Are you satisfied with your life?

Exactly. You come into the world with nothing and leave with nothing. Even if you think you have something now (I tend to follow the school of thought that it’s all an “illusion”), that something clearly came from “nothing”.

I’m not even sure how to classify nothing, because it seems that even nothing is something (scientifically anyway), but either way I don’t think it/they (something or nothing) cost(s) anything. Almost all the Earth’s energy comes from the sun. Money, cars, great ideas, boats with crews of nubile young piratesses, and the monitor your looking at now are transformations of that energy (or at least I think it is).

Last time I checked the Sun does all of his work for charity and the Earth gives away her stuffs for free.

Even if I had stacks (and stacks and stacks and stacks) of money, I couldn’t buy the things I want the most (in the sense that I could just walk into a store and purchase them). What are those things? Good health, clear thinking and the ability to be content with what I have.

Life’s good.

I’m content, satisfied, happy, ecstatic, grateful, etc. The moment I wake up, before I put on my make up, I say a little prayer to thank goodness today I am a living person with all my limbs intact, all my senses, a clear brain, and the ability to change someone’s life for the better. I have the power to make someone smile, to stir their emotions just by saying something. I have free will and the freedom to make choices I want. There are no laws holding me down from doing what I want to do. The world is my candy store and I have many many years ahead of me to try every single candy available.

I can see beautiful greenery, I can smell garlic-laden goodies, I can say words so simple to me but can cheer someone up, I can hear music, I can feel the soft fur of an animal.

I could also spend my days wishing I were richer, more good looking, taller, bigger, smarter, nicer, younger, etc…but the good stuff sure outnumber the bad.

Oh yeah, but I do hate this weather.

and

[quote=“914”]I can see beautiful greenery, I can smell garlic-laden goodies, I can say words so simple to me but can cheer someone up, I can hear music, I can feel the soft fur of an animal.

I could also spend my days wishing I were richer, more good looking, taller, bigger, smarter, nicer, younger, etc…but the good stuff sure outnumber the bad.[/quote]

Perfect response. I am all down in the dumps and your post is picking me up, somewhat. I am gonna get off this chair and head out for a ride. Thanks 914.

Do you want to try this candy, little girl? :wink:

Haven’t we talked about this b4? You’ll never get rid of that :newbie: badge if you don’t accept the weather. Just talking about it is making me hotter. Damn your eyes. :raspberry: :wink:

I reclined on my balcony last night, sipping champagne in the company of a lovely lass, with my dog lying on top of me and the crickets/frogs/whatnots competing with the strains of Berlioz. I’d made some progress that day/week with a variety of things and could relax without stressing about other things I had set myself to do. Peace. Contentment. Nice and warm too!*

It’s easy to be happy if you have the time to notice/enjoy all that good stuff out there. But the greatest satisfaction comes from doing, or having done, something to make it even better. I was particularly content yesterday because I have made the effort to seek out an environment that suits me and was continuing that process. Compare and contrast wth my first year in Taiwan where nothing went right and I couldn’t just relax and enjoy all the things that were there to be enjoyed. I was too busy arguing about money or fighting to get free time. All the trees and stuff were still there, but I wasn’t able to enjoy them. That’s what I mean by ‘free’ stuff not being free, and that’s why I appreciate it and don’t take frogs for granted.

Despite being relatively pleased with what I have I can still see room for improvement. I could be less lazy, for instance. I could organise my living arrangements so that I didn’t have to deal with quite so much cleaning. The river would be that bit more enjoyable if there wasn’t an old scooter dumped in it. **

But whilst I can see ways in which my life can be improved that doesn’t stop me appreciating what I have. I guess it comes down to semantics. What does ‘satisfied’ really mean? How about ‘content’? And what is the relationship between happy, content, and satisfied?

Personally, I think it’s good to have a life that you can be happy with, and to always remind yourself to be thankful for it. But satisfaction means - in my book - the feeling that everything is perfect. And I think that’s unattainable. After all, despite all the good things in 914’s life, he’s still out there campaigning for change on issues that he finds important.

Perhaps some people think that the wider environment is not part of ‘your life’, but I disagree. I see myself as being a part of every problem and every solution. I can’t be satisfied with ‘my’ life if I’m not satisfied with some aspect of the world in general, because they’re connected and it’s up to me to make change, not just wait for someone else to do it. (I would be more satisfied if I had more energy and enthusiasm for doing the right thing all the time.)

