Are there any Jewish services in southern Taiwan?

Look! I’m your typical reform, Buddhist, pork-eating not so religious Jew but I still believe in a hire power and loved culture and the services. What’s up! There are people of all religions here but not a couple people who would like to get together for an occasional Friday or Saturday Service. Are there not a couple people interested in getting together for a Seder.

That’s my rant. I think its something to do with Jews associating with Jews in general. My Christian friends and even Buddhist neighbors are quick to invite me in and share their religion and philosophy. I’m thinking of defecting…

1 Like

Sorry to nitpick, but I assume you mean “are there”?

Btw, I was surpised years ago to learn there’s a synagogue in Yangon, Myanmar, of all places.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/23/world/yangon-journal-burmese-jew-shoulders-burden-of-his-heritage.html?pagewanted=1

Oy Vey Boychik!..send a PM to the member known as “The Chief” for a possible lead on Shabbat services en el sud de Taiwano.

You don’t mention where you are in “South Taiwan” but I’ll see if I can scare up anything to relate to you.

p.s. - its “higher” power.

Tainan Cowboy is on the money. PM ‘the chief’ and you’ll find he can probably rustle up a minyan.

Or just ask him to post on the board so that anyone else who wants to know can look it up?

He’s not here, though, is he? Or is he le king?

You can contact Rabbi Einhorn and he would be able to let you know your options for Southern Taiwan services. :bow:

Dr. Ephraim F. Einhorn, Rabbi
Office Address: 16, Min Tsu East Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Phone: (02) 2591-3565 or (02) 2592-2840
Fax: (02) 2594-3892
Cell: 0911-568-212
Email: einhorn912@xuite.net

Dr. Einhorn is Orthodox.

It’s been a while. I’ve sent my PM messages but got no response. I’m about ready to defect. Or at least find some Christian/ Buddhist denomination here that doesn’t prosthelytize and gives every one credit.

Spiritually lonely in Pingtung…

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]It’s been a while. I’ve sent my PM messages but got no response. I’m about ready to defect. Or at least find some Christian/ Buddhist denomination here that doesn’t prosthelytize and gives every one credit.

Spiritually lonely in Pingtung…[/quote]
Do you own a bike and have you considered buying some white T-Shirts?

Bike? What kind of bike? A bicycle? Couldn’t be Morman, they wear the old IBM look with a bicycle, not a T-shirt.

Are you refering to a Harley or a Taiwan Biker gang version, a 50/100 CC Scooter? But white T-shirts… what sect are you refering to?

Well, I sent a message to the Rabbi. I guess it is true. There has to be many more Jewish people in Taiwan then they let on. I guess they are not interested in Religion.

The Christians and Buhdists are always quick to invite you into thier homes can always create some kind of spiritual activity. The Jewish Religion has that stuff also… Guess religion has fallen out of favor…

Another year goes by…

The Rabi Doesn’t know of any Jewish people living in southern Taiwan. If there are any Jews living in the Kaohsiung/Pingtung area, please PM me. I’d like a couple Friday Night services this year or at least a Passover Sedar.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Another year goes by…

The Rabi Doesn’t know of any Jewish people living in southern Taiwan. If there are any Jews living in the Kaohsiung/Pingdong area, please PM me. I’d like a couple Friday Night services this year or at least a Passover Sedar.[/quote]

If you could meet in Taipei, or at least halfway, I know a few people who would be able to accommodate you.

You probably already know about this, but the Chabad House is here:

TAIWAN
Taipei Jewish Community: 16 Min Tsu East Road, Second Floor, Taipei,
Taiwan, ROC
Tel: (886) 2 2591 3565
email: einhorn912@xuite.net

Apologies if this is a repeat.

EDIT: Okay, I don’t think that’s a Chabad House

It’s a regular synagogue. From my conversations with the Rabbi, it’s a pretty active congregation. Sometimes the Chinese locals out number the “Native Jews” . He told me he teaches anyone who wants to learn Some even convert. There is no pressure.

But’s that’s in Taipei! I’m in the education/child care business. People rely on me to be there to watch/teach their children as well as my own. I can’t leave of a day or two for any holiday, religious or not.
A weekend I could get possibly get away with. Let’s hope the next major holiday falls on the weekend of school break.

