Are you racist if you don't like hip-hop?

This ranks pretty far up there as one of the most asinine controversies I’ve ever heard of. A certain musician and music writer has been accused of being a racist because he said he doesn’t like most hip-hop and that an online list of his favourite songs for each year of the 20th century included only 11 black artists.

Crazy!

[quote]
I have never met [allegedly racist muscian and music writer] Merritt, and I have no idea whether or not he hates black people. But neither do Sasha Frere-Jones and Jessica Hopper. The evidence on which they base their claims and insinuations

Fuckin Noam Chomskyism meets the music world.
“Rap” sucks…and if you are a white person…and try to rap…you are stupid.
You look stupid, you sound stupid and you are demonstrating the intelligence of a snail-trail on a wet rock.
Rap is not music. It actually may be poetry; but it ain’t music.

And white guys…them dreds look really really stupid also.

Loath of rap music does not a racist make.

Pity me, then. I fucking cannot ABIDE Scottish country dance music played on the accordion, but I’m SCOTTISH! Does this mean I hate myself? I’m so confused!
I also hate Bavarian oompah bands, but for the honey in your avatar, I’d learn to play the tuba.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Yeah, if you don’t like hip-hop, you’re probably a racist…a fuckin boring racist, to boot…

Ach, the old self-loathing isolationist…shades of Chewycorns…bet you lurve the Max Bygraves though, don’tcha???

[quote=“sandman”]
I also hate Bavarian oompah bands, but for the honey in your avatar, I’d learn to play the tuba.
:heart: :heart: :heart:[/quote]
Off topic: her cleavage and neck are stunning, n’est-ce pas?

Edit: Sorry, the better comeback would have been: I wouldn’t mind if she learned to play my tuba.

Edit again: No, maybe this: Well, I’d certainly teach her how to play my tuba!

Eh?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
“Rap” sucks…and if you are a white person…and try to rap…you are stupid.
You look stupid, you sound stupid and you are demonstrating the intelligence of a snail-trail on a wet rock.
Rap is not music. It actually may be poetry; but it ain’t music.

And white guys…them dreds look really really stupid also.[/quote]

Eminem is one of the greatest rap/hip hop musicians to ever live IMHO. His lyrics and his music are amazing. I used to think he sucked based on what he looks like and his image.

That’s rediculous saying that someone is a racist 'casue they don’t like Hip Hip or Rap though.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote=“sandman”]
:heart: :heart: :heart:[/quote]
Off topic: her cleavage and neck are stunning, n’est-ce pas?

Edit: Sorry, the better comeback would have been: I wouldn’t mind if she learned to play my tuba.

Edit again: No, maybe this: Well, I’d certainly teach her how to play my tuba!

Eh?[/quote]

Nice. I have both worked at the Oktoberfest (1998) and played the tuba in my time. However, due to the low manoeverability which accompanies said instrument, might I suggest a more compact package, like a clarinet? Fits snugly inside your lederhosen, see?

Racism? Pah, I haven’t found a Chinese pop act yet that I would piss on if they were on fire. Dammit, I guess this exposes my fundamental loathing of Chinese people.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]This ranks pretty far up there as one of the most asinine controversies I’ve ever heard of. A certain musician and music writer has been accused of being a racist because he said he doesn’t like most hip-hop and that an online list of his favourite songs for each year of the 20th century included only 11 black artists.

[/quote]

good article. that’s the stupidest thing i ever heard.

guess i have to look up jazz butcher, hehe.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]
That’s rediculous saying that someone is a racist 'casue they don’t like Hip Hip or Rap though.[/quote]

Whew, as long as it isn’t ridiculous, I guess I’m OK…or, wait, is rediculous like, ridiculous the second time around???
I’m sooo confuuuused…

[quote=“porcelainprincess”] No. So why would it push anyone’s buttons if someone were to say he doesn’t like hip-hop or blues or soul or disco or funk, or any other sacred musical cows?[/quote]You’re a fish-belly white Cannuck so you con’t count. Don’t bring your Prarie Bovine Erotica into this otherwise weird thread.
And be careful with those rubber boots. And no slamming drawers on chicken heads!

I like eminem.

I also like Jim Carrey doing Vanilla Ice in “White white baby!”

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]
Eminem is one of the greatest rap/hip hop musicians to ever live IMHO. His lyrics and his music are amazing. I used to think he sucked based on what he looks like and his image.
.[/quote]

YOu HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? M&/M the greatest.??? :loco: Great at what he does, good but no way in hell is hed the greatest.

I think if you talked about rap music with a lot of degragotory(sp) terms and spewing hate, then you would be a racist. If you don’t like rap music so be it.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]
.[/quote]

YOu HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? M&/M the greatest.??? :loco: Great at what he does, good but no way in hell is hed the greatest.

I think if you talked about rap music with a lot of degragotory(sp) terms and spewing hate, then you would be a racist. If you don’t like rap music so be it.[/quote]

I think it’s fair to say that if you like Eminem, you’re a racist…
Naturally, if you like Vanilla Ice, you’re just plain stupid…

[quote]Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne[/quote]

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“when rap was fucking good and still had balls”]Elvis was a hero to most
Simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne[/quote][/quote]
Damn! Trust the chief to come up with the real deal. See? I DO like rap after all!
Chief, that gets you a picture. Just for you. Enjoy.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“when rap was fucking good and still had balls”]Elvis was a hero to most
Simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne[/quote][/quote]
Damn! Trust the chief to come up with the real deal. See? I do like rap after all!
Chief, that gets you a picture. Just for you. Enjoy.
[/quote]

Thanks brother…ach, you’ll be wanting to make sure tha’ squeezebox is slung up good and high and all…industrial safety-wise…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]
.[/quote]

[/quote]

I said ONE of the greatest.

I don’t listen to a lot of Hip Hop I must admit.

I also think that

GangStarr
N.W.A
Grandmaster Flash
Black Eyed Peas
Dr. Dre
Public Enemy
Run D.M.C.
The Streets
Beastie Boys
Wu Tang
Tupac
L.L. Cool J

I’m sure I forgot a lot of important ones. Don’t have a lot of time right now though.
I think Eminem deserves to be on the list of greats. But that’s just my opinion.

Sorry. I am off topic.

[/u]

Lo Bo To forgot:

Mobb Deep.

I hate MrsHill’s singing. Maybe I am gay!

Young MC, TuPac, the RZA, and early Jay-Z are also excellent. In fact, I nominate the RZA as a genuine genius.

Perhaps he’s not an overt racist, but I’ve got to fault his musical taste. Considering the leading role that African-Americans played in the development of 20th century American music, only having 11% of your favorite songs be by black artists seems awfully reactionary.

Your parents said the same thing about rock music. Yeah, there’s plenty of shitty rap music there, but there’s a lot of shitty everything out there. It’s called Sturgeon’s Law.