Are Taiwanese Far Too Unrealistic Academically?

And yes I know people stress academics.

I have been wondering about this after I got some bad news from a friend that I have not seen in a few months. One of my best Taiwanese friends is a former flight attendant who went to a so-called 2nd rate university here and always got criticized by her parents because her job/career was not good enough. (She is bright and has great social skills…which is unusual).

Well she told me she had not contacted me recently because her cousin had committed suicide a couple months back and she was depressed etc. We talked for an hour. Her cousin attended First Girls High School in Taipei. She told me her cousin was #1 in junior high then dropped to the middle of the pack at FGHS (problems began). Still she went on to Rice University in Texas in the USA. (One of the top schools of course). She began to become more depressed because her GPA slipped down to 3.3. Hell, better than mine at San Francisco State!!! When she came back during summer break she was found dead at home in her bed 6 days later, she had mixed a ton of different drugs.

My friend says the girl who was only 20 was getting a lot of pressure from mom, dad, and Yale grad grandpa and even herself to do better. I discussed this with my adult class. I said to them look, this girl was #1 in junior high, went to the top school in Taipei, then went to the best school in Texas and one of our top 20 schools! Thats success to me. My students said Taiwanese don’t see it that way!!! I was shocked. I told them being the best every time was unrealistic. They agree, but said thats they way it is for many. I know all about the academic pressures here, but I wonder what her family thinks now. You get 95% on a test and are seen by some as a failure? This one really hit me.

Sad. I still like Taiwan, but the longer I live here certain things really depress me. One more year and I think I’m headed out. Really sad. More typhoon blues.

Are Taiwanese Far Too Unrealistic Academically?

HELL yes, and that’s a sad story.

There’s a lot of pressure on some kids to ‘study abroad’, when the young 'uns may be emotionally, linguistically and academically unable to cope. Saw it in Taiwan and have seen it at the other end, in the UK. It’s sad because it’s a wonderful opportunity if you’re ready for it, but an enormous source of pressure if not.

There is a point where enough should be enough. But here, it seems that people at every level compete at each level in life. Keeping up with the Joneses in terms of prestige, so to speak.

My boss calls her kids every day, and they must report how well they did on the tests. They must be #1 or else… big scolding. I understand that they have it better than her generation -I got the same :blah: from my parents (or a similar version: how hard they worked since they were kids to pay for their books, shoes, tuition to put themselves through school, how privileged we were to have them to provide for us, how we should value what we had and get good grades, etc.) -but I see my boss and other colleagues checking the class ranking website -they even have that!- like mad, and I think: are you happy for your kid? or are you happy to see other people’s kids in second place? At least, she got them out of the pack and they are not in the bushiban grinder.

Yes, her kid got to FGH, and I am worried for her. I told her I tutored several kids from ther, and it is not going to be good. Her kid is a happy, confident youngster. I hope she can stay that way. But the environment in those “first class schools” -if I could tell- is at least, scary.

Even with fun activities, you see people here that, well, push themselves so hard in their hobbies, whether it is dancing or playing the piano.

For a country with many economic opportunities, it is so contradictory that people are stuck in these fake social roles -no, I’m not having sex; yes, I’m working for an international company; yes, I weight 40 kilos and speak like Minnie Mouse- so stubborly. I don’t get it.

Buttercup

Seems this girl was suffering already in high school. She was actually doing OK at Rice, 3.3. If she had some family support probably wouldn’t matter if she went to school on the moon. I bet a lot more U.K. kids adapt to going abroad eh.

I dunno, kids kill themselves for all sorts of reasons. For teenagers, society looks for something to blame; not mental illness, or abuse. It was probably a combination of things. We don’t know.

I think the heavy emphasis on educations exists because many people think that:

(1) Education is the only path to success. Since ‘everyone’ attends college here, graduating from a good school is the distinguishing factor that defines a proper education.

(2) Education reproduces or in some cases creates familial status.

More than ever I believe that academic success is rooted in family life. I know a professor who decreases his academic output months before an entrance exam to tutor his child. Resultantly his child tests remarkably well. The professor said that if his child tested poorly, his wife would criticize him. Parents therefore do not put pressure only on their children but on themselves as well. This routinely reproduces itself in my experiences here. What gets me is when a parent does not help out but criticizes the child for not scoring well.

