Are posts being deleted?

Actually, Teetsuo, that’s also inaccurate. I still don’t know who’s been acting in the identified sections, posts, and threads, though I think we’ve been given an idea. All I want is for the issue to be considered and openly discussed, for the benefit of the forum.

[quote]FWIW I can see the reason for “snap decisions” - how often have people bitched and moaned that something wasn’t deleted/floundered quick enough/at all? [/quote] Care to post a link?

[Where was my post moved to?

[Feedback regarding Forumosa's Moderators 2005

[Where did my posts go?

[quote=“miltownkid”]
I’m not even certain why a flounder forum is necessary (maybe it is and I haven’t seen the light though). Once a thread gets “stale”, it’s basically auto-floundered after hitting the second page worth of posts, without needing any thought on the part of the mods or hurting anyone’s feelings (well, my feeling get hurt Sad ).

Some people say it’s hard to tell when I’m being serious and not being serious. I feel that my posts are assumed as being the latter more often than the former. I personally don’t like having my posts get floundered, and I have a feeling a lot of people feel the same way.

Note: This was posted after a mild drinking session. It appears to have more feeling in it than I’m usually willing to put online.[/quote]

Now has anyone ever posted something like this because they were offended that something was NOT removed? BTW, miltownkid runs his own board. www.miltownkids.com Call him melodramatic or hyper-sensitive if you like but I think his feelings are shared by many others. Many more links and quotes are available but I think this is enough to demonstrate the irrelevance of your comment.

Posts are sometimes offensive and the posters are called up on it. Other posters will seldom complain that posts should be removed but I have yet to see a thread started for this purpose alone. On the other hand, people complaining and starting threads because their posts were floundered or removed are abundant as mentionned in this thread alone.

Another thing, the complaint you are talking about are usually posted because the post they wish to see removed is still archived. What I read often (once the posts in question were actually removed) are thank yous to the moderators, not criticism.

Snap decisions are snap and snap isn’t thoughtful. Sometimes, a swift decision is good but these decisions do not mix well with “I’m busy, don’t have time and it doesn’t matter anyways” attitude. Besides as mentionned, brian’s responses show IMO that he’s either overwhelmed, careless or both. The fact that he acknowledges the "possibility"that he made mistakes and doesn’t act on it, is also regrettable.

As for your last comments to Jefferson, this place is appropriate and Jefferson is posting about Forumosa, in the proper forum and he’s doing so in a very constructive manner. Calling him a “pussyfoot” is not constructive Sir. He gives the details he wishes to give and you are free to do the same.

Adress the message, not the messenger. :loco:

bobepine

Anybody who gets upset at having a post floundered needs to take their hands off the wheel and step away from the computer.

Speak for yourself. I know I and many others find Flounder to frequently be an interesting and vibrant place.[/quote]

On Forumosa, it’s considered an honor to get floundered. Personally, I crack open a beer in celebration every time I make the grade ! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Did the “Causes of Terroism” thread (or whatever it was called) just get deleted? I had just written a big reply to it, but it was gone before I could post.

You mean this?

[url]Reasons Behind Terrorism?

Haha. Thanks. It must have fallen out of the New Posts really quickly while my work’s internet connection sucked. Thanks for the link, Huesos.

I kill. I move. I split. And I warn. (and I make mistakes…see E-Named Belgians which I tried to Flounder but sent to the temporary holding cell, and is now back.

The mood never suits me to do any of them; I’d prefer to post replies and read.

Jefferson, I hope you just PM the mods of OPEN and get your reasons.

Why not find out and start a thread “Jdsmith kills too many off topic posts.” That’s a great way to influence friends and meet people. :wink:

I’d like to know the numbers of threads BEGUN in OPEN. That’s how many threads the mods have to keep up with. I’d be splitting and moving to flouder too if I were in there. Too much work.

Chill Bill.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I be a deleting everythin’ I be seein’. I be the rogue of the internet sea. Arrrrrrrrrrrr.

Pirate time came early today.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I be a deleting everythin’ I be seein’. I be the rogue of the internet sea. Arrrrrrrrrrrr.

Pirate time came early today.[/quote]

mental note: delete everything or bastardize everything coming from Bassman in Living in Taiwan. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Anybody who gets upset at having a post floundered needs to take their hands off the wheel and step away from the computer.[/quote]There is a fine line and a clear distinction between being offended over having a post floundered and being upset with a moderator’s post/response to a complaint. There’s also a difference when being upset* because a poster is audacious enough to try and discredit Jefferson as a poster instead of actually quoting him and arguing what he’s saying.

