiwan historically belongs to China, therefore China has a right to take it. I think the majority of Mainland Chinese have this view. This is a completely wrong, inhumane idea that treats people as animals/property. The people on Taiwan have to decide theirown destiny. Americans (not raised on the idea of Chinese nationalism as a source of pride) will agree with me. I think all peoples of the world, not just Mainland Chinese or Taiwanese, should look at what Taiwan has accomplished and be proud. They aren’t perfect and they are going against a cultural history that is anitthetical to democracy, but they are progressing. China has a populace that can rule themselves as well. People all over the world aren’t that different- we all want similar things- its just that there is a small minority of ruthless, greedy, powerhungry people that want to tell us what to do and think, and we can easily be controlled by fear, our own stupidity, or love of material things into not standing up to them. Democracy and the rule of law is the antidote to them. When individuals like Shi Ming Deh can be imprisoned for years and years and still have the courage to walk out of jail and start over again doing the very thing that caused them to lose their freedom, i have to say that no one has the right to be something as petty as cynical or jaded. ac dropout and cc tang, you should seek sources of inspiration- see the courage humans are capable of. i’m no leader or some great activist, but i know who to admire. people like shih ming deh give me the energy to do what little part i’m capable of. i never get jaded- i just know i have to fight my own laziness. so i appreciate people who are full of energy -like shrimp crackers (keep up the good work,sc!) PS ac dropout- if i don’t understand something you write, i will tell you, because i value the exchange of ideas and want to understand you.

cc tang, xie xie nide guli. wo ye yao meiguoren you bijiao nuanced view of China/Taiwan relations. Ok, you can see why I describe my Chinese as elementary level. I think Michael, working with other bloggers and posting on big blogs and writing commentary in print media can give that nuanced view. My rule of thumb is no one gets a chance to rule unless there is a peaceful mechanism to throw them out- China doesn’t have that, Taiwan does. This is what mainstream America needs to know if it ever comes down to a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. Maybe Americans at that point will be sick of war and do nothing to help Taiwan (they didn’t help HK and the souls there have as much right to govern themselves as Taiwan does). Americans have the right to make the choice not to help Taiwan- but it has to be an informed choice- that’s where Michael’s blog comes in. Then there comes the argument of the geopolitical importance of Taiwan in reining in China, which I don’t completely understand, but which might also be a very compelling argument. I think bloggers also have to address the idea that Taiwan historically belongs to China, therefore China has a right to take it. I think the majority of Mainland Chinese have this view. This is a completely wrong, inhumane idea that treats people as animals/property. The people on Taiwan have to decide theirown destiny. Americans (not raised on the idea of Chinese nationalism as a source of pride) will agree with me. I think all peoples of the world, not just Mainland Chinese or Taiwanese, should look at what Taiwan has accomplished and be proud. They aren’t perfect and they are going against a cultural history that is anitthetical to democracy, but they are progressing. China has a populace that can rule themselves as well. People all over the world aren’t that different- we all want similar things- its just that there is a small minority of ruthless, greedy, powerhungry people that want to tell us what to do and think, and we can easily be controlled by fear, our own stupidity, or love of material things into not standing up to them. Democracy and the rule of law is the antidote to them. When individuals like Shi Ming Deh can be imprisoned for years and years and still have the courage to walk out of jail and start over again doing the very thing that caused them to lose their freedom, i have to say that no one has the right to be something as petty as cynical or jaded. ac dropout and cc tang, you should seek sources of inspiration- see the courage humans are capable of. i’m no leader or some great activist, but i know who to admire. people like shih ming deh give me the energy to do what little part i’m capable of. i never get jaded- i just know i have to fight my own laziness. so i appreciate people who are full of energy -like shrimp crackers (keep up the good work,sc!) PS ac dropout- if i don’t understand something you write, i will tell you, because i value the exchange of ideas and want to understand you.

oops, i got too excited. how do i delete the 2 extra posts?

v,

1. China has a mechanism of peaceful transition of power, it is just not transparent to outsiders. Did civil war start on the mainland when Hu took power? It can be argued that Taiwan’s system doesn’t promote a peaceful transition of power. The last couple of elections ended in riots. So you believe a transparent but violent system is better than a non-transparent but peaceful system.