– Grasshopper Arcylgp

Phoning your kids up from the office to check on how they are… I wonder how often your boss gets to actually see her kids… unfortunately this seems the norm nowadays… you outsource everything… even your kids upbringing and education

Education here is relative… as long as your score is better than the next person… then your education is better… false logic espically in a place where the education system borders on broken…

Parents have the best intent for their kids… shame though that they have to spend their hard earned cash on buxibans and anchibans to compensate for the lousy education system here

[quote=“TNT”]

Phoning your kids up from the office to check on how they are… I wonder how often your boss gets to actually see her kids… unfortunately this seems the norm nowadays… you outsource everything… even your kids upbringing and education

Education here is relative… as long as your score is better than the next person… then your education is better… false logic espically in a place where the education system borders on broken…

Parents have the best intent for their kids… shame though that they have to spend their hard earned cash on buxibans and anchibans to compensate for the lousy education system here[/quote]

Good insight from a gravel truck driver!

I knew a guy in Australia who was from Taiwan. He was studying pharmacology, but then decided to switch to archaeology. His parents actually disowned him (after giving him a lot of crap, especially about his younger sister studying science). He had to study part time to support himself.

A year or so after this happened, I ran into him at a party and he told me he’d gone back to Taiwan to see his family. They’d had a big talk, and he’d realised (ie. been told) that he needed to be a “good son”. So, he was going to New Zealand to study medicine. He’d burnt his bridges academically in Australia. I asked him what he thought about that in terms of career and lack of social support in New Zealand, but he repeated the “good son” mantra. I could see his heart wasn’t in it though.

About a year after that, a mutual friend told me that this guy had committed suicide (though set it up so it looked as though it might have been accidental). His parents were in complete denial that it was suicide.

The thing about this guy was that he had everything going for him – he was bright, charming equally to men and women, handsome, athletic – except his evil parents just wouldn’t let him be happy.

I don’t believe that these parents really have the best intentions of their kids in mind. Not at all. For the hardcore parents, their children aren’t separate entities, human beings with minds and aspirations and feelings of their own. These kids are no different than their shiny new BMWs or other possessions that they stroke their own egos with by showing off to their equally vacuous friends. As the saying goes, money can’t buy class. They’re no different from some gold-toothed gangster ghetto trash. Trash is trash, now matter how you tart it up.

Well, considering that people here don’t seem to learn much, makes it all even worse. I’m not a teacher, but to me it seems that most people here just memorize what they need to remember before a test and then forget it. That’s not a good way of learning things and from my understanding “useless” classes like wood shop, sewing and cooking class is usually changed into extra hours of “important” subjects. No wonder the better off people here can’t cook and are in general useless. To me it also seem like a lot of people here lack the ability to think for themselves and even do normal day to day tasks and common sense doesn’t seem to be something you need here in most cases.

I feel sorry for the kids/teenagers here, they don’t seem to have any fun at all and it seems like a lot of them resent their parents because of the way they get treated. I resented my dad because he was never there for me and in a way I got treated in a similar way to people here as he gave me a spanking more times than I care to remember when I fucked up and sometimes for no good reason and it doesn’t make you love and care for your parents.

When people kill themselves over something like not being top of their class, then you know there’s a serious problem, me, I just didn’t give a shit but still managed to do all right for myself and what I work with is self taught, as I had a keen interest in what I’m doing. Unless you want to be a doctor, scientist or engineer, a degree is over rated imho, but then again, who am I to comment…

[quote=“TNT”]
Education here is relative… as long as your score is better than the next person… then your education is better… false logic espically in a place where the education system borders on broken…[/quote]
It’s not false logic, it’s different priorities. I keep seeing the word ‘education’ thrown around, but in my view education is not important to the Taiwanese at all. What is important to them is schooling. It’s all about grades, the certificates, the awards, the diplomas. The social status of having studied an esteemed subject at a prestigious school is the primary goal. What is actually taught or learned is irrelevant and doesn’t factor into their consideration at all.

So yes, if you score better than the next person, then your ‘education’ is better. And how can the school be broken if it has a good reputation and its handing out A’s? Sounds like a perfectly good school to me! :slight_smile:

Gosh, how I can relate to this thread! Although I don’t think this attitude is restricted to Taiwan but is a general Chinese cultural thing. I grew up overseas all my life but my mother (Taiwanese) NEVER let up on the pressure to be #1 in class, highest grades, best schools, best university - while also doing every extra-curricular activity under the sun (funny, sport & physical exercise didn’t seem as important) so I would have good “chee-zr” (the closest equivalent in English is I think the Austen term “accomplished”) - I just always knew, as an unspoken rule from the day I could understand things, that you HAD to study and be the top and it completely defines you - it’s ingrained in you. It’s almost like brain washing - and the drive to achieve comes as much from guilt and fear of not being #1, as from the pride in achieving (which SHOULD be the reason).

But I totally agree - it’s very sad - it does produce people who care more about rankings and numbers than actually learning anything. It’s not that they can’t think for themselves but they don’t try to as they don’t take any pride in independent thought. I also agree that in many cases, parents simply see kids as an extension and reflection of their own status - and their achievements as a way to “gain face” and get one up on their social competitors.