I think Jefferson demonstrated a good spirited posting style in this thread while constructively talking about a sensitive subject. He posted ample compliments and some suggestions too. Hat’s off to you Sir! :notworthy:

It’s easy to tell a poster he’s upset over a floundered post but many times, it’s the responses that will upset someone. NOT taking note of that fact can come in handy as a counter-argument. Posts like the above quote discourages diversity when posted by a mod. It discourages others to voice their complaints. In other words, it inhibits feedback IMOHO. It’s like saying this: “Yeah buddy, youraoutacontrolyouworthlessmoron”

later skater!

*“unpset” is inadequate anyways…I like “inclined to write a reply”.

It works. Try stamping your feet and starting a thread that says you’re never going to post again… You’ll be back. Some quicker than others :blush: Theatrics… great therapy.

Post like a pirate, that works too.

Get to know some of the people here. These are real people not computers and avitars.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

Some of mine have been totally deleted, or had the pics removed. Some others which commented on that fact that my pics made them laugh have also gone… not floundered, just… deleted…[/quote]

Ummm, are you talking about these comments?
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35692

They are in the flounder forum. :wink:
Erhu[/quote]

I clicked on your link and got this…

The topic or post you requested does not exist [/quote]

What the hell?? The thread entitled “funny/disturbing off topic pic” was in flounder just last night when I made the post and now it’s vanished. I don’t think it was 2 weeks old yet. How did it just disappear?

Thanks, Bobepine. :sunglasses:

I guess quite a few of us are concerned about The Case of the Floundering Forums (including a lot of moderators!) :wink:

It must have been two weeks old - no mod or admin deleted it - I did an extensive search of the past two weeks (Did you know that ALL mod/admin actions are logged? - Big Brother indeed!) I believe that the post in question must have expired of natural causes…

It must have been two weeks old - no mod or admin deleted it - I did an extensive search of the past two weeks (Did you know that ALL mod/admin actions are logged? - Big Brother indeed!) I believe that the post in question must have expired of natural causes…[/quote]

oh shit

It must have been two weeks old - no mod or admin deleted it - I did an extensive search of the past two weeks (Did you know that ALL mod/admin actions are logged? - Big Brother indeed!) I believe that the post in question must have expired of natural causes…[/quote]

OK, I believe you Maoman. I just wish SatelliteTV had gotten a chance to see it before it died. At least he could have said goodbye. So, it was two weeks old? Wow, time goes by so quickly when your having fun!

I’ve read and considered all the replies on this thread, and still think that the Open Forum is the place for discussion and the Flounder Forum for chit chat. I also still think that having a post moved to the Flounder Forum is not a big deal. This doesn’t mean that I ‘don’t care’ about the site, and the way it is organised, or about the opinions of other users. Neither does it mean that I put little thought into what is floundered and what isn’t. I have considered it carefully, and always read feedback threads such as this one. Having thought about this, I don’t think it at all necessary to spend alot of time condiering each and every post. Snap decisions are good.

In brief, it’s not about censorship, but about keeping the site organised into forums to make it easier for everyone to use. Of course the fact that posts in the Flounder Forum expire after 2 weeks of inactivity mean that some people equate it with deleting the posts. I disagree. They are there for anyone to read for at least two weeks. If a thread then expires, it means noone was interested in it for two weeks. That is hardly equivalent to deleting it. Furthermore, if posts in the Flounder Forum are of a ligth chatty nature, then hopefully no important infoprmation or discussion will be lost. If there’s somethign particularly humorous you want to keep, you could always copy it.

I have thought that sometimes floundered threads could evolve into a very informative discussion, and I wouldn’t know about it, becuase I’m not reading it anymore. Well, coincidentally all moderator’s have now been given moderating rights to the Flounder Forum, so if this happens, please PM me, and I will be able to move a thread back to the Open Forum, if this is the best place for it to go.

Thanks for the feedback,
Brian

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

Some of mine have been totally deleted, or had the pics removed. Some others which commented on that fact that my pics made them laugh have also gone… not floundered, just… deleted…[/quote]

Ummm, are you talking about these comments?
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35692

They are in the flounder forum. :wink:
Erhu[/quote]

I clicked on your link and got this…

The topic or post you requested does not exist [/quote]

What the hell?? The thread entitled “funny/disturbing off topic pic” was in flounder just last night when I made the post and now it’s vanished. I don’t think it was 2 weeks old yet. How did it just disappear? [/quote]

That my dear, is the question we have for you… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If it’s funny ( albeit I agree some my find it disturbing ) why not just leave it in that thread? it was certainly relevant and not off topic imho…

Actually I would say that it was a very apt piccy

It twasnt natural… it was murdered, and they’ll be no murdering around here… :noway: :noway:

Can’t have been two weeks old, the pic was only removed no more than 3 or 4 days ago…

Maybe I should put it ( the pic ) back again… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: