Are Software Development market expectations a bit ridiculous?

I feel this way about bloated frameworks. It’s just consultingware designed to earn a buck.

3 Likes

I have to wonder if the ridiculous requirement is because there’s actually not a lot of jobs out there, and that most job posts are fake?

Nah, just when people are hiring, they want Gandalf levels of magic ability, combined with Sienna Miller levels of good looks and style, from a 20 year old on $15,000 USD a year.

1 Like

No, if they really wanted workers, they’ll get workers however they can. Script kiddies could get jobs in software development, where your only experience in coding is writing HTML or programming Arduinos.

They ask for Gandalf level programming ability in a 15,000 dollar a year job, because they don’t want to hire anyone, but they still gotta act like they are hiring in case some Gandalf level guy DOES come along.

I saw a hot pot place that I frequent, place has severe staff shortage, as in tables are all dirty, customers have left, and people are waiting half hour outside to go eat, because they don’t have enough people to go bus the tables. Orders were taking forever to be filled (it’s hot pot, you’re cooking the food yourself, all they gotta do is cut the meat and bring it to you!)

They got a big banner out front saying they are paying 180-250 an hour for PT workers, and like 38,000 for FT workers.

Seriously, this guy nailed it

He basically said that, there are not actually many jobs and that a lot of them are fake, which is why there’s the ridiculous experience requirement, 5 years of experience in a specific platform that came out last year, etc.

Taiwan may be different though, seems those service level jobs are experience shortages if they’re offering better pay than office workers.

In 2003, script kiddies could get jobs. These days it’s coding bootcamp grads.

Well, perhaps it’s because there were more jobs in 2003. I was looking around 2008 but you know that was a bad year for job seeking.

And I was little more than script kiddy.

Is this your shop? A lot of places fell for this micro things fad. Supposedly smart people.

AI is expected to take your jobs away. Apparently we always assumed wrong: They would out preform based on skill sets and speed. Turns out, they just flood the internet with bogus bullshit, winning it. Easier than expected.

The optimist in me wants to say this is the same for every boss trying to filter through thousands of applicants. Treat it as such, a filter. If you can navigate their bullshit with proficiency, logic and a maybe even some pizazz, you get in easy enough. Gotta play the game.

No, it’s one of Microsoft’s open source example projects.

That’s the same all over Taiwan now and an interesting topic itself but irrelevant to this one

Trying to maintain a sane QA environment with that architecture would be… hard.

1 Like

I’d rather be Amber Heard’s laundrette, would deal with less shit.

I’m sure Microsoft (or AWS for that matter) would have plenty of lock in tools to sell you to help with that.

1 Like