Are students at public schools as badly behaved as at buxibans?

I’ve always wondered about this. At buxibans, they get away with murder. They run around screaming and shouting and flinging shit at each other.
I’ve always assumed that that was behavior that they just brought over from their schools.
So it’s a question for people who teach at real schools: are they allowed to treat the classroom like a crack zoo, or are there stipulations, conditions and appropriate punishments?

Guy

This reminds me of a joke.

Q: Does @jimipresley wear boxers or briefs?

A: Depends

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t get it.

I think it really just depends on the school and the co-teachers/homeroom teachers there.

I’m at a public school and for the most part all of the students are well behaved. They all sit there, no fighting or screaming. When someone acts out my co-teacher usually steps in before I get the chance. If things get really bad the homeroom teacher steps in and pulls the trouble kids away to go yell at them.

Even when I worked at a buxiban my students weren’t too bad. I did have one student that did get out of his seat and try to be the class clown. Management never really helped with that though.

I believe you

Guy

1 Like

Cliffs Note version - No.

Real answer - it’s the cobination of the school enviroment, family situation, and homeroom teacher’s approach.

I’ve noticed that HRT (homeroom teachers) play a huge factor with kids’ behavior. When I see a competent teacher, kids are generally great. On the other hand, I can instantly tell that certain classroom would be a nightmare because the HRT is utter trash. I’ve even faced teachers that made me wonder how some of them are even allowed to be a HRT.

Great example of this is when one group of crazy and wild students (4th graders) moved up to 5th grade with a new HRT, they became my best class. Before that, they were my worst. (Now, I’ve consulted the school and academic director about this specific class, so they might’ve given special attention.)

Cram schools are much tougher becasue you don’t have lots of negotiating tools. They are paying to be there so it is much more complicated when it comes to discipline. This is why I really don’t enjoy teaching in the cram school.

3 Likes