Are teachers teachers?

Regulations are not more relaxed. I think I have been pretty clear in stating that the regulatory framework is strong (e.g., teachers need to be certified, daycare needs to be early childhood education certified, etc.). I said that because the consumer is smarter and the regulation strong, there is no demand for buxibans as a form of daycare or babysitting. Therefore, the debate over the level of regulation needed becomes secondary. If no one is buying, there is no need for a strong regulatory framework.

I didn’t say show me a worse person.

Anyway, the reports I linked are just the latest developments. It’s been going on for a while, most of it probably unreported. (I personally know of one in Quebec too.)

There’s less demand for supplementary education in Canada (and the West in general) than in Taiwan (and Asia in general) because most parents find the (regulated) state education system sufficient.

Criminal record checks and ECE certification may be required for daycare workers in some jurisdictions. That would be similar to kindergartens (and anqinbans?) in Taiwan, but we’re talking about buxibans, which are for school-age children and adults, outside of the public/private school system.

If someone rents an office somewhere in Canada and calls it a classroom, where is the law that says the teacher must have a criminal record check, even for teaching adults? Where is the law that says the business must apply to the government for permission to add a new class to its curriculum? Where is the law that says which people need to be present at the job interview? And so on. Most of the rules in Taiwan are for the business owners/managers, not the teachers, but my point remains: it’s a more regulated environment in Taiwan. The “Wild East” perception is caused by other factors.

If no one is buying, there is no need for a strong regulatory framework.

There’s something to that, but you’ve drifted away from your original claim.

Cram school teachers need to be certified in Canada? Well, they’re stricter than the UK. I used to teach English when I was at uni.

No, they don’t, unless Chewy can show us evidence.

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

There’s less demand for supplementary education in Canada (and the West in general) than in Taiwan (and Asia in general) because most parents find the (regulated) state education system sufficient. I agree 100 percent.

Criminal background: The regulatory framework in some jurisdictions in NA provides pretty clear explanations on who need it and who do not: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/crime-prevention/criminal-record-check/who-must-be-checked

My original claim at the beginning of this thread is a preference for a narrower use of the term teacher (to be used by those who truly are teachers). I think in Taiwan it is overused, especially by buxibans where certification is not required as it would be too expensive in a for-profit enterprise. In other jurisdictions, as you mention, most parents are fine with the regulated system, and a result there are not demand for buxiban type of enterprises. If there is little demand, I do not think bureaucrats will waste time in developing regulation for professions that just are not there. That is common sense.

They don`t because there is no big buxiban industry there – people are fine with the regulated systems. as you mention.

Do you think politicians need certification? Certain occupations need certification (e.g., teaching, engineering, medicine etc.). Others do not – politics is a practical art. I don`t think there is a suitable certification. People prefer diversity in that professional, especially in these rainbow times.

You don’t find it troubling that you must go through a rigorous process in order to teach kids, but not to set national policy (or declare war)?

This is such nonsense.

My Chinese teacher is my teacher. What else am I going to call her?

3 Likes

The problem with tying to regulate it (no such thing), would mean the establishment of almost a class based education (while not certification, I would argue training school is the nearest we have to it) similar to a PPE in England or attending one of the grand admin l`ecoles in France. In North America, there is a love of diversity and that means a melting pot. Not necessarily easy in defining certification for politicos. They do not want a professional class of politicians in the Americas.

:point_up_2:
That could pretty much be the title of this entire thread.

4 Likes

Your tutor? Your aid? Your language coach?

No. Teacher.

Exactly. Buxiban teachers and foreigners, apparently, are exempt.

I was looking at post #3 more than #1. I think I’ve sufficiently debunked it now.

As for your obsession with nomenclature, what’s next? Laoban is overused? It should only mean business owner, not manager or something?

But doesn`t that back up my point about nomenclature? I would love to see Hess or Kid Castle put out ads for nannies, babysitters and child minders. Just not teachers. But I get your point – because they need criminal background checks, Taiwan does have enhanced regs in some areas.

Ok, I guess I was referring more to Post 1 than 3. On 3 – I get your point – you have debunked it.

Although even if Taiwan has the regulation – enforcing it is still uber problematic (but that is a topic for another thread LOL).

If you’re going to interfere with the market like that, you could start by having them conform with the existing law for kindergartens.

When it comes to truth in advertising, you could insist on job ads using the full, legal company/business names. Iirc they already need to disclose the legal names when advertising to prospective customers.

Replacing the word teacher with dancing monkey would just be the icing on the cake. :monkey_face:

fify

Current definition of teacher is someone who teaches something, so “those who truely are teachers” doesn’t narrow the meaning of teacher as you intended.

In some places, to be hired by formal schools might mean to get teacher certificates. So, you might need to specify the places that are issuing the right certificates to correctly describe your definition of teacher.

3 hours before work

fucking lol’d

I have some questions for Certified Teachers.
Do your in-laws respect you any less because you are a teacher?
Do you have, generally, a better pay scale than Joe the plumber turned buxiban clown?
Do you wish the grovelling you receive, on the daily, to be more passionate?
Do you have chronic neck pain from tilting your head back enough to encompass all those before you as you look down your nose at them?

I’ve met all manner of folks who are in the education industry and foreign certified teachers are the most insufferable, for the most part. Back in Canada they wouldn’t enjoy the same level of status as they do here. I think this pumps up a lot of small egos and their egos don’t have room for people less theoretically enlightened than them to get the same volume of “oooh teacher! so good!”. Don’t get me wrong, I too enjoy the change in tone of responses when I tell people I don’t teach rugrats in a buxiban, “I teach Taiwanese teachers who drew the shortest straw at the beginning of the school year!”“ooooooh!”. Then I bow, graciously.