Are jobs in Taipei easy to find?

Hi there,

another newbie to the forum, yech!!!

I am a Chinese American who is currently working in Jakarta Indonesia. I have been working here for around 10 years now and i used to enjoy the living condition here. i am working in a garment factory(yeh, sweat shop wanna be) where damn long working hours from Monday to Saturday(8am to 6pm normally if the factory has no problem). However, over here the company provides fairly nice dorm and meals. bascially i don’t need to spent a cent for the basic living need. company car will take me from the dorm to the factory or some where close to the dorm during the holiday. I get to go back to USA once a year and go back to Taipei 2 times a year(my mom has a little apartment in NeiHu, Taipei) which has a total of 28 days of holiday each year. I get paid around 40k usd/year which i can save up around 90% of it. hotels are fairly cheap also and i am ok looking so i dont need to have high expense to get the local girls to accompany me.

It was fun staying in Jakarta til recently. I am kinda bored of here now. things used to interest me has became dull. Even though i am really diguested with the Taipei’s commute, i think Taipei would a easier place for me to get a job than San Diego. Is it still fairly easy to find a job in Taipei(i major in computer science but haven’t done any computer related work for quite a long time)? will people there accept me(chinese american) as one of their own or i will be treated as an outcast? I do still keep my ROC passport and i have a taiwanese ID(my mom got that for me)

Where can i start look for job if i do decide to go back to taipei? My expense will be minium cuz i dont need to pay for any rent and the food in taipei is cheap. how’s the salary standard in Taipei thesedays? Even though i go back to taipei 3x a year, the place still feels like a mystery to me. Everytime i just go buy some electronic stuffs and comic books. i dont even know cool places to hangout… dont know anyone in taipei. I know local girls in taipei are crazy for white foreign guys, would they be interested in someone like me? i am 35yrs old, and still kinda fit.

Please shed some lights. need to know the cold hard truth so i can decide. thanks.

[quote=“veryh2o”] I know local girls in Taipei are crazy for white foreign guys, would they be interested in someone like me? I am 35yrs old, and still kinda fit.
[/quote]

First, I know an unmarried overweight underpaid secretary, so don’t worry.

Second, if you majored in Computer Science a job shouldn’t be a problem. Even without Chinese they hire CSC guys, although guys like me (as in foreign and no Chinese language) often only get hired for projects (hired as a real employee but things get kinda unfriendly after the success of the project). But if you speak fluent Chinese I guess doors should be wide open for you for a permanent job.

Payment is not very high though, some locals without a real degree in CSC start with 35000 NT per month, more experienced ones (and coming from another country makes you more valuable anyway) 48000 or whatever. Lower management or project leadership or likewise goes 60000, 65000 or maybe more.

Know what you would bring to Taiwan that (1) people want/need desperately, (2) would pay for at a reasonable level, (3) why you and not some other *BC type?

Once you’ve got this story straight, it’ll help you focus on where to look for and what to look for in Taiwan.

The economy here for professional types such as yourself isn’t that good. Plus, things are waiting a bit for how things shake out with Pres-elect Ma for rest of 2008. Lots of hope, but let’s see the delivery.

I’d definitely suggest coming out here and taking a look and might as well send your resumes to some headhunters here for some feedback and chit chat next time you’re on the ROC. Also, don’t just look at Taiwan… it’s really Greater China Area.

Good luck!

[quote=“veryh2o”]

It was fun staying in Jakarta til recently. I am kinda bored of here now. [/quote]

GO TO BATAM in Indonesia. It’s a free trade zone (easy to get a job with your qualifications) with lots of added plusses (local girls will be fighting over you day after day) . Furthermore, Singapore is only a short ferry ride away in case you want to elevate your taste in women from the Kampung to the Penthouse.

[quote=“bob_honest”]

First, I know an unmarried overweight underpaid secretary, so don’t worry.

Second, if you majored in Computer Science a job shouldn’t be a problem. Even without Chinese they hire CSC guys, although guys like me (as in foreign and no Chinese language) often only get hired for projects (hired as a real employee but things get kinda unfriendly after the success of the project). But if you speak fluent Chinese I guess doors should be wide open for you for a permanent job.

