Are Taiwanese kids spoiled?

Is it just me are Taiwanese kids really spoiled and spoon fed everything? I find the kids in Taiwanese lack imagination, creativity, and social skills. They are drones to society, and cannot critically think. These kids eventually turn into adults who are also like the Borg (with the possible exception of the blue collar types who voice their opinons robustly around Taiwan beer). It seems like Children here are taught to obey rather than be normal free loving kids. Am I right or wrong about this?

1 Like

I’d say that’s accurate. I recently did a small poll between my Jr. High School students and they all (but one) agreed that the best way of killing time was sleeping. And that the second best was go to school (even on vacation). I think it’s sad.

How is that anything like being spoiled? I think killing off your creativity with rote memorization and meaningless tests is the exact opposite of spoiling.

You’ve apparently never been to the East End.

Drones or psychopathic little fuckups … I know which I’d prefer. I know, it’s not an either-or, but humans aren’t very good at finding that happy medium.

I consider that my brother and me were given a good childhood, and we were quite happy at home, even in the worst recession periods when my parents were almost broke. In those times, my parents always made sure we had enough second-hand books to read, and a lot of them were about DIY projects that we could do with stuff we had commonly at home. We made our own toys and we had a lot of fun.

[quote=“finley”]
Drones or psychopathic little fuckups … I know which I’d prefer. I know, it’s not an either-or, but humans aren’t very good at finding that happy medium.[/quote]

All too true. But some people manage to rise above their upbringings.

A lot of young people in Taiwan are non-dronish. I think that’s a reason to be hopeful for the future. As for the rest, at least they’re harmless.

The Taipei yuppies vaguely depress me, as do yuppies everywhere. But the weeping suicidal young drunks move me to compassion – which is not easy to do, jaded as I am. Filial piety can’t go extinct quickly enough for me.

I wouldn’t say spoiled. some kids work at a young age but yes kids in taiwan arent creative because they’re taught in school at home and by society to be obedient because that’s the tradition of china. taiwan keeps china traditions strong!!

1 Like