Are teachers teachers?

Do you have certification for that?

2 Likes

It is not a profession but a political philosophy. And politics is one profession where you do not need certifications. They will accept anyone. Sort of like Taiwan. Which is why when you combine Taiwan and politics you get Legislative Food Fights!!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3954847.stm

That is a fine phrase to describe a populist and a supporter of the Vichy puppet state.

He later joined the Free French in Algiers (after 1942). I guess you don`t like Mitterand either.

Hitchens used the term to describe Thatcher and her humble shopkeeping beginnings (he was very elitist here). In other words, pundits (both alive and dead) use it often.

Does not usually signify the WW2 beliefs of the person, but the economic context.

maybe Iā€™m not using teacher in the professional term. Iā€™m not very sure, though.

Teacher with a licence, school teacher, Buxiban teacher, music teacher, Chinese teacher, etc are clear enough for me.

Wasnā€™t the word created before the teacher certification? Isnā€™t it a generic word?

I am cool with that ā€” I realize some people use it generically to apply to anyone who provides guidance of any kind or out of respect. Although it has the unintended impact of watering down the value of that certification. If something is used too much, it loses its uniqueness, does it not?

You bring Engineers into it, which I am, and we use the right tool for the job. Doesnā€™t need to be the approved method by Engineers, whatever that is, Iā€™ve been in trade shows where equipment needed fixing and used a lighter and solder to do the trick, pretty sure thats not SOP.

Anyone who speaks English fluently has the potential to teach, of course someone with training should have a greater potential for teaching, but not always.

But what is the use on getting hung up on the semantics of what justifies the use of the word teacher? It does feel like snobbishness, an unwillingness to acknowledge there are indeed very good teachers of English that never got properly certified to your satisfaction.

As an Engineer, whose opinion you asked, I could go back to just about every math or science teacher that ever taught me up to the point of University and say none of them were qualified to call themselves a teacher either. Their fluency was poor, ability to teach limited by their own lack of knowledge, much in the same way a native speaker here might lack knowledge and formal training , they do however possess fluency.

2 Likes

Not my belief. Some of the best learning facilitators I have ever met have been people with no degree or certification for that matter. I am generally one who prefers practical life over paper. But when it comes to your body or your kids (medicine and education), I get a little more picky.

People may think holding such preferences for paper is not really matching with my character (generally laugh at people that value such certifications) but not in education or health.

Doesnā€™t this type of thread appear every 2 years or so?
Not even going to bother reading it.

2 Likes

Sounds about right to me

Did the students call her Jane? I know what you mean, though.

Apples and oranges.
A teacher CAN be self taught and is not doing surgery.

Think of it this wayā€¦

A friend recommends a mechanic to work on your car. This mechanic has been in the profession for decades, knows what he is doing, has a great reputation but is not ā€œcertifiedā€. A shop opens up down the street with a mechanic who just got his certification but has zero experience. Who will you trust your car with?

Just because you are self taught, doesnt make you any less of a teacher.

I don`t disagree on most life lessons or practical trades, including auto mechanics, which are a trade, not a profession. Still in many countries, even becoming a mechanic requires strict guidelines be adhered to, including a 4 year apprenticeship and to pass exams. In other words, you do require certification to become a mechanic.

But there is a belief, held by lots of people on this forum, that anyone can teach in a structured setting. One person referenced making photocopies, etc. as if to allude that a monkey could basically do it. All, I am saying is that a teacher in the classroom should not be self trained. Most regulatory bodies in the developed world think the same way.

There has to be some training and standards that are met. For people that do not have such certifications, but have the natural talent to impart wisdom and enjoying classroom settings, they should get it (would likely open more doors for them). Someone who is self taught may be a great mentor on certain topics, but to call themselves a professional teacher is wrong. They are not.

For regular school teachers, I want them to be licensed, and they are so required by government. For buxiban teachers, if they do not falsify their credentials, that is enough. Iā€™d choose a teacher who can teach well.

I agree with everything you just said except the using the term buxiban teachers. They should be called buxiban educational consultants or aids. I realise such services will always be offered and it is impossible to have everyone certified in Taiwan (would cost too much). I just don`t think such buxibans should use the term teacher.

Hi Kids!

Hi Educational Consultant Jim!

4 Likes

What about EC Jim?

Sounds too much like ā€œEasy Jimā€.

Class will stage a coup within days.

You can like or dislike whatever you want, but on this issue you will need to change the definition of teacher.

Teachers have been around way before certification was ever invented. I think you are going a bit too far with this. Kind of silly really.

You can categorize the word teacher by adding to it. Certified teacher. Non certified teacher. Etc. This watering down nonsense you keep talking about is silly. Sounds like someone with sour grapes about a noncertified teacher getting a better deal than whatever you have.

3 Likes

Teaching in America is a career It takes years to develop the kind of skills necessary to be considered an effective teacher. Taiwan canā€™t expect the same quality. Teachers come and go with the seasons so everything has to be put in place so that it becomes a turn-key classroom. That is, to me, the ultimate solution and it does the job well enough. Anyone that teaches is a teacher. Teaching is really hard, especially starting out. Kudos to anyone that has the heart it takes to work with kids in education.

2 Likes