Are you also a social media/ phone addict?

Personally I think I need to get back to a couple of activities that will fill out some time and help me “to be a better me” (finally I got that confirmed to be some expression directly translated from Chinese!). I think I will also try to learn something related to my career and keep on making noise music at home :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

During college (recent grad), I got rid of all my social media. The U.S. in this regard is a cesspool in my view, and people would rather exchange social names/ discuss what they do on the media instead of having the conversation at that very moment. Parties were not fun because people would rather record the fun they were apparently having, events were mediocre because of camera flares, etc. I sincerely think my social life has gone downhill since the most recent platforms covered ground, and I feel less like I am a part of society as a result. You say the issue is glaring in TW? At least there should be better people overall.

Years without social media, on a personal level, is ethereal, and not lacking in positive effect. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

yes, any realistic appraisal the place is pretty extreme with how net dependent they are socially.

1 Like

Did u loose contact with a lot of people?
I mostly gathered everyone that I care to keep in touch on WhatsApp and the rest has just been deleted along with the social media l, they probably think i’m Dead

Yes… it was appalling.

People I have had good acquaintance with, as well as those who I would see almost every other day. Made me realize that they were either bad friends or it’s as big of a problem as it appeared.

I have yet to receive anecdotal evidence to sufficiently disqualify the latter.

1 Like

Eliminating social media is like a deep clean and filter of real friends. Most people on those sites are just gossipers and show-offs, no one is really interested in anyone’s life. And for the ones who are you can keep in touch with them directly without the need of Facebook, Instagram etc.

I’ve been using this app for the past six months. It seems so silly but for me at least it’s great: you set a timer on your phone (or tablet, or browser window on your computer), and a cute little tree starts to grow. If you use your phone before the timer is up, your tree dies. Alternatively, you slowly grow a forest for time that you’ve spent focusing.

Great for when I’m marking or am trying to otherwise get stuff done, but I’ve found it useful for other things, like when I’m watching a movie or show at home - it keeps me away from the “Who is that actor?! I’ll just spend 10 minutes on IMDB figuring it out!” trap.

2 Likes

One distinct example: I apparently missed out on gloating about post-graduate acceptances; there was an eerie air amongst those that I called friends (even strangers) and I was not until it occurred to me that it was the time people were hearing back from their dream schools, lol.

1 Like

It is funny when you think at about how much time you are spending with people that don’t even care but are called acquaintances. Mine now are very few and I keep in touch with them via instant message apps, no groups, as I prefer to talk to them individually otherwise it will become another Facebook in my whatsapp. But really, if I need to interact with someone who has nothing to do with my life why not just do it here on Forumosa? Hahaha at least we converse in someway.

2 Likes

I lost like 95% of my contacts but then I realized thats all they were, contacts that aren’t really in my life other than meeting them randomly at some point. And like others said I cared more about posting my fun experience than actually having fun. Glad it’s gone.

1 Like

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m Jones from USA Washington ,Bree can we be friends . I love your sense of humor. ,email me Johnsonjones049@gmail.com

1 Like

Just wondering if a thread about addiction is the right place for this. :thinking:

Reads like the new format for spamming (old formats being Nigerian scam or soldiers in Afghanistan bringing back a pile of loot).
Targeting one’s humorous aspect.

And is that the state of Washington or Washington, DC?

I have a theory that in Taiwan people use their phones to cover for social awkwardness and a lack of any sort of conversational material apart from have you eaten and aren’t babies cute. It’s appalling how buried people are in their phones here.

On the other hand social media is a godsend for me, a middle-aged foreigner living alone. Especially as an enthusiast photographer, posting photos is a positive way for me to interact with people. Plus it’s a great way to stay in contact with family and friends back in Kiwiland.

Regarding use of phones in restaurants me and my friends just put all our phones in the middle of the table. Anyone reaching for their phone gets the check.

1 Like

I don’t even use social media to interact with people that much anymore. It gives me a lot of news and articles to read, and knows what I like to read about.

But you interact with us on social media every day :ponder:

I also read a lot here also. I like to read information, all the better you can question and debate.

I’m not sure forums count as social media. They’ve been around before social media.

1 Like

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3: