Are teachers teachers?

But most foreign English teachers here are not actual certified teachers and should not use that term. Would you trust engineers that were not certified engineers? Doctors that were not having a medical license? Lawyers that never went to Law School? And yet everyone feels using the term teacher is ok and that everyone can do it! People here comment that I am anti-Teacher. I am not – I just think the regulation is sloppy and that everybody thinks they can be a teacher. What term should be used? Cultural Ambassador?:sweat_smile::sweat_smile: English Teaching Aide (TA)? Educational Services Clerk? Better and more accurate terms.

People accuse me of bashing Engrishy teachers for 20 years, but in actuality, I have stood up for the ones that truly are! I know that the average person has trouble seeing that. :smile:

But most (all, imho) “schools” that employ these teachers are not “schools” but businesses that sell time with a white person. So that and a degree for legal reasons are the only requirement. Tell the businesses and their clients to stop calling their product “Teacher Jim” or “Jane Lao Shr”, and call them what they are, Au Paire Annie or Book Hawker Bill.

2 Likes

I don`t disagree Toe. But therein lies the problem. They need to be nationalised or at least heavily regulated. On this issue, I am more Commie than you! :wink::wink:

And therein lies some huge irony. Left leaning arts graduates relying on a very unstructured, free market, Wild East regulatory structure for their economic well being. Were Taiwan regulated in a Western way (that left leaning liberals in the West like), they would be out of a job.

1 Like

This is an undeniable truth. I came to TW as a certified and experienced teacher. I’ve seen those with degrees in English, social sciences, hard sciences, humanities, etc. Being a good teacher,. for those folk, came down to passion, preparation, flexibility, and (most importantly) openness to advice and guidance.

At the same time, I’ve seen “certified” and “licensed” teachers hired through the MOE that were rubbish as EFL teachers and had no concepts of EFL. Those still have jobs and still lack sense due to the government’s ridiculous policies.

1 Like

There are good and bad teachers, engineers, doctors, etc., but I would not want to have a fake physician with passion, preparation, flexibility and opennesss. He/she may have read medical books and have a great bedside manner, but I would still stay 1000 feet away. My point being that certification should be a must (or they are not simply teachers and it is fraud to market them that way).

1 Like

For the MOE’s ridiculous programs, I agree. However, bear in mind that we are often not getting the “best of the best” since the salaries here for qualified teachers are more than double the salaries for local teachers, who have passed many more tests and have gone through many more loopholes.

At the same time, considering the exchange rate, the qualified teachers in Taiwan make MUCH LESS than full time teachers in their home countries.

For cram schools, what do you really expect from them? A white face is enough, native speakers get prioritt. Understand it’s a business. That’s it.

It is a circus that needs the strong-arm intervention of a competent government. Sadly, that is not Taiwan. Don`t the kids or adult students deserve better? I sure think they do! Considering the amount of money most Chinese spend on education, that they get a shitty product should be irksome to those who believe in STRONG consumer protection.

Wholly shit — this rightist is sounding like Nader. Hahahahahha. Fuck.

i prefer the term educator

T. Timothy Budong

2 Likes

Taiwanese can’t afford qualified teachers , that’s a fact .
The businesses get their money’s worth out of western graduates , it’s not such an easy job and the money isn’t good either . You work for your pay.
Most English teachers do a fairly decent job.

Calling it a circus is wrong . There are minimum requirements for teachers to get a permit. They are enforced these days.

3 Likes

I’m not sure whats wrong with that picture , if the guy was a native English speaker with a degree and can dress and act professionally that’s worth something. People don’t pay much here

It’s not easy being a teacher of adults or children, anybody who sneers at it should try it it’s often bloody hard work !

3 Likes

I agree with you 100%

2 Likes

Local teachers , who can get a permanent contract, are on easy street.
They get massive respect, lots of times off if elementary school teachers ,chance for training and advancement and guaranteed pension . It’s a very sought after job in Taiwan.

Now the TEMP teachers have it tough.

1 Like

I totally agree our kids deserve better. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve seen TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL conduct by a foreign head teacher. I’ve pressured him, but the management (money makers) said he was very amiable. In other cases, I’ve dealt with unprofessional teachers and tried to train them (one teacher confessed he was attracted to prepubescent boys and girls; promptly deported). So, business will do as businesses do. My picture is still up somewhere to attract potential students.

I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. These cram schools hire anyone.

Correction they don’t hire anybody. They need to pass minimum requirements .

It doesn’t mean they are great teachers but they do have to provide grad certs and FBI checks and be from a country which has English as a native language .

Yes, a degree of any kind from certain countries. That is not the same as a B Ed. It is like saying that a degree from Julliard in music will allow you to become a dentist.

1 Like

Does everybody have money to send their kids to Julliard?

Nope.

The market dictates the situation .
The average Taiwanese earns about 1000 euro a month.

Qualified teachers flock en masse to the middle East for the $$$, stay in their home countries or emigrate to western countries from developing countries (and many leave the profession too).

1 Like

And that is fine when it comes to fridges and autos, not with children or education.

That’s reality .

I`ve been a regulator. I can change reality.

So because they are poor and too gormless to collectively bargain or fight for their rights (and a better regulatory environment), they should settle for a second class product? That is insulting, especially when it involves their kids. The only thing that will allow them upward social mobility, is a PROPER education, not dancing giraffes and backpackers singing about castles.

1 Like