Arguemnet w/ boss over proper english. What do you think?

The sentence was a topic for an essay:

“If I were an Adult”

I corrected her, saying it should be:

“If I was an Adult” or “If I were to be an Adult”

She said that “were” is future tense and can be used like she used it. But, it just sounds funky to me. I always was taught that “were” belongs to plural nouns, such as: “We were” “They were” etc.

In the end, she is the boss, so I taught it her way. But it bothers me.

Who was right?

Derek

I think you are splitting hairs…how often do you actually use “to be” when you are speaking? It reminds me of the old joke
Knock knock
Who’s there?
It is I
Go away there are too many English teachers in here already

[quote=“derek1978”]The sentence was a topic for an essay:

“If I were an Adult”

She said that “were” is future tense and can be used like she used it. But, it just sounds funky to me. I always was taught that “were” belongs to plural nouns, such as: “We were” “They were” etc.

Who was right?[/quote]

She was right. You gave other possibilities, but she was right (Though her explanation sucked).

It’s second conditional, it’s hypothetical, and in this case it is correct to use “were”.

The way she used “were” is correct, but not used by us average plebs.
Once I was caught out with “How do you do?”. A teacher asked me what the correct reply was supposed to be. I did some research (google) and found out it was “How do you do?” Another one is “fish/fishes”. Be careful, they find the trickiest things to show you that you are not as smart as you’re supposed to be.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“derek1978”]The sentence was a topic for an essay:

“If I were an Adult”

Who was right?[/quote]

She was right. You gave other possibilities, but she was right (Though her explanation sucked).

It’s second conditional, it’s hypothetical, and in this case it is correct to use “were”.[/quote]

Sorry, dude, but my little bro is, as always, right.
It’s a weird quirk when using the second conditional, irrespective of the subject, the BE auxiliary is always “were”.
It’s not archaic, it’s not overly formal or flowery, it’s just correct grammar.
And yeah, her explanation was bullshit.

The only way you can regain face is to ask her an equally difficult question about Chinese grammar or vocabulary.

[quote=“derek1978”]The sentence was a topic for an essay: “If I were an Adult”

I corrected her, saying it should be: “If I was an Adult” or “If I were to be an Adult”

She said that “were” is future tense and can be used like she used it. But, it just sounds funky to me. I always was taught that “were” belongs to plural nouns, such as: “We were” “They were” etc. In the end, she is the boss, so I taught it her way. But it bothers me. Who was right?[/quote]
As has been pointed out, she was right and you were wrong. Although her explanation sucked, keep this episode in mind the next time you disagree. Allow for the possibility that you are wrong and remain silent until you are dead-sure you know what you’re talking about.

Also, you have two separate spelling errors in the word “argument”. :sunglasses:

You’ve been in Taiwan five minutes and you think you know English grammar??

bwahahahahahaha :wink:

Lots of Taiwanese students know the grammar, they eat, sleep and shit grammar better than we non-native and even some english teachers … but they can’t talk the talk … ‘ello’, ‘esse’ … ha … watch, keep quite, learn and safe face … BTW, are you wearing spectacles? If not they think your stupid because you didn’t read (study) enough and ruined your eyes this way … haha!

I second this.

Don’t let it get you down, though – when you’re new to teaching English, there’s a lot to learn. :wink: Lesson one: don’t argue with your boss. Lesson two: pick up a good grammar reference book and use it.

BTW, the ‘was’ version is very colloquial, and some grammar books now allow for it, but it has always sounded wrong to me. IMO, ‘were’ is the only educated choice. Then again, I grew up using ‘wont’. :stuck_out_tongue:

The “were” is in the subjunctive mood, which is used in the second conditional. The subjunctive mood is used for uncertainly, contrary-to-fact, doubt, suspicion, etc. Your teacher was wrong about why it is ised, but right about it being correct.

Examples of the subjunctive:

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Wiener. (colloquially often “was”)
If I were a rich man… (colloqially often “was”)
Come the revolution… (not “comes”)
Be it a happy or sad occasion… (not “is”)
God bless you (not “blesses”)
So that she remember, … (colloquially often “remembers”)
As it were (not “was”)
Be that as it may
Till death do us part (not “does”)
The powers that be (not “are”)
Long live the King (not “lives”)

remember as well, that how NSs actually use language has extremely little bearing on the matter - it is all about getting the correct answer on the test, which is (almost certainly) based on prescriptive rules.

Somebody has to know the song, “If I were a rich girl, nah, nah, hah, nah!”

“were” is correct and I would consider it to be mandatory to use “were” rather than “was” in the example you cited. “Was” is just sloppy. Like my not starting that sentence with a capital letter.

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener
That is what I truly wish to be
'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener
Everyone would be in love with me.

Though I’d still vote for “was.”

This is an example of the prescriptive/descriptive debate over how we should approach grammar.

See techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magaz … ammar.html

Many native speakers (including myself) would use ‘I was’ in the subjunctive. It sounds right to me and we’ve all dropped other features of older forms of English like ‘ye’ and ‘thee’. So why shouldn’t drop this archaism? On the other hand, the strong reaction this issue provokes from traditionalists means that you need to consider your audience carefully before deciding to ignore this grammar rule. The key, I think, is to make an informed choice.

In the future, just say you’re sorry and weren’t thinking straight because of the heat. Of course she’s right! Then go back to your classroom and teach it the way she wants you to. Collect money. Go home to girl. Be happy!

Remember, the boss is always smarter than you. Never forget that!

Now that you argued with her, she’ll be watching you. Best to look for another job ASAP. :smiley:

Does anyone recommend a good grammar book? My Engrish is getting worser bye the day…

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]

Does anyone recommend a good grammar book? My Engrish is getting worser bye the day…[/quote]

Yeah, this one:
English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy
amazon.com/gp/product/052152 … e&n=283155

Actually there are several books in the series. The one I linked to is, I guess, the intermediate one, and the one that has always been most useful to me.

Just make sure you get one with the answers at the back.

[quote=“Feiren”]This is an example of the prescriptive/descriptive debate over how we should approach grammar.

See techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magaz … ammar.html

Many native speakers (including myself) would use ‘I was’ in the subjunctive. It sounds right to me and we’ve all dropped other features of older forms of English like ‘ye’ and ‘thee’. So why shouldn’t drop this archaism? On the other hand, the strong reaction this issue provokes from traditionalists means that you need to consider your audience carefully before deciding to ignore this grammar rule. The key, I think, is to make an informed choice.[/quote]

Hippy. You should be spoking the Queen’s English like wot she should be speaked!

To me, ‘were’ is not an archaism; it’s alive and well, and it’s simply the form I grew up using. :idunno: But some of my high school and college friends used ‘was’, so I grew accustomed to hearing that too. Most of those friends had mediocre or even crappy English in general, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tell my students that ‘were’ is more formally correct, and that that’s what I use, although many native speakers do now use ‘was’. I suggest to them that they use ‘were’ in formal contexts including business and academic writing. They’re all bankers, grad students and professors, so I prefer to be traditionalist in my approach.

Anyway, let’s not confuse what’s traditionally correct with what’s archaic please. :wink: