Are we inside looking out, or outside looking in?

Are we inside looking out, or outside looking in?

• Outside looking in
  • Inside looking out
  • meshed into the thin layer between

0 voters

Name________ Date______

Are we inside looking out,
or outside looking in?

Explain. ________________
_______________________.

(staple additional paper here)

Depends on the subject matter.

I’m above, looking down. In disdain.

Now look here… I’m just looking this thread over, and look out, because I might need to look you up and look into this.

Why do you care?

I must know the truth.

I must know the truth.[/quote]

Which truth? They are all relative.

I must know the truth.[/quote]

Which truth? They are all relative.[/quote]

But relative to what? I pick up a rock and call it a rock, then one can say it is not a rock, it is granite or gold or a structure of atoms. Then I define a rock as a hard substance from the ground. Since I can define it in a way that everyone can experience it, does it not exist?

get yourself a copy of bertrand russell, problems in philosophy or whatever its called and read that before coming back and telling us what you think then.

it’s always better if someone else tells you what to think.

(irony meter on)

If you want to read up on a great example of relativity, one of the Economist mag’s this month had an article on colour perception.

For example when does blue become green. So whether a particular hue is green or blue can be relative.

I feel belittled. :s

Can a blind man look into anything? Or does he just think about it?

and one thing I’ve always wanted to know, do people who are born blind dream?

A question long pondered…

supposedly, yes. but the interpretation of their dreams is trcky to sighted people… their dreamscape / mental universe must be peopled (?) by very different constructions than ours.

and explaining it must be as effective as us describing a sunset to them.

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Can a blind man look into anything? Or does he just think about it?[/quote]

i have been told by blind people: “see you tomorrow”. its just a turn of phrase, i know, and they probably have some weird internal conflicts the first time they say it, but what do i know?

seriously, gorr’s point is pretty deep, and has been bugging people for a long time.

but i mentioned bertrad russell’s book as he has made all the answers come together in one place and has said them succinctly and simply enough for most people to actually understand philosophy. for a contrast, you could try looking at wittgenstein but i don’t recommend it…

Oh come now. Why trouble ourselves with Bertrand Russell when we have Jordan Pruitt and The Moody Blues?

“you don’t know how it feels to be outside the crowd lalala timothy leary’s dead lalala”

Thick reference books and quotes from “established experts” gives most people a sense of safety, right?

The original question does not have a wrong answer. It might be one of those deep thought exercises. Or is this not allowed here? :wink:

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Can a blind man look into anything? Or does he just think about it?[/quote]

Can a blind person look into things with touch, smell, and sound?
Sight is just an extra (higher?) dimension of sense.

Are there even higher dimensions of sense we humans might not have developed? Are we blind then?