Wouldn’t it be easier just to find two, three or ten Jews in all of Kaohsiung or Pingtung. In New Jersey I could not help but trip over them.

Besides-- I’m married to a Bhudist/Taoist and I have mixed kids. I don’t think the Chabad would be happy with me. I was involved with them in an other life.They did nothing but to try to get me hitched. They wouldn’t take kindly to marrying outside the fold. The Taipei Rabbi’s approach is just what the doctor ordered. It’s just too far away.

Come on guys where are you hiding. Can’t find the Manashevitz but Family Mart has some Mogan David Concord Grape. Let’s make a Challah, sing some Hi Nay Ma TOv (the Jewish Kumbaya), some Adon Olam , light some candles, say the blessing over the wine and break bread and get toasted. I miss it!

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]It’s a regular synagogue. From my conversations with the Rabbi, it’s a pretty active congregation. Sometimes the Chinese locals out number the “Native Jews” . He told me he teaches anyone who wants to learn Some even convert. There is no pressure.

But’s that’s in Taipei! I’m in the education/child care business. People rely on me to be there to watch/teach their children as well as my own. I can’t leave of a day or two for any holiday, religious or not.
A weekend I could get possibly get away with. Let’s hope the next major holiday falls on the weekend of school break.

Wouldn’t it be easier just to find two, three or ten Jews in all of Kaohsiung or Pingdong. In New Jersey I could not help but trip over them.

Besides-- I’m married to a Bhudist/Taoist and I have mixed kids. I don’t think the Chabad would be happy with me. I was involved with them in an other life.They did nothing but to try to get me hitched. They wouldn’t take kindly to marrying outside the fold. The Taipei Rabbi’s approach is just what the doctor ordered. It’s just too far away.

Come on guys where are you hiding. Can’t find the Manashevitz but Family Mart has some Mogan David Concord Grape. Let’s make a Challah, sing some Hi Nay Ma TOv (the Jewish Kumbaya), some Adon Olam , light some candles, say the blessing over the wine and break bread and get toasted. I miss it![/quote]

Well, I can tell you that Chabad would love to help you out and would consider YOU Jewish and worth helping. Seriously.

But, Chabad doesn’t have a house here, so that’s out.

[quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]You probably already know about this, but the Chabad House is here:

TAIWAN
Taipei Jewish Community: 16 Min Tsu East Road, Second Floor, Taipei,
Taiwan, ROC
Tel: (886) 2 2591 3565
email: einhorn912@xuite.net

Apologies if this is a repeat.

EDIT: Okay, I don’t think that’s a Chabad House[/quote]

That address is the Rabbi’s office.

Well, here is my periodic check to see if there are any Jews in Southern Taiwan. I want to thank you guys for trying to lend support. I was feeling mighty glum. I contacted the rabbi again, and found I was omitted from the local event mailing list because I did not live in Taipei. I missed the Purim party which I was pretty peeved about. One even I could have attended… Anyway… Here is what I’ve been doing to add a bit of tradition…

1. I got Shalom Sesame “It’s Shabbat, Grover DVD. The kids really like it by the way… Every Friday… Dad, I want Shabbat Shallom”.
  2. I make Challah every other Friday Morning.
  3. Dad sent me some prayer books and a Kiddush cup.
  4. I get Mogen David Concord Grape wine from Family Mart and Grape Juice for the kids
  5. We do the minimum home service of the blessing of the candles, wine and Challah. And we play the DVD.
    If I want a little more, there’s a good home service at youtube.com/user/ravmoss#p/a/u/2/d57YrDezYeE if you don’t mind a guitar playing reform rabbi from NJ.

So this is my weekly thing to help me separate the special family time from the workaday world. It would still be good to share this with others. Any closet Jews, please PM from the Kaohsiung Pingtung Area.

How would you like a couple of people from Taipei to come visit?

OK, you have found another Jew in Southern Taiwan (Kaohsiung). However, I am not religious and not into the praying/synagogue thing. I cannot remember the last time I went to a shabbat dinner back home.
Oh well. At least you are not alone down here.