Hotels - Are hotels supposed to have smoke alarms here?

I’m staying in a hotel right now that absolutely reeks from cigarette stench. Yet there are signs everywhere reminding people not to smoke in the hallways, bathrooms, rooms, etc.

I get that it’s the typical “we put up a sign and reminded people and that’s all we can do to stop people” attitude, but are they legally obligated to have fire alarms installed? I thought Taiwan technically banned smoking indoors. Wouldn’t smoke alarms pretty quickly make that easily enforced? (And before people tell me you can just remove the batteries or tape a plastic bag over the alarm, the ones in the my dorms in college went off if you did either of those things too)

Cigarette smoke wont trigger a smoke alarm. unless you smoke the whole pack at once.
hotels should have smoke detectors, and fire exits, and extinguishers, but your mileage may vary , depends on the hotel.

Really? I had multiple instances in college where someone lit a joint and everyone had to evacuate until the fire department came

I figured. I can roll my eyes at NT800/night shitholes but I’ve stayed in NT4000+ places and had the same problem here. Lots of 沒辦法 from the management

I thought they often used the heat-activated sprinkler things in hotels, presumably for this very reason?

depends on how sensitive the smoke detector is, and where its placed. from my experience, generally speaking cigarette smoke is not significant enough to trigger a smoke alarm.

Negative reviews on Google, TripAdvisor, etc. might lead to 有辦法, depending on how much they care about their reputation. Not that it will make a difference to you while you are now staying there.

2 Likes

I think Hotel rooms use a different type of smoke detector (Photoelectric smoke alarms), otherwise you will hear the alarm every time someone takes a hot shower or use an electric kettle

About sprinkler heads , they are triggered by heat, not smoke or vapor

Information from the National Fire Protection Association ( NFPA ):

There are two types of smoke detector : ionization smoke detection and photoelectric smoke detection

Ionization smoke alarms are generally more responsive to flaming fires.
How they work: Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm. Download this chart on ionization smoke alarms (PDF, 943 KB).

Photoelectric smoke alarms are generally more responsive to fires that begin with a long period of smoldering (called “smoldering fires”).
How they work: Photoelectric-type alarms aim a light source into a sensing chamber at an angle away from the sensor. Smoke enters the chamber, reflecting light onto the light sensor; triggering the alarm. Download this chart on photoelectric smoke alarms (PDF, 782 KB).

Sources:
https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Staying-safe/Safety-equipment/Smoke-alarms/Ionization-vs-photoelectric

2 Likes

That’s called a ‘shit’ detector.