Are there any online e-learning sources...?

I have searched but can not find much on this topic.

Ive got a private student, nine yrs old whom loves to play computer games. Ive thought that it would be a great idea to teach him the English Language through some sort of multi-media or something like online learning games…im having no luck finding anything of the sort, everything seems geared towards either very young learners OR advanced learners.

Can anyone help me out with some links to sites or downloadable software for his age group. I know there are buxibans that use e-learning so there must be some software i can get my hands on or sites that i can visit.

Thanks,
Fu

starfall.com

Starfall.com is a good one but maybe alittle too young for my student. I would say starfall.com is best used wth 5/6/7 yr olds, my kid is a smart 9 yr old that goes to a good school. I cant tell you sooo much about his ability cos i had my first class with him yesterday…

Can you think of anyother site for this advanced 9 yr old??? I will still try out the starfall.com with him this Sunday, i liked the idea of the little stories they have… :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Fu

zoomschool.com

no games but lots of stuff to do

[quote=“jdsmith”]zoomschool.com

no games but lots of stuff to do[/quote]

Its good but maybe too difficult to move straight to this when we have only had one prior lesson. Might be good for his 12 yr old sister though as i helped her yesterday with The History of Science. .i.e Neil Armstrong. Its good for junior High.

Anything else???

Thanks,
fu

[quote=“fu xiao”]I have searched but can not find much on this topic.

I’ve got a private student, nine yrs old whom loves to play computer games. I’ve thought that it would be a great idea to teach him the English Language through some sort of multi-media or something like online learning games…im having no luck finding anything of the sort, everything seems geared towards either very young learners OR advanced learners.

Can anyone help me out with some links to sites or downloadable software for his age group. I know there are buxibans that use e-learning so there must be some software i can get my hands on or sites that i can visit.

Thanks,
Fu[/quote]

You can try our site, there is a spelling game there that may help him. It is free now, www.englishquest.com.tw the phonics lessons on there would be too easy for him, but the spelling program has over 4000 words which could be helpful.

Hi Fu!

Always good to see teachers looking for new ways to help their students learn better.

My family are members of an online e-learning club called Ladder 100 Digital Education. It is also used by many education centers around Taiwan, as well as other countries in Asia, esp. China and Singapore.

This is a whole-family kind of thing, as it has tons of stuff, for young kids, teenagers and adults, too.

Not only English, but online software for all school subjects that matches up with government standards from Grade 1 up thru high school.

There are also adult-level courses, including online GEPT, live online voice chat with American teachers, Japanese, French…

There’s also a lot of really good interactive software for both Chinese and foreigners to learn Mandarin, from the most basic level all the way up to getting ready for the college entrance exams.

Honestly, there is too much stuff to list, you really have to see for yourself.

However, you need to be a member to access the site. :astonished: Warning! This is an MLM business. If you are allergic to MLMs, pls. consult your doctor b4 proceeding to study. :smiling_imp:

Anyway, there’s my 2 cents and then some.

If your student’s family joined, we would be glad to give you a commission on the deal.

Any questions, pls. feel free to PM me.

Regards,

James

Im exploring the englishquest.com for the time being…just waiting for it to upload now. Thanks dvasa, looks like a good one…

Fu

Ive just found this thread:-

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=51742

Only thing is the sites are for young learners mostly, but that doesnt matter cos they are prety cool… :slight_smile: