Are teachers teachers?

Incorrect. In most countries, the profession privately is not regulated but facilities are. For example, in Canada, anyone can babysit privately. Hell, you can even hire a foreign nanny for your home (who do not have certifications) through temporary worker programs (that give them citizenship after certain periods–beats the hell out of Taiwan`s disrespect to foreign workers from Asia). However, to operate child care facilities and public facilities, you need certification. There are also certified categories such as Early Childhood Education professionals (again not called teachers) that are often high in demand in certain daycares, etc. Become an Early Childhood Educator (ECE) - Province of British Columbia

In Taiwan, individual babysitters are regulated as well, and it should be in other countries too, because it is an important profession to handle life of a baby. Who doesn’t have a correct credential should not be called babysitter in the professional term.

1 Like

I don`t disagree with you on that – makes sense. It would not change the names I prefer in buxibans such as Aid or Assistant (I have never pushed babysitter LOL)

Interesting though, as you can see in the links provided, none of the these professions are called teachers. Educator/assistant are used, not teacher. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/early-learning/teach/training-and-professional-development/become-an-early-childhood-educator/renew-maintain-ece-certification

Yeah that does sound kind of scary. Reminds me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMdWhoFFck

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow, this thread is on its second day and has 125 posts. :roll:

I’ll just skip 122 of them and assume no-one asked the obvious question: where in the West is after-school tutoring illegal without a government-issued teacher’s license?

I guess it is in Canada, isn’t it?

I found most of dictionaries are watering down the value of the teacher certification.

“tutor: a person charged with the instruction and guidance of another: such as.
a : a private teacher.
b : a teacher in a British university who gives individual instruction to undergraduates.”

BTW, I asked a question in my English learning thread. Please feel free to teach me English. You will be my English teacher, regardless of your nationality with/without a teacher certificate.

Source?

I guessed from what @ChewDawg posted.

Ah, I see. Your move, Chewy. :tumble:

Incidentally, it was just in the news, again, that school boards in BC and Ontario are desperately short of teachers and admitting to hiring some who are not (officially) qualified.

After school tutors are not teachers. They are tutors. I have no problem with that. On a one to one basis, that is fine. Fits into my descriptions – educator, assistant, tutor, etc. Just not teacher.

Source? I would love to see what the Teacher Unions and professional associations are saying about that!!! They would be 100 percent opposed to it.

The title of this thread is brilliant.

It was written by the mods after being spilt from the Canadian murderer thread.

The whole thread is. I love this idea that I could go home, get certified, miss hundreds of hours of time in classrooms in the process, but then be allowed to call myself a teacher.

1 Like

I have no degree and didn’t even graduate high school. Can I call myself a teacher in Taiwan?

EDIT- I don’t have a teaching job here, but I’m thinking about picking up a few hours a week as one.

1 Like

If you teach you are a teacher.

5 Likes

The regulatory associations and unions would disagree

1 Like

Nobody cares.

TIT