Are Michael Jackson jokes offensive to you?

Do you find Michael Jackson molestation jokes:

• a) funny (if tasteless), or
  • b) in poor taste and therefore not funny, offensive, or otherwise unwelcome?

0 voters

Do you find Michael Jackson molestation jokes:

a) funny (if tasteless), or
b) in poor taste (and thus not funny), offensive, or otherwise unwelcome?

Well, I think you know my opinion.

B

Clearly, no one thinks a child being a victim of sexual exploitation is funny. So why is it that in Michael Jackson’s case (whether the allegations are true or not), there seems to be no end of jokes?

George Bernard Shaw once said that llife doesn’t cease to be funny any more when people die than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Is this what’s going on?

Is laughter a coping mechanism for something otherwise hard to accept?
In some cases perhaps, but there are rarely jokes about a particular child molestation case. So why MJ?

I would suggest it is because Jacko is so whacko, he just begs to be made fun of. Serious, flippant, and morally outraged comments all welcome, as are an endless string of MJ jokes if that’s your thing. :smiley:

I find jokes that aren’t funny to be offensive. If they’re funny they don’t offend me.

Hey, that’s a cheap out! :slight_smile:

Fair enough…you a lawyer??

Thats why we may post IMHO. :slight_smile:

I chose “a,” provisionally. I haven’t heard a lot of the jokes, so perhaps I haven’t heard the really bad ones. I think comedy is frequently a misunderstood genre, however.

I love comedy…but some things…especially child sexual abuse…no…never funny…just sick…no redeeming value in this kind of humor.

but again…thats just me IMVHO

Funny AND offensive. Humor is often based on suprising people with the use of a word or phrase in a way that turns out to be a twist on the usual or expected. A lot of MJ humor is like that so is funny almost by definition. Most of it is also cruel and distasteful so it is offensive as well.

I remember walking home from the bar late one night and a bit of a scuffle broke out between these two guys and when one of them went down a bunch of people joined in and started kicking and punching this complete stranger as he struggled to get up and the fuck out of there. He didn’t have much luck and when the ambulance got there they had a bit of a time finding the guy’s ear which had somehow been sliced off his head.

I think MJ is as guilty as sin and I hope they sue him blind and use the money for child protection services. But I also think he is a seriously ill person who should have recieved help a long time ago. A lot of the humor directed against him is just people taking sadistic pleasure over laughing at a freak. And for some reason people especially like to hurtle this sort of abuse at someone who was once idolized. I think it makes them feel powerful or something.

I find jokes about the stupid things people do funny. I have a weird sense of humor, so who knows if thats the “right” thing to do.

The only one I can remember is the one about what time is bedtime at MJs? When the big hand is on the little hand.

yeah, sick.

OK, here are a couple of “really bad” ones; I’ve never heard any worse ones, so if these don’t offend you, probly nothing will: (stop reading, jds :wink: )

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Little Boy Blue.
Little Boy Blue who?
Michael Jackson.

Q: What’s the difference between Michael Jackson and Neil Armstrong?
A: One was the first man to walk on the moon, and the other f***s little boys.

Q: What has 18 balls and 3 pubic hairs?
A: A Michael Jackson slumber party.

Heard on Conan O’Brien, February 12, 2003:
On hearing that Roman Polanski would be banned from coming into the country for an Oscar presentation (he received an Academy Award nomination for directing “The Pianist”) because he had relations with a 13 year-old girl, Michael Jackson replied “with a girl – that is so disgusting!”

Michael Jackson was on a ship with 100 boy scouts when it hit an iceberg and started to sink. The captain announced “We’re sinking! Everyone abandon ship!”
Michael asked, “What about the children?” The captain replied, “F*ck the children!”
Michael looked around eagerly and asked “Do we have time?”

: What’s the difference between Michael Jackson and greyhound racing?
A: The greyhounds wait for the hares to come out.

SAT Analogies from Conan O’Brien, April 11, 2003:
“Journalist in Iraq” is to “embedded in US troops” as
“Michael Jackson” is to “embedded in Boy Scout troops”.

Heard on Jay Leno, October 31, 2003:
You know why Michael Jackson loves Halloween? Free delivery right to his door.

After turning himself in yesterday, Michael Jackson was placed in handcuffs. I don’t think he helped his case when he asked “These are neat, do they come in smaller sizes?”

SAT Analogies from Conan O’Brien, September 25, 2003:
“Marsupials” is to “youngsters squirming in pouch” as
“Michael Jackson” is to “youngsters squirming on couch”.

Early today Michael met with his priest – not for spiritual advice, they went on a double date.

12 Year Old Boy Sues Michael Jackson For Not Molesting Him
November 24, 2003:
The family of a 12 year old Southern California boy have launched a $28 million law suit against the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Parents for the child in question contend there was a real and presumed threat that when they allowed their child to sleep in Michael Jackson’s bed, he would be molested.
Martin Goldenstein, the lawyer representing the family claims Jackson’s lack of sexual interest in the boy has caused them undue financial hardship.

Jackson’s lawyer is looking for a fair jury… He wants Jackson tried by a Catholic Archdiocese.

Michael Jackson sat down with his lawyer.
The lawyer says, “I have good news and bad news.”
Michael asks for the bad news.
The lawyer says “they have a real strong case for molestation and you are going to do serious time.”
Michael asks for the good news.
The lawyer says “I think you can serve it in a juvenile detention facility.”