2. USA alliance with ROC is based on the KMT relationship. In addition, based on Nixion’s meeting with Chou it seems quite clear USA wants to steer Taiwan towards a peaceful reunification with China. The only thing that could trigger PRC invasion of ROC has been transparently announced to the world in their ASL.

3. USA leaders can make an informed choice about how to assist in resolving the “One China” issue. But that means they need to hear problem from both sides of Taiwan’s political aisle; pan-Blue and pan-Green. In addition, they need to be aware of ROC and PRC interest in the final resolution of the Strait Issue. Unfortunately, Michael’s blog like the other posters you unabashly support are one-sided.

4. Taiwan’s role in the USA led “Containment Policy” of China has been diminished for a variety of reason.

5. Of course the rights and opinions of ROC citizens that believe in unification with PRC, should be dismissed. Not to mention those that have no opinion on “One China” but believe in establishing the 3 links should be muted. Since they cause too much confusion to those not raised on “Chinese nationalism.”

6. Whatever accomplishment the KMT did to develop ROC democracy on Taiwan has been utterly destroy by pan-Green political hacks like CSB. The only pride that some Taiwanese feel now is the president gets to speak Minnan on TV. Other than that most Taiwanese don’t feel proud of the leaders they’ve elected.

However, in PRC, I hear 80% of the population are proud of their leader, country, and progress. And they didn’t even have to put up with the burden of listening to racially charged campaigns, fake assassinations, or a slew of scandals that add up to the size of Yu Shan.

1. Shi Ming Deh was the ideal of the DPP. But then he wanted $5 USD from everyone to impeach CSB. Now I think he’s a political opportunist trying to make a quick buck. I hope CSB and Shi Ming Deh have fun suing and counter-suing each other.

PS - Learn to make paragraphs or points. Because like your original grand plan, your prose have no organized train of thought and thus causes confusion on what exactly is your point. You know like a “topic sentence” would be nice.

Taking your suggestion, I will respond to each of your numbered comments in the same order with a corresponding number. I’m usually in a hurry when I write because I’m neglecting my family duties by spending so much time on the computer. That time, unfortunately, will end when I have to go back to teaching in September :frowning:

1. Things were peaceful because Tiananmen (6/4) was still in everyone’s memory.

2. Nixon and Chou are dead- it’s my world and the world of my children now. As for the PRC saying it will attack only if Taiwan declares independence, bullies can say whatever they want.

3. USA leaders and citizens need to listen to both sides- yes, I agree. Therefore I support your efforts to blog and you support Michael’s efforts to blog. As a matter of fact, I think it would be a good exercise in democracy to have little debates all over the place or live chats on this subject. People would conduct themselves with courtesy, as we are doing, and so serve as a good example for others.

4. I’m clueless and so can’t comment.

5. ROC citizens who support reunification have a right to express their opinion.

6. If people believe CSB sucks- he will be voted out. I’m waiting for my chance with Bush. If I could find a way to legally get him out,I’d work for that too. Taiwanese being angry at their leaders is quantum/google leaps ahead of being terrorized into silence by them vis a vis Jiang Gong Gong. If 80% of the Mainlalnd population is proud of their leaders- that’s great. But the basic human rights of the minority population who are dissatisfied must be protected.

7. Whatever Shih Ming Deh has now become will never tarnish his ongoing example of courage for me.

8. You know, my husband is a waisheng ren and experienced a lot of prejudice in Taiwan growing up. It was one of the factors that led him to join a gang (si hai I think). When we went back to Taiwan and Taiwanese people would ask in a slightly aggressive way if he were Taiwanese, he would say “no, i’m american.” now that we are in america, if someone good-naturedly asks if he is chinese, he says “no, taiwanese”. i think me being lao wai gives him a feeling of security. anyway, i was just wondering if you were waisheng ren as well.

1. I don’t see the coloration between 6/4 and the peaceful transition of power between Jiang and Hu 20 years later. Can you please elaborate?

2. That answer seems like you’re in denial about real events that effect the current situation on Taiwan. That is correct dead people set in motion a series of events that leads us to the current situation on Taiwan. One cannot implement change effectively, if one doesn’t acknowledge and become fully aware of the current situation.

3. I recommend reading Bevin’s Blog. He blogs about what the other side of Taiwan believes the Strait Issue solution should be. thechinadesk.tripod.com/the_strait_scoop.htm

4. A lot of people even from CSB own party and alliance want him out of office. LTH and Shih De Min are just a few. Not to mention a whole slew of reports are coming out about how CSB administration intimidated various business to donate or realign their business practice to his politics.