I know my mother was always comparing me and my siblings to her friends’ kids and getting satisfaction if we “beat” them at certain things. I think, sadly, she very much lived her life through us - like a lot of Chinese mothers, she gave up all attempts at a life for herself just to become a full-time ‘mother machine’ and I think all her frustrated energies had to be directed somewhere - so the full beam ended up on her children. We had to achieve what she couldn’t - plus make her look good while at it. Oh, I’m not saying that she didn’t love us or genuinely believe that academic achievement would make our futures better for us - but it’s all sort of tied up together.

I think the saddest thing is that it makes for a LOT of frustrated, unhappy, unfulfilled people who then turn those frustrations on THEIR children when they in turn have them. I have a lot of Chinese friends who are very unhappy doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc…it’s especially hard, I think, if you are a “creative” type as those leanings are REALLY frowned upon. Unless you’re lucky to hit the big time and make a lot of money, of course - then all is forgiven!! :smiley:

But you can never satisfy them really - for example, I did the “right” thing all through school - was always top of the class, did more subjects than everyone else, learnt piano, ballet, painting, sculpture, horse-riding, singing…then got into a top university…and then tried several “proper” jobs in order to do the right thing…was miserable and unmotivated and frustrated…then I hit the big 3-0 and decided it was time I focused on making ME happy, as opposed to my mother…so I went back to my first love, writing. Now I’m a freelance writer working from home and really happy with my life - even though my mother is absolutely horrified and constantly laments the waste of my Oxford degree and top education and how I could be a top CEO in a big company or a doctor or lawyer and earning big money…instead of doing this creative nonsense and earning half of what I could potentially earn…
I try really hard to talk to her and try to make her see that there are other ways of being “successful” in life and that happiness and personal fulfillment is more important - but I don’t think I’m getting through.

It’s a shame - if more of those kids could have a similar sense of revelation and just break through the guilt-trip and ‘Duty’ pressure hanging over their hands - there wouldn’t be so many such suicides. But then I know it was easier for me as I grew up in a Westernised society which encourages independence and celebrates the individual - it’s much harder to have the courage to break free if you’re steeped in a society which embraces the same values your parents are espousing.

H’sin-'Yi

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I resented my dad because he was never there for me and in a way I got treated in a similar way to people here as he gave me a spanking more times than I care to remember when I fucked up and sometimes for no good reason and it doesn’t make you love and care for your parents.

[/quote]

Was your old man a natural-born Swede? That doesn’t fit the mold of most Swede or Norweigan families I’ve encountered over there.

[quote=“bighoneydog”]Gosh, how I can relate to this thread! Although I don’t think this attitude is restricted to Taiwan but is a general Chinese cultural thing. I grew up overseas all my life but my mother (Taiwanese) NEVER let up on the pressure to be #1 in class, highest grades, best schools, best university - while also doing every extra-curricular activity under the sun (funny, sport & physical exercise didn’t seem as important) so I would have good “chee-zr” (the closest equivalent in English is I think the Austen term “accomplished”) - I just always knew, as an unspoken rule from the day I could understand things, that you HAD to study and be the top and it completely defines you - it’s ingrained in you. It’s almost like brain washing - and the drive to achieve comes as much from guilt and fear of not being #1, as from the pride in achieving (which SHOULD be the reason).

But I totally agree - it’s very sad - it does produce people who care more about rankings and numbers than actually learning anything. It’s not that they can’t think for themselves but they don’t try to as they don’t take any pride in independent thought. I also agree that in many cases, parents simply see kids as an extension and reflection of their own status - and their achievements as a way to “gain face” and get one up on their social competitors.

I know my mother was always comparing me and my siblings to her friends’ kids and getting satisfaction if we “beat” them at certain things. I think, sadly, she very much lived her life through us - like a lot of Chinese mothers, she gave up all attempts at a life for herself just to become a full-time ‘mother machine’ and I think all her frustrated energies had to be directed somewhere - so the full beam ended up on her children. We had to achieve what she couldn’t - plus make her look good while at it. Oh, I’m not saying that she didn’t love us or genuinely believe that academic achievement would make our futures better for us - but it’s all sort of tied up together.

