Are there many English-only master's degrees in Taiwan for domestic students?

Or are these mainly for international students?

2 Likes

In my school, shockingly in all the english courses, it was only a few international students and rest were taiwanese which even couldnt speak english. So, yeah. Domestic students can take such classes too.

3 Likes

NCCU, NTU, Sun Yat Sen, all local/ international students together for English courses.

Remember that there are many dialects of English. They use English in a lot of programs here. They don’t specify that it’s an English dialect spoken only by the professor running the class…

That’s a little harsh. I know a few professors who did undergrad through PhD in English-speaking countries and generally have very good English. They pay me well to help make their research publications sound more “native”, but they can write PhD level English when they want to. But I’ve also met professors here who teach English (as the language of instruction) classes who would fail preschool in an English-only classroom. So you might be a native English speaker, but you might not necessarily be able to understand the English language instruction or your classmates

1 Like

Taiwanese students can enter English only post-grad programmes. The uni will require proof of English ability.

My experience of English only programmes is they are taught totally in English. If that’s what you are looking for then perhaps the private unis that have had to recruit lots of overseas students might be your first port of call.

2 Likes

In response to the question posted in the title of the thread: no, there are not “many” such programs in Taiwan. There are some, mainly it seems of the GMBA variety, at least based on what I’ve seen.

Guy

Thanks for you answer. Can you take a look at this link? It’s from NTU’s Computer Science Dept.

M.S. Program - NTU CSIE

I don’t think this is an English-taught MS program right?

I’m not referring to courses taught in English. I’m referring to degree programs that are taught entirely in English.

So far, English-only post-grad programs are mainly MBAs and PhD programs right?

It will vary by university. At my uni there’s a master’s programme in Applied Linguistics and an MBA which are 100 percent English taught.

Where do you see that this program at NTU is “taught entirely in English”? Put otherwise, why do you think this to be the case?

Guy

https://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/stu/super_pages.php?ID=education2

Are you referring to this link that I posted? I found an English version of the website.

Yes. What’s the basis for you to think this an “English-only” degree?

Guy

Why would it provide info. in English then?

Your reasoning is not solid here.

Good luck. I hope you can find what you need.

Guy

So your thought is that unless it explicitly states that the program is taught only in English, you would assume that Mandarin will be used as the main language of instruction?

You didn’t ask about “main” languages. You asked about “English only.” If this difference is not clear to you, I cannot help you. Sorry!

Guy

Yes. Mnadarin is the local language for the country of Taiwan. it would be silly to assume any course is taught in anyhing but mandarin unless specifically stated. Would you expect western schools, like harvard or oxford, that give an introduction on their website in mandarin (or spanish, japanese, german or etc) to be taught in said languages? Or in English? Same logic follows here, unless otherwise stated by them.

The cool thing with Taiwan is the country will foot the bill for you to not only get degrees here, on the house; but, living expenses paid and even free mandarin lessons pre degree too! Few countries will be so nice to foreign students as taiwan. It can be a pretty sweet deal for young people trying to figure out their direction in life.

1 Like

If so, what types of degrees are they? Professional degrees like MBA? Or in other fields like engineering, computer science?

Most universities have their programs listed on their website. There are numerous places offering english masters and phd programs here. The ones i know assume you already have your BA and seem to only offer said starter degrees in mandarin. NTU, no idea, but as they are the top university in this country, it would seem impossible they dont have a functioning website will all relevant information in both mandarin and english

:see_no_evil: