Are the politics forums better with or without moderators?

Are the politics forums better with moderators?

• Yes - moderated politics forums are better.
  • No - unmoderated politics forums are better.

0 voters

Well, it’s been a year and three months since we’ve had moderators for the politics forums. Are things better or worse?

WTF kind of pissant liberal querstion is that? :laughing:

Way better, you can concentrate on the subject at hand free of the occasional launches into what the mod done did.

HG

Most people have shown that they can follow the rules and be curteous without a grown up to watch over them. But a small minority can’t which ruins it for everyone. But that seems to be a good thing round here looking at who’s been given an award.

Maybe you should make them private forums, only a few people are welcome to give their opinions anyway.

[quote]Way better, you can concentrate on the subject at hand free of the occasional launches into what the mod done did. [/quote]That’s just a small minority who always believe their personal attacks were removed for political reasons. If they behaved like adults, like people do in other forums, the problem goes away.

I’m referring to the American, er, I mean “International” Politics here. The Taiwan Politics forum is a bit more welcoming and open.

Or maybe you’re just not smart enough.

My favorite color is blue.

I mean green.

much, much better without any sodding rotters.
Er, … I mean modding jotters.
Not sure if that means more work for admin, but the usual suspects seem to moderate themselves to some extent.

I’m happy not to be reading every frickin’ post, boss.

On the other hand, it’s too bad that so many posters avoid the forum like the plague. Going modless hasn’t remedied the aversion effect.

I would bring the mods back.

They are hard forums to mod, however back when they were modded, they were a bit easier to read.

Trolling and lack of civilty is an issue.

I voted for mods because I honestly cannot see what it is about the politic forums that should make them exempt from the rest of the community’s standards.

I think the behaviour sometimes exhibited in the politics forums really takes away from what the rest of the site is all about.

I don’t think we forum junkies who are already here ultimately worry too much about it either way, but the site should be run in such a way as to invite new members. As it stands, I don’t think the politics forums put our best foot forward or are especially inviting to prospective members.

[quote=“Toasty”]I voted for mods because I honestly cannot see what it is about the politic forums that should make them exempt from the rest of the community’s standards.

I think the behaviour sometimes exhibited in the politics forums really takes away from what the rest of the site is all about.

I don’t think we forum junkies who are already here ultimately worry too much about it either way, but the site should be run in such a way as to invite new members. As it stands, I don’t think the politics forums put our best foot forward or are especially inviting to prospective members.[/quote]

Now that, sir, is a top notch post. I agree wholeheartedly.

[quote=“Toasty”]I voted for mods because I honestly cannot see what it is about the politic forums that should make them exempt from the rest of the community’s standards.[/quote]Nothing. But mod-burn out was a factor. I don’t get cussed out as often hacking ankles, giving face-washes and generally being a nasty bastard playing hockey as much as I did modding IP.

[quote=“Toasty”]As it stands, I don’t think the politics forums put our best foot forward or are especially inviting to prospective members.[/quote]Nope. Hit the nail on the head there. Very sensible. I nominate you for the next round of mods.

All of Forumosa would be better if there were no moderators. It’s pretty impossible for anyone to get an accuarate perception of what life in taiwan is like by reading these overmoderated forums, on a normal unmoderated forums the crap posters are usually run off of the board by regular users who are, unlike Forumosa, allowed to speak their minds and insult stupid posters. i think forumosa rules strangle any chance of real conversation on this board. Forumosa really isn’t good for much besides sucking up to the various business owners who pay for the boards existence through their ad banners. And wanking on the muddy basin rambler, or sucking up to the mods. I’d love to log on here and hear just one poster just go off on whatever was eating them about Taiwan on day - but no one can do that, because the mods would just delete it.

Give it a try. One month without mods. I bet forumosa would actually become interesting to read.

Easy to test that hypothesis.
If you’re gone after a month, you may be right.
If you’re not, a few decent posters might be.
:ponder: Annoying as your posts are, it doesn’t seem worth the risk.

:laughing:

I know what you mean, I felt a slight leaning towards letting that one run!

HG

I’ve always believed in freedom of speech to the greatest extent possible/practical, especially in politics… and I like very light-handed moderating.

I don’t post in politics much now, but I do look at the threads, and I don’t think a lack of moderators has been a bad thing.

IP is much better off for having no moderators. At least posters in this delightfully ugly forum can have a go at each other rather than have moderators interfere, somewhat sanctimoniously - as if being an IP mod on F.com has bestowed some kind of omniscience on them - in others’ arguments. Might have been alright but mods were never neutral arbiters; they had opinions and oft posted them. Can’t wear both hats in that context.

Best leave it alone, unmoderated and free-flowing.

It also gives those of us who have a deep loathing of Nazis an opportunity from time to time to launch justified and vulgar attacks on muppets like fred shit and his fascist ilk.

It seems that most pro-mod people are rare or at best infrequent posters in IP. Boo-hoo. Plenty of other stuff on this website. And if that isn’t enough, there is grass and sky and stuff outside in the real world.

BroonAnti-mod

[quote=“Jaboney”]Easy to test that hypothesis.
If you’re gone after a month, you may be right.
If you’re not, a few decent posters might be.
:ponder: Annoying as your posts are, it doesn’t seem worth the risk.[/quote]

My posts wouldn’t be so annoying if I took this overmoderated day-care center of a forum seriously. How can anyone take this place seriously when people can’t even speak their minds without big daddy moderator watching over their shoulder? And i wish people would tell me what they really thought of my posts. Then, unlike the current state of forumosa, posters might actually be able to learn something from posting here, instead of just coming up with another uselessly banal “clever witticism” that is neither enlightening nor offensive but keeps the worthless banter going. forumosa is like a piece of white bread - safe, but no real substance. So PC, so vanilla, I would love to see a real internet forum in taiwan.

[quote=“Tigerman”]I’ve always believed in freedom of speech to the greatest extent possible/practical, especially in politics… and I like very light-handed moderating.

I don’t post in politics much now, but I do look at the threads, and I don’t think a lack of moderators has been a bad thing.[/quote]

I like TM rarely post in the politics threads anymore, but would agree that the lack of moderating has not generally been a bad thing, and unless mods can be found that moderate purely on forum rules without ever posting or using bias when dealing with posters, then they should either be left as they are, or removed completely.

Why don’t you just have two forums for politics, one moderated and one not.

Just a thought. Of course, if it was me I would put up a poll about how many people stay away from IP specifically because of a-hole fred and his inbred uncle cowboy. But that’ just me.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Why don’t you just have two forums for politics, one moderated and one not.

Just a thought. Of course, if it was me I would put up a poll about how many people stay away from IP specifically because of a-hole fred and his inbred uncle cowboy. But that’ just me.[/quote]

Doc? Doc McCoy?

When did you beam down?

I’m with Tigerman. Less moderating all around. That said, I don’t have major qualms about the moderating as I care so little. I sorta agree with Treb’s thots on a month of no mods too. Just from a purely scientific POV. Love to see what happens then.

If something really goes beyond the pale, Maoman can still bomb it.

maybe the poll should also have an “Apathetic” choice???

Jabs, you dirty? :smiling_imp:

Well, it all comes down to what the site owners want. Is it an ugly forum with people having a go at each other all the time, as some say they want, or a forum in which people can have a civilized discussion in an atmosphere of mutual respect? Because of the presence of certain ahem individuals, it’s obvious to me that the latter requires rules and moderating. :idunno: