Are Foundation degrees recognised?

They’re equivalent to two-thirds of a bachelor’s degree, and the UK equivalent of an associates’ degree I believe.

With this I’ll also acquire a CELT… so will this be enough to move to Taiwan and teach English? Hear me out… I really can’t take living at home anymore, and this is the only thing that’s motivated me to work shitty jobs for the past year… just one day moving to Taiwan.

If i do a BA it will take me four years (i didn’t finish my A Levels) and that means I’ll have to put up with this hell longer than I think I’d need to.
So if anyone has a direct answer to this it would really help, thanks.

I’m sure there are others here much much more knowledgeable than me but from what I understand an associate’s degree if recognized by Taiwan is sufficient to get a cram school teaching position. Keep in mind, it will difficult to further yourself beyond cram school teaching with your degree but if you don’t want to pursue teaching as a career here then it will be enough for cram school teaching.

Best to call TECO in London, if not go straight there and ask them. Bring your diploma and just ask them. They are usually nice folks, so you’ve got nothing to lose except a little time. Afterwards, you could grab a curry at Sainsburys and eat it in the park…ah, the memories…

3 Likes

If you don’t have a BA, then an associates degree or what ever it is you have plus a TEFL is required for teaching in cram schools. I’m not sure if a CELTA can be used as well. Or, if it is useable, you might be limited to only teaching adults.

1 Like

CELTA is accepted by the MOE for teaching young learners or adults.

3 Likes

Oh, so with a CELTA plus my foundation degree I can teach adult classes then? Or should I just get a TEFL? Kinda want to move within the next year.

You need to check whether the Taiwanese Ministry of Education (MOE) considers a Foundation Degree to be the equivalent of an Associate’s Degree. I’m pretty sure it will be. The TECO in London should be able to confirm this.

CELTA is just one of many TEFL/TESL courses. The MOE accepts most TEFL courses, but you should check again if you decide to take a cheaper less-recognised course. CELTA is one of the most recognised. The MOE makes no differentiation between TEFL courses aimed at training to teach adults or young learners. Be careful about online courses, though. These can create issues.

If the MOE regards Foundation Degrees as equivalent to Associate Degrees and you pass your CELTA then you are good to go once you find an employer.

4 Likes

just looked it up, you should be able to get a visa with it. Check with TECO though.

1 Like

Will do!

Tbh should just bite the bullet and do the extra year. Be more worth it in the long-run.

1 Like

Agreed. Do whatever you can and just finish…that is if you are studying something giving you a skill or can clearly advance your life. Otherwise, dance theory doesn’t deserve another second. Sounds like the OP has the minimum for Taiwan, though.

Can it still get me far in Taiwan though? Or will i be stuck with cram schools?

What jobs are you looking for after cram school teacher?

1 Like

For many jobs, you need a degree and 2yr experience, or 5yr experience, or professional license, in the field.

2 Likes

You can always take a degree in Taiwan and teach at the same time.

No guarantee with anything though. I have nine years experience in my field plus a foundation degree only. Applied to about 30 “this is bang on” jobs in TW and got nothing back.

Probably should not have included dick pics with my CV

So you’re from the UK too? Would you just recommend i suck it up and complete a BA?

Potentially teach normal hours, like 9-5 as well as not just teaching children

I am from the UK. Sorry I’m not going to give you a recommendation as it would be a gross over-simplification of your life options, however the above is my experience so far. Note that I don’t speak a word of Chinese etc so there are other factors at play than lacking the degree.