Payment is not very high though, some locals without a real degree in CSC start with 35000 NT per month, more experienced ones (and coming from another country makes you more valuable anyway) 48000 or whatever. Lower management or project leadership or likewise goes 60000, 65000 or maybe more.[/quote]

Hi Bob,

Not quite sure why you brought up your overweight underpaid secretary, but i prefer girl with fit body, not overweight…

Yeah, after years in the Taiwanese owned factory, my Taiwanese and Chinese are sharpen fairly good. However, most Taiwanese still say i speak with a fairly wierd accent. even though i disagree with them…

I think i can survive in Taiwan for around $30,000nt. thanks for the salary standard…

Shan

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]Know what you would bring to Taiwan that (1) people want/need desperately, (2) would pay for at a reasonable level, (3) why you and not some other *BC type?

Once you’ve got this story straight, it’ll help you focus on where to look for and what to look for in Taiwan.

The economy here for professional types such as yourself isn’t that good. Plus, things are waiting a bit for how things shake out with Pres-elect Ma for rest of 2008. Lots of hope, but let’s see the delivery.

I’d definitely suggest coming out here and taking a look and might as well send your resumes to some headhunters here for some feedback and chit chat next time you’re on the ROC. Also, don’t just look at Taiwan… it’s really Greater China Area.

Good luck![/quote]

Yeah, i am also waiting to see how Taiwan will turn out with the new elected president. I have put my resume in 104 web site and i got several responses. Some of the company asked me to reallocate to China, due most of the factories are now in China. I think i prefer to be in taiwan, at least that’s my interest now. Any other web site/place i can try my luck? thanks.

Shan

Out in the woods perhaps, but not in one of the bigger cities where you are most likely to find employement in your field.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“veryh2o”]

It was fun staying in Jakarta til recently. I am kinda bored of here now. [/quote]

GO TO BATAM in Indonesia. It’s a free trade zone (easy to get a job with your qualifications) with lots of added plusses (local girls will be fighting over you day after day) . Furthermore, Singapore is only a short ferry ride away in case you want to elevate your taste in women from the Kampung to the Penthouse.[/quote]

yo apa kabar? Well, i am sure whatever Batam can offer me i can get in Jakarta. Girls in Singapore is just more expensive than the girls in Indonesia, and i failed to see what singaporean girls can offer that Indonesian girls couldn’t(except singaporean girls dress way sexier). I am just kinda burn out in Jakarta, being in here for around 10 years. Just want to try out something different. I am thinking both Taiwan and Singapore, just that the expenses will be cheaper in Taiwan so i can withstand several months of unemployment…

4 weeks holiday with a sweatshop/garment outfit??

No way!

[quote=“veryh2o”]Yeah, after years in the Taiwanese owned factory, my Taiwanese and Chinese are sharpen fairly good. However, most Taiwanese still say i speak with a fairly wierd accent. even though I disagree with them…

Shan[/quote]

I can hear (read) your Indonesian accent in your prose.

May I ask what you do in/for this industry? Maybe you have some specific skills that may be useful that you haven’t considered. Tell us more about your experience.

If you’re making US$40k/year now for 8am-6pm and you don’t have any specific reason to choose Taiwan, why bother?

If the salary you quoted was correct you’re currently earning over $100k/month - well over double you would ever hope to make in an office/computing job here. You would be working longer hours too.

Half of Taiwan has some kind of computer science degree and jobs in this area are already slim pickings. The market just can’t support so many CS graduates when it really needs tradesmen, engineers and other hands-on workers.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]4 weeks holiday with a sweatshop/garment outfit??

No way![/quote]

Way dude. other taiwanese goes back to taipei every 3mo for 7 days. since i need to go back to USA once a year for 2 weeks so i go back to taipei twice a year for 7 days each. this applies to almost all of the Taiwanese stations outside of Taiwan. Ask around.

P.S. Sweatshops wanna be, not exactly sweatshops unlike the small sweatshops in some dark alley you saw in the movies. We have 5 big fairly modern factories located in Indonesia with each factories average around 1000+ sewing operator. We produce both high end like Abercrombie and low wal-mart stuffs. 100% export.

[quote=“llary”]If you’re making US$40k/year now for 8am-6pm and you don’t have any specific reason to choose Taiwan, why bother?