I think the saddest thing is that it makes for a LOT of frustrated, unhappy, unfulfilled people who then turn those frustrations on THEIR children when they in turn have them. I have a lot of Chinese friends who are very unhappy doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc…it’s especially hard, I think, if you are a “creative” type as those leanings are REALLY frowned upon. Unless you’re lucky to hit the big time and make a lot of money, of course - then all is forgiven!! :smiley:

But you can never satisfy them really - for example, I did the “right” thing all through school - was always top of the class, did more subjects than everyone else, learnt piano, ballet, painting, sculpture, horse-riding, singing…then got into a top university…and then tried several “proper” jobs in order to do the right thing…was miserable and unmotivated and frustrated…then I hit the big 3-0 and decided it was time I focused on making ME happy, as opposed to my mother…so I went back to my first love, writing. Now I’m a freelance writer working from home and really happy with my life - even though my mother is absolutely horrified and constantly laments the waste of my Oxford degree and top education and how I could be a top CEO in a big company or a doctor or lawyer and earning big money…instead of doing this creative nonsense and earning half of what I could potentially earn…
I try really hard to talk to her and try to make her see that there are other ways of being “successful” in life and that happiness and personal fulfillment is more important - but I don’t think I’m getting through.

It’s a shame - if more of those kids could have a similar sense of revelation and just break through the guilt-trip and ‘Duty’ pressure hanging over their hands - there wouldn’t be so many such suicides. But then I know it was easier for me as I grew up in a Westernised society which encourages independence and celebrates the individual - it’s much harder to have the courage to break free if you’re steeped in a society which embraces the same values your parents are espousing.

H’sin-'Yi[/quote]

This is a great post, BigHoney. Very insightful. I’m glad you finally decided to do what makes YOU happy. However, I have to say that I think there are a lot of people who become unhappy doctors and such because they simply cannot function independantly, the way you do now.

They need the pressure from the family because, indeed they don’t value independant thought and don’t do a lot of thinking for themselves. Their obligations to the family are what frame and give meaning to their entire lives. I did not understand this before, and I still don’t like to accept it sometimes, but what you have done with your life is fairly extrordinary.

And you do NOT look thirty!

[quote=“housecat”]
And you do NOT look thirty![/quote]

Actually, I’m 34 :blush: :slight_smile: But us Asians always look younger than our age, don’t we? (wasn’t there a thread here about that?) I think it’s a combination of being “small” and not sun-worshipping, plus genetics, of course. I have to say, I still get regularly asked for ID if buying a bottle of wine in the supermarket (for cooking purposes!! :laughing: ) - which I know I should be flattered by but I actually find a bit annoying now…when we were holidaying in the States a couple of years ago, I actually got kicked out of the “Smoking Area” in a hotel lounge because they thought I didn’t look old enough (and I didn’t have my passport on me) - and I wasn’t even smoking!! :unamused:

Sorry - that was completely off-topic. Anyway, thanks for your kind words, housecat! :slight_smile:

bighoneydog: Great posts! Well done for doing what you want.

My girlfriend does get a minor amount of crap from her father about studying design, but he’s generally fairly cool about it, as he is about most things. He’s nowhere near as intense as many Taiwanese fathers I’ve heard about. I actually couldn’t see my girlfriend doing anything other than being arty. That’s who she is, and she’s fairly independent for a Taiwanese girl, so I think she’d still do it regardless. (eg. One day, her father asked her if she were still a virgin, and she said, “it’s my body and I’ll do what I like with it” and left it at that. My jaw nearly hit the floor when she told me that.)

[quote=“bighoneydog”]
Actually, I’m 34 :blush: :slight_smile: But us Asians always look younger than our age, don’t we?[/quote]
Nonsense, why must it be that Asians look younger than their ages? The truth is that Europeans look old for their ages. :smiling_imp:

I would like to see this nominated as a classic post.

I briefly taught English in a “sink” private school in Taipei. Most of the kids had failed the test to get into a decent public senior high school, so the parents sent them to this private school. The boss of the buxiban who sent me there informed me that they were sending as many foreign teachers as possible to the school, so they would have good face when the parents saw said foreign teachers.
I taught two classes, the “good” class and the “bad” class. The “good” class was kind of okay, but the “bad” class was a joke. On my first day the students were reading magazines, doing their make-up, playing cards, talking on the phone -all in front of the teacher. I was supposed to teach this rabble English “conversation” - 50 of them! I tried to impose some discipline, and make them pay attention to the teacher, but realised this was hopeless when I discovered they were allowed to do this by the school. No one in the class was actually expected to study.
I became friends with the history teacher who would come in for a chat during class. We talked about the class and how they weren’t learning anything, he said the school knew, even the parents knew. But the parents still continued to send the kids to school because the kids must have the all important “xueli” (學歷). Actually learning anything was unimportant.
I gave up really trying to teach the kids, but I would come into class and chat to them (in Chinese as none of them could speak more than a few words of English). I liked the students-they had many different interests which they should have been pursuing, many of them would have been well-suited to vocational jobs-which would have offered them good earning potential. But instead the parents insisted on sending their clearly ill-suited children through the standard high school curriculum. A complete waste of time.