And now, just for Miltownkid, an anecdote about satisfaction and money:

[i]I had the pleasure to have lunch with a candidate for the European Parliamentary elections some time ago who was representing the Natural Law Party. The Natural Law Party had been formed a short while before to contest EVERY election at every level throughout Europe, from local council up to national and supra-national government. It was the brainchild of The Maharishi Yogi, who presumably felt that something needed to be done about the state of the world and his solution was to enter politics with a single policy to deal with all the world’s problems: meditation and love. One of his advisors protested, saying “This is going to be tremendously expensive. Where is all the money going to come from?”

His reply: “From wherever the money is now.” [/i] :sunglasses:
(The ‘cool’ emoticon was me, btw. I don’t imagine that the Maharishi Yogi wears sunglasses, not Oakleys anyway.

I try to remind myself of that story regularly. To desire change is good. To be that change is better. Your ability to effect change is often determined by the way you perceive your financial situation. So I am rich enough to make the world a better place, and I don’t think it’s right for me to just say “I’m all right Jack and can’t spare the time/money to improve the wider situation. I’m satisfied with MY life and that’s all that matters.” Your life is my life, as is the life of every oppressed person worldwide. So is the life of every member of every species that has gone extinct this year because no-one cared enough to save them.

The world’s a mess. I’m not satisfied. But I’m not strong/committed/advanced enough to do what I should, just like most other people.

• I love the heat. Can’t wait for the summer to start properly.
    ** Actually, someone has just gone to the trouble of pulling it out. Other people do care, and are not as lazy as I. I’m really glad that someone else was dis-satisfied enough to do something.

http://www.blogspot.com, Loretta…http://www.blogspot.comPlease :wink: :smiley:

so… are you happy for your life? it 's more important, right?

Left. Or rather it is important to remain forever silly so as to avoid developing stridency issues which might predispose one to, well, stridency.

I’ve just spent an hour and a half striding in the country with my dogs and my woman. I find it’s good to balance the silliness with a bit of stridency.

In the country… gosh that sounds nice. I was up the mountain today but am back in the shitty, er city again now… :frowning:

Happy? yeah! Satisfied? No, there are so much more I want to do, I am far from being content, that would be sad. I have so many dreams I still have to meet and so many more challenges, that what makes life more enjoyable, the attainment of new goals and purposes, the overcomming of barriers that’s true happyness. :laughing:

Happy? No.

Satisfied? No.

I am going to do something about it…you betcha. :wink:

I am both happy and satisfied with my life. I liek it. There’s still stuff I want, or want to do, but I like it.

Brian

Please define satisfied…

Besides, doesn’t the world owe me a living?

“satisfied”. it is up to you. what do you want for your life? no one can tell you what you want to… you are on your own…

I stay sane by remembering a little mantra I learned from someone close to me: “Need nothing, desire everything, love what you get.”

I combine this philosophy with the knowledge that if you aren’t growing, you’re not really living. There are so many things to be learned, experienced, felt, and given.

Unfortunately, sometimes the only thing that grows is my waistline :frowning: .

What if Nietszche or Kafka had been on Prozac? What if Columbus and Marco Polo and Magellan had been so satisfied with their lives they didn’t need to travel halfway across the world to get away from home? What if Winston Churchill had learned how to put down the booze for more than two minutes and appreciate the joys of happy sober living? What if Van Gogh had realized that two ears are better than one?

Most of the great people you read about in history, they weren’t all that happy or satisfied. People that are content and satisfied never accomplish anything. They aren’t driven to achieve anything more than their own personal happiness. If you want to make your mark in this world and be remembered after you’re dead, you have to have something gnawing inside at you that will never let you be truly happy or satisfied. You have to have the HUNGER. Satisfied people don’t climb Mt. Everest or lead an expedition to the South Pole or search for the source of the Nile.

I’m very content and satisfied, and very driven. How exactly that works, I don’t know. I just do the things I like to do.

I think being able to be content/happy is already a pretty big accomplishemnt.

Makes no difference to me. In fact the world would be a little more magical if nobody had ever climbed Mt Everest instead of the way it is now with frozen turds all over the place. Next they’ll have a McDonalds at base camp.

i like the philosophy words… and it is great to swim in summer in taiwan. you might not grow your waistline…