Area recommendations. How nice is Shilin long-term?

I will be moving permanently to Taipei at the end of August and I am looking for some advice on where to live.

In a nutshell my situation is:

• 32 and single (2-bed apartment is fine)
  • Half decent package so can live most places with some sacrifices in nicer areas
  • Need quick access to Hsinchu highway as i will be spending a lot of time there
  • Prefer a balance of nightlife/amenities and access to countryside/mountains (very keen mountain biker). Access to a bike-friendly MRT stop would be a good thing.

Nicest place I have seen so far was in Shilin, a stones throw from the MRT. Anyone have good or bad comments? Seems a nicer atmos to Downtown, close to Night Market and quick to Highway and Downtown when required. Also saw a nice place in Shi Da but slightly concerned that traffic/smog/noise will get to me after a while. Didn’t like East/South-East (101 area) Downtown at all so those are a non-starter. Not interested in further into Tienmu either.

Not entirely connected, and I think I know the answer, but is it possible to get any Scottish football coverage in Taipei, even just Old Firm games?

Ba’heid

I love Shihlin. Not sure if it’s for everyone, and there don’t seem to be too many foreigners in the area, but it’s a very nice area, IMHO.

Working in Hsinchu, mountain biking, countryside close by? You could consider Bitan. Right on the MRT, so you have easy access to downtown, right on the edge of the city so there’s some biking straight from yer hoose, more or less, only about a minute to the No. 3 freeway that takes you to Hsinchu in under 30 minutes if you’re really a ba’heid or about 45 if you’re not.
Only problem with Bitan is the neeburs – I live there.

As for fitba’, the Tavern is your place. There’s an ad for it on this site someplace.
Edit: And me a moderator of the Bars and Restaurants Forum, too. Very shoddy work there. Apologies to you.
Click on this
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-new-tavern-premier-the-chat-thread/9900/1 or [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-new-tavern-premier-food-service/9895/1 one[/url] for far more than you want to know about the Tavern.

I was thinking along similar lines as Sandman – Xindian area. As for Shilin, not sure it fits your needs, but it is a nice area.

[quote=“sandman”]Working in Hsinchu (Xinzhu), mountain biking, countryside close by? You could consider Bitan. Right on the MRT, so you have easy access to downtown, right on the edge of the city so there’s some biking straight from yer hoose, more or less, only about a minute to the No. 3 freeway that takes you to Hsinchu (Xinzhu) in under 30 minutes if you’re really a ba’heid or about 45 if you’re not.
Only problem with Bitan is the neeburs – I live there.

As for fitba’, the Tavern is your place. There’s an ad for it on this site someplace.
Edit: And me a moderator of the Bars and Restaurants Forum, too. Very shoddy work there. Apologies to you.
Click on this
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-new-tavern-premier-the-chat-thread/9900/1 or [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-new-tavern-premier-food-service/9895/1 one[/url] for far more than you want to know about the Tavern.[/quote]

Goodness, 45 minutes to Hsinchu from Bitan?

I think the daily commute would get really old, really fast. Why not check out our neck of the woods on our mountaintop community here in Yangmei. 20 minutes from work, 45-50 from Taipei and mountain biking trails from hell without even needing a car. You can access the mountains easily from here without even going through any towns, i.e. no traffic.

Only downside is that you’ll have to commute for your nightlife, but on the upside you can rent a detached home w/yard for less than what you’d pay for a 2-bedroom apartment in Shilin.

Hsinchu will be a minimum 1:20 minute commute and that’s with no traffic. I’ll spend up to and over 2 hours trying to get to Taipei during morning or evening rush hour, and I’m 20-30 minutes north of Hsinchu.

If the allure of city life is too strong to resist, then Sandman is probably correct with Bitan, but if country living, easy access to the mountains/mountain biking and commuting convenience are your first priorities then Sunny forest Hill in Yangmei is the place for you.

I’ll assume for the moment that you’ll be working in the Hsinchu industrial park.

First, you decide to live in Taipei somewhere. You’ll have to leave the house no later than 6am to beat the morning rush hour south. You’ll then have another 2+hour commute home during the afternoon rush hour.

Second, you could choose Yangmei. 20 minute ride to work, you are far enough south to miss all the major traffic jams with the same commute time home. If you want to hit the Taipei watering holes simply head home, take a quick shower and have dinner. By the time you finish the worst of the traffic will have subsided, and you can enjoy a leisurely 45 minute cruise into Taipei. There are several keen mountain bikers living here as well (all of whom post here) who can all attest to the quality of the mountain biking within 10 minutes of our community.

I’ve been up here nearly a decade, and would never consider moving even if I had to make the commute. Another poster here recently bought a home in the community even though his wife commutes daily to Taipei by train. They looked for housing in all of the areas mentioned in the previous posts, and to quote them: “We couldn’t find anything even remotely comparable anywhere in Taipei”.

Send me a PM if you are interested in a more logical alternative… :slight_smile:

[quote=“MJB”] There are several keen mountain bikers living here as well (all of whom post here) who can all attest to the quality of the mountain biking within 10 minutes of our community.

Send me a PM if you are interested in a more logical alternative… :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yes, mountain biking. I live in the same community.

I get on the bike at home and pedal uphill for 12 minutes then have maybe 20 different route options to take. Great spots with scenic views. Lots of tea farm rides on narrow paved roads and options of some technical dirt tracks if you feel the need.

Our community is gated and some of the expats even leave their keys in vehicles. I’m not quite that trusting but you can return home at night and be reasonably sure everything will still be there.

There are 2 pools, indoor and outdoor. Tennis courts, basketball and a roller blading rink.

Probably best of all the streets are leafy and quiet. The type of thing a lot of us miss from back home.

A bit ambitious on drive time to Hsinchu, sorry about that. It takes me about 40 minutes, true, but I’d no more think of doing it in rush hour than I would fly in the air, so you should take MJB’s estimate as a more accurate time for workday traffic.
Nice as the Hill is, though, I’d say you’d feel a bit isolated if you’re new here, without family, etc. Just a thought.