If the salary you quoted was correct you’re currently earning over $100k/month - well over double you would ever hope to make in an office/computing job here. You would be working longer hours too.

Half of Taiwan has some kind of computer science degree and jobs in this area are already slim pickings. The market just can’t support so many CS graduates when it really needs tradesmen, engineers and other hands-on workers.[/quote]

I think it depends on which area of programming you’re in. Embedded systems programmers are indeed plentiful, cheap, and good quality. But …

I worked as a full-time office-cubicle programmer here for 18 months or so, with zero post-degree experience, and made over $70k/mo from the start. I’ve been offered several other jobs paying 70-100, without making any particular effort to look for them.

And I’m not particularly talented or experienced. There seems to be an almost complete lack of competent application / server / network programmers in Taiwan … I’ve been offering $1,000/hr for contract work for years and I haven’t found one single person worth keeping. Most of my clients here in Taiwan have had the same problem, which is why I get lots of work.

Business Week reported a few years ago on the shortage of design and industrial engineers in Taiwan. Do you have production management experience? If so, you might be able to find work in Hsin Chu, though my guess is that with your background in textiles, you’ll more likely find work in China, as most of the textile factories have moved there or to Vietnam.

You may have to start all over again here, get experience in a low level job, work your way up. Your current age puts you right at the threshold–TW companies don’t like to hire junior managers who are over 35. Just something to consider if you decide to make your jump soon.

Why not get online and check out the hiring pages at various manufacturing companies here? You can also check out job listings and post your resume on 104.com.tw and 1111.com.tw. That will give you a good idea of what’s out there for you.

There are great women in any country. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“veryh2o”]Yeah, after years in the Taiwanese owned factory, my Taiwanese and Chinese are sharpen fairly good. However, most Taiwanese still say i speak with a fairly wierd accent. even though I disagree with them…

Shan[/quote]

I can hear (read) your Indonesian accent in your prose.

May I ask what you do in/for this industry? Maybe you have some specific skills that may be useful that you haven’t considered. Tell us more about your experience.[/quote]

Really??? Is it that obvious??? :slight_smile:

Anyways, i am currently working in a garment factory. as a production manager, which i plan and control the production floor. our production plant has around 1000 workers and we have 18 production lines. our monthly export capacity is around 25,000dz of garment. export to mostly USA. Being doing this for around 6 years. the first 4 years i was setting up networking for the factories.

There is no factories/plants in taiwan anymore, so i am not sure if my experience in factory is relevent. I am just curious about what kind of job is out there in taipei, and so i can decide if moving back to taipei is a good idea or not.

Shan

[quote=“llary”]If you’re making US$40k/year now for 8am-6pm and you don’t have any specific reason to choose Taiwan, why bother?

Half of Taiwan has some kind of computer science degree and jobs in this area are already slim pickings. The market just can’t support so many CS graduates when it really needs tradesmen, engineers and other hands-on workers.[/quote]

Just to see what my options are if i do move back to taipei. Who knows? $40k/year is not much… Most of my friend kind of making fun of my long hour low paying job. 8am - 6pm is when everything runs smoothly. If there’s a problem then you will have to be there til the problem is solved or a solution is formulated. sometimes i had to stay at the factory til 4-5am in the morning monitoring export. Its a labor intensive job…

[quote=“Tomas”]Business Week reported a few years ago on the shortage of design and industrial engineers in Taiwan. Do you have production management experience? If so, you might be able to find work in Hsinchu (Xinzhu), though my guess is that with your background in textiles, you’ll more likely find work in China, as most of the textile factories have moved there or to Vietnam.

You may have to start all over again here, get experience in a low level job, work your way up. Your current age puts you right at the threshold–TW companies don’t like to hire junior managers who are over 35. Just something to consider if you decide to make your jump soon.

Why not get online and check out the hiring pages at various manufacturing companies here? You can also check out job listings and post your resume on 104.com.tw and 1111.com.tw. That will give you a good idea of what’s out there for you.

There are great women in any country. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.[/quote]

Hi Tomas,

I did post my resume in 104, got several responses. Most of them wanted me to reallocate to China. will give the 1111 a try to see my luck. thanks.

Shan