Are "F buddies" a better option than marriage?

my best friend feels that F buddies are the way to go. in fact a lot of people feel that marriage may be a thing of the past, though i still believe in it as the salvation for civilization.
i read where like 50% of the babies born in sweden were out of wedlock. is this the trend? have we really reached the Murphy Brown Age? do i sound like a “Sex and the City” prologue?

You watch a lot of TV and maybe talk when you type. I have no idea what you sound like but I’d guess you are fair haired.

Rantheman wrote [quote]do i sound like a “Sex and the City” prologue?[/quote]

Yes, and we’re going to insert a “girlie” into your name.

If I had ever watched Sex and the City, my favourite charcter would be Charlotte. But I haven’t, so I don’t know who she is. :wink:

That’s it. I need to get the wax removed from my ears.

Well, most of those babies born in Sweden grow up living with both their biological parents. (Or, both think that they are the baby’s biological parents)… A marriage in anything but name.

gimme a break guys. think about it. marriage can mess up your life.

Marriage can CHANGE your life a great deal… but I have never regretted getting married, even though I had to go thru a rather traumatic split at the end of it.

If you go ahead and get kids… Well, then you as a dad must stick around. No way around that. Your responsibility does not end when a portion of sperm is delivered, it ends when the last of your offspring collects his or hers college diploma.

It depends what you’re looking for. F*ck buddies (Paoyou in Mandarin) are great when you’re young, or when you’re single.

Why do you think that?

I think Friend with Benefits is good when you’re young and really don’t want the bother (annoyance) of a boy-/girlfriend.

But I think a child should have a mom and a dad who are married.

It depends what you want. If all you want’s a fuck, then of course it’s fuck buddies. If you want a companion and a fuck, then marriage (de facto or legit) would be the way to go.

Anyway, why’d you make this thread ran? We already know you have a thing against marriage (and for good reason).

Marriage changes nothing. OK, maybe it does, you can file taxes together

Kids change everything and you don’t even have to be married.

Wait 500 years, and we’ll see how Sweden’s doing. The U.S. will probably be all Mormon by then.

Think about it this way. Do you want your whole life to consist of shallow-ish relationships with no commitment–no real sense of family? If yes, then if you work hard and save money, maybe you can OWN that bar in Thailand. If not, then find yourself a nice girl and settle down.

Why?

Because I’m traditional. Because it must be nice to grow up in a family where the parents are happily married.

Why?[/quote]

Why not? :slight_smile:

Why?[/quote]

Why not? :slight_smile:[/quote]

1. waste of time
  2. too expensive
  3. ridiculous archaic practice mostly dominated by religion
  4. most marriages end in divorce
  5. it has no real bearing on the relationship

When you get kids, it’s a different kettle of fish.

Then you have a responsibility, toward some owing their very existence to you. (And a pretty good reason to rough up the missus if they owe their existence to somebody else).

You have to provide them with, a way to view the world, how to behave how to act, how to sit at a table and eat without making too much of a mess of it, in other words you have to bring them up, and you have to fund it.

If you are married without kids, then you can walk out from one day to the other, and well… your partner ought to be able to survive without you. If you have kids, leaving becomes so much harder.

[quote=“Mr He”]When you get kids, it’s a different kettle of fish.

Then you have a responsibility, toward some owing their very existence to you. (And a pretty good reason to rough up the missus if they owe their existence to somebody else).

You have to provide them with, a way to view the world, how to behave how to act, how to sit at a table and eat without making too much of a mess of it, in other words you have to bring them up, and you have to fund it.

If you are married without kids, then you can walk out from one day to the other, and well… your partner ought to be able to survive without you. If you have kids, leaving becomes so much harder.[/quote]
I totally agree with your assessment of the responsiblities of parenthood; however, how does marriage allow you to do this any more so than not being married?

I get equally uneasy reading about reasons why marriage is an antiquated, religious, horrible thing as I do when reading about who best makes up the pair getting married.

So, I guess I’ll stop reading this thread and leave it to the marriage ‘experts’.

You stay put.

Also, there’s inheritance and the other stuff, securing your partner in case of the unspeakable happening.

Also… It makes the womenfolk happy.