SAT Analogies from Conan O’Brien, December 10, 2003:
“Popular toy” is to “Tickle-me Elmo” as
“Unpopular toy” is to “Fondle-me Jacko”

Jermaine Jackson, who has been competing with Gloria Allred for the coveted “Media Whore” title, offered his insightful commentary on Fox News this morning.
“I’m kinda on the fence with this one. I mean, I love Janet more than the world, but she shamed the family yesterday. Now, instead of the Jackson name being synonymous with family values and man-boy love sleepovers, it will be linked forever with Janet’s bare breast. We can’t have that.”

Heard on Jay Leno, September 17, 2004:
Michael Jackson was in court today, facing the mother of the boy he’s accused of molesting.
I don’t think he helped his case any when he said, “Which one was your kid?”

Heard on Jay Leno, January 6, 2005:
It does not look good for Michael Jackson. The prosecution evidence in the Michael Jackson case starting to leak out. Did you hear about this today? When police searched Michael’s bedroom, this is true, they confiscated a pair of “Hanes underwear, size small”. Here’s the creepy thing: he had them mounted on the wall.
According to the documents just unsealed, this is absolutely true, you’ll see this on the news tonight, Michael Jackson nicknamed one of his young boys “blowhole”. That’s what it said. I have two words - case closed.

When Michael actually did arrive, he was looking disheveled, wearing pajama bottoms and walking stiffly. Which is usually how most boys leave the Neverland Ranch.

What does Michael Jackson call a school bus? Meals on wheels.

(Personally, I find a quarter of these tasteless but funny, and three quarters of them tasteless groaners, but don’t find this kind of humor offensive. MJ’s general weirdness seems to be what makes them so funny.)

I can understand what makes some people think these types of jokes are just in poor taste. Personally, I don’t know how comfortable I would be telling some of these jokes. Child molestation is one of the worst crimes imaginable. Perhaps it is a taboo subject for some. I still believe comedy has a place, even when the subject is a sensitive one. Humour, as Peter Ustinove once said, is a funny way of being serious. Humour is a means of discussing some pretty harsh realities. I don’t think we are cheapening the serious nature of child molestation through the use of Jacko jokes. For one, the reason we laugh in the first place is because child abuse is so deviant and abhorrent. In this sense, these jokes are not merely sick. If we had no reaction at all to child abuse, that would be truly sick.

I think this is valid point. However, that a joke about a gut wrenching deviant behavior like child sexual abuse is NOT usually followed by a more mature discussion of the topic (that was joked into existence because it is too icky to mention in a “normal” conversation) seems to be the biggest problem.

What could possess someone to have sex with a child? How about an infant? Why do people really do this? Is it TV. Is it repression? Is it a social disease inherent in all societies?

If the jokes led to a serious discussion, then I wouldn’t have AS MUCH a problem with them. Yet they rarely do.

Usually, it’s joke 1, joke 2, joke 3…then “Yeah, they should put that sicko fuck in the bighouse for a bit o’ shower room reciprocity.” And then on to buxiban owner jokes…

This is a horrible horrible problem in the world, one that is not really understood, and one that most people refuse to examine due to its ICK factor.

This is not a rant. This is why I do not like these kinds of jokes. If these sick jokes are a way of starting a real discussion about child sexual abuse…well, where’s the discussion?

If they are just a way to bash a sicko fuck like MJ (who even if not guilty of being a child sexual predator, is sick in so many other ways)…then they are inexcusable.

Oh and Dragonbones, THANK YOU for the warning. I skipped them all :slight_smile:

Peace

To each their own, JD. I think bashing “sicko fuck” behaviour is an acceptable thing for humour to do. If not, what is an acceptable topic for humour? Not all communication is done through somber discussions. Humour has a place in most of life’s issues; this one is no different. They may not be your cup of tea (and I admit I’m not comfortable with some of the jokes either), but these jokes are not the product of “sick” people. The behaviour the jokes are satirizing is sick.

I don’t know about that.

micheal jackson. is it ok to still like his songs? If he is proven to be a pedophile? maybe only the tracks pre-1993. he wasnt a pedophile back then right.

and guys, remember. innocent until proven guilty.

The thing that worries me is if MJ is proven guilty is the likelihood he will be out faster than anyone can say “Mike Tyson…”.

The jokes aren’t funny just tasteless. They’re like the tsunami jokes. I’ve never heard of those nor would I want to after meeting someone who lost five of their friends. In both cases real people are involved and both are something you hope never happens to your family and/or friends.

[quote=“bigtwo”]Michael jackson. is it ok to still like his songs? If he is proven to be a pedophile? maybe only the tracks pre-1993. he wasn’t a pedophile back then right.

and guys, remember. innocent until proven guilty.[/quote]

Yep, Cauley said nothing happened…

wnyt.com/x3072.xml?ag=x995&sb=x183

Here’s some fuel for the fire boys. Have fun:

[quote]Teen accused of sexually abusing kids

Victims include 2-year-old boy[/quote]

I mean LOOK at this kid. :laughing: He must be worthy of some non-sober humor that can help you express your emotional confusion over his horrible crimes, right?

OK, maybe something from the article will inspire you:

[quote]A teenager is accused of sexually abusing other children, including
a toddler

Sixteen-year-old Anthony Ross of Washington County is in jail while police try to determine if there are other victims.

Police say Ross told them that he sometimes feels the need to force himself on other people.

Ross just turned 16 years old March 28. He’s a freshman at Granville High School. He’s accused of having forcible sexual conduct with a 2-year-old boy on numerous occasions.

Police say Ross also forced sex on a boy who is now 14 and an 11-year-old girl. He’s also accused of forcibly touching two teenage girls during the past year, including one on a Granville school bus last week.

"We know of five [victims] right now and it’s been going on for a few years. There could be other victims out there. We are looking for any other victims or witnesses that could come forward for us,