5. A lot of girls in the Mainland felt Mao Ze Dong was flawless as well. Idols only lead to disappointment.

6. I’m a sweat potato/taro (BSR/WSR) hybrid born in Taipei. Father from Ilan, Mother from Guangdong. Like a lot of people with my background we don’t like the course Taiwan political dialogue is going. We are children of “Mainland pig/whore” and “Japanese house slaves,” left to wonder if we “Love Taiwan” enough.

Identity is a tricky thing. There is that joke “I was an American for 30 days after 9/11” that minorities like to say.

Sometimes I ponder why Asian Americans are perceived as perpetual immigrants. Like the Korean American mayor in NJ who was called a foreigner when he is as American as any person a few shades lighter.

So how I label myself really depends on who is asking and why?

But for the sake of this conversation I guess I could be the “Annoying ABC from NYC”

v,

I personally think you would benefit from exactly the kind of 21st century dialogue I was referring to earlier. You have internalized an awful lot of biases and half-truths that are coloring your perspective of cross-strait affairs.

Instead of making this a point by point debate… let me just point out a few things.

• there are plenty of inspirational heroes amongst the Chinese nationalists as well. Do you know anything about them? What gave you even the slightest hint that I am not inspired by them?

• when you say that “people around the world can rule themselves”; do you have any ideas for where that line should be drawn?

In many areas of the United States, Spanish-speaking citizens are now becoming a majority. If a majority of them were to vote for independence and/or reunification with Mexico, would you support their efforts to rule themselves? In other areas of the United States, naturalized citizens of Arab descent are now forming a majority. Do you support their efforts to rule themselves by, perhaps, declaring independence and implementing Islamic law?

Do you really understand the basis of Chinese desires for Taiwan? Or are you an “activist” that has picked the first executive summary that appealed to your sensibilities, and never bothered to hear the other side of the story?

ac, i’ve already read some of what bevin has written. the part i like is about americans not spilling blood in a war over taiwan. i would modify that, though, to say that americans need to be more informed so they can decide if they want to spill blood or endure some kind of financial hardship over taiwan. bevin says the majority on taiwan doesn’t want independence- he doesn’t point out what is obvious to anyone who has lived there, which is that the majority of taiwanese don’t support independence because they don’t want to be invaded by the PRC. cctang, to be perfectly honest, if the majority of citizens in a region of the US wanted to separate and become an independent country with no legal links or benefits from the US federal government, I would say go ahead as long as the rights of the minority in that region were protected. (1776 America’s break from England is a similar example). All the states of the US have a certain degree of autonomy anyway. at each level of organization from the individual to the home to the town to the county to the state there exists certain levels of autonomy. Furthermore the relationship between the power of the states and the federal government is not static. For example, Bush has exerted more control over education nationwide by tying reaching national benchmarks to receiving federal funding (previously only the town, and then the state, set whatever standards it wanted). States can still exercise autonomy by not accepting federal funding. At the level of the family, I can home school my child if I want, although different states have varying laws about doing this. As a last resort, people can leave the US freely if they want. Let’s say I was the democratically elected governor of Hawaii and at some future time the US federal government became as authoritarian as the PRC so that any attempts to change it would lead to prison or being run over by a tank, in fact, the US in this hypothetical will launch missiles at my island if I continue to act according to the original US Constitution. In that situation I would appeal to the nations of the world to sell me weapons and help me in any way they could so that I could secede from the US. The key point here is not my race or culture or historical claim, the key point in this hypothetical is that authoritarian policy makers will trample on my freedoms to the point of threatening my very life and the life of my loved ones if I don’t bend to their will. Again-Spirit of '76. In West Windsor, nj they have a Taiwanese-American mayor and the town has agreed to teach Mandarin as a second language. In my town, they teach Spanish, but if it is important enough to me, I can always move- small example, but illustrative. If I don’t want American culture to be too heavily influenced by Latinos or Muslims, I can cut down on immigration and work to support policies that will help their home countries so that these people don’t want to immigrate in the first place. OK, I’d love for this to make more sense, but my daughters are bugging me and you guys are smart. You can see my points. So could you give me the reunification side, because you’re right, I either don’t understand it, or just plain can’t sympathize with it.