Are tattoos gaining acceptance in Taiwan

2010 Tattoo Convention in Taiwan

So are they gaining acceptance? And is Taiwan, because the government as reported in the video does not recognize tattooing as a business, a safe place to have it done?

Depends on the business, but

I’ve seen a lot more tattooed people here than when I first came here. Back then, it was only gangsters and foreigners who had them. I remember in 1995 or around then, sitting on a bus here in Taipei, next to an Asian girl who had tattoos on her body. I was surprised at that time. I complimented her on her tattoos, and she thanked me… in an American accent!

Now I see them quite frequently. But I remember seeing even more about 3 or 4 years ago. But at that time, many of the tattoos were temporary body ink, I believe. Wears off after a month.

As for safety and sterility, you have to look at the tattoo parlors on a case by case basis. There are certainly reputable parlors here that emphasize safety and sterility.

I see quite a few Ah Huangs and Ah Chungs with tattoos. Some are very intricate designs - over the shoulders and such.
Also see more and more females with tatts. Some older ones.

I think I will start taking some pics of them, with permission when possible. Make a neat study - Old and New Taiwan tattoo.

Thanks for the impetus Nama.

(I have yet to see a Tater-Tot Tattoo!)

I see quite a lot of small, discreet tattoos at yoga. Probably a self selecting group of open minded, broadly ‘liberal’, young women.

Perhaps I should be concentrating on the assanas more.

Fixed that for ya. :laughing:
“Guess WHAT! I went to Thailand on a group tour and got this little tattoo on my ankle, just like every single other girl on the bus! How’s THAT for originality? Hao koo-ah!”
:unamused:
Man! I remember back when I was huntin’ the poontang back in the 70s that you could guarantee a shag off a girl with a tattoo – you KNEW they were incapable of considering the consequences of their actions. If there’s a bigger turnoff in the world than a 40+ woman with a faded, stretched tat reading “Dwaynne” on her sagging boobie, I’ve yet to see it. Tats on old wrinkled skin are GROSS, people. GROSS!

And I fixed the other part.

They could be really original and get a tattoo at the base of their spine. That would really make them stand out as an independent, free-thinking woman. Or, for the guys, some kind of ‘celtic’ image wrapped around their bicep. Or some Mandarin or Hindi on their shoulder. Or even a couplet of really bad poetry on the back of their neck relating to some really important event in their life that they really don’t like to talk about.

Was it Ozzie Osbourne who said if you want to be different don’t get a tattoo? At least Ollie Reed had his put on his dick. That’s original, although he had to be pissed out of his mind when he had it done.

Tramp stamps! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When it comes to tattoos, each to her or his own. However, be aware that in twenty years time every young person is going to be pointing and sniggering behind your back when you’re at the swimming pool. Tattoos will be the fashion disaster that you can’t get rid of.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I think they’ll be doing that no matter what you have had done on your back including cosmetic surgery.

I think they’ll be doing that no matter what you have had done on your back including cosmetic surgery.[/quote]

Yeah, true. Except the people with the tattoos will stand out.

Tramp stamps! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

Nice phrase lol I kinds of agree with yah too ha ha

TATTOOS ARE FUCKED OUT DOUCHE TAGS…JUST SAYIN

Finally, someone has the balls to say what we all feel but are scared to come out with.

And I fixed the other part.[/quote]

I think that was the point. Though there are some nice titties as well.

Finally, someone has the balls to say what we all feel but are scared to come out with.[/quote]
Tattoos are all things to all people.

There’s not much connection between a sailors arm tattoos, love - hate on either hand, David Beckham’s back, I luv Lucy, random “profound” Chinese characters or any other design. They come big and small, beautiful and ugly, conspicuous and modest, pretentious or simple etc. I’m not into them myself, but the right one in the right place on a girl can be attractive.

Admittedly, I should have said “a self selecting group of young women who think they are radically cool”.

I used to wear my hair in a three-ridge multicoloured foot-high mohawk back in the late 70s when I was “radically cool.” :laughing: Thank christ there are no photos that I’m aware of! And at least it wasn’t permanent.

I can admire the skill here, but I have to wonder what happens when the skin ages.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]I can admire the skill here, but I have to wonder what happens when the skin ages.

[/quote]
The ink fades and the tattoo sags. I’ve been around enough ancient bikers and merchant navy blokes to have seen this many times in the flesh, so to speak.
Plenty of skill, though, in that one at least.

Well sandman, you might look a little better if you wore your hair in a three-ridge multicoloured foot-high mohawk.