Ariving on Monday - HELP!

Thanks for all of you replied to my BEIJING ACCENT post , the information was useful, although Ironlady has put the wind up me a bit.

Anyway, I now have my airtickets, (Via Singapore ,Can you belive it!!)

I have to attend a 11.30am Meeting on Monday(I arrive Sunday) morning as the Tiawanese Client wants to assess me before I start. The “Interview” will be with 3 Taiwanese,one Brit and two Japanese staff!

I then have Monday night in Taipei and return to the UK (Via Singapore on Tuesday)

I have have a few questions,

1. I have been told that this is an informalilty , but the fact I’m being flown B/Class half way round the world makes me nervous.
    The mainland chinese would set traps and try and break my concentration to asses how I dealt with pressure, are the taiwanese staff likely to try the same thing?

2. I’ve not been told dress code, but in my previous experience, the taiwanese are significantly snappier dressers ? Any obvious colours to avoid

3. Whats the best way to get from the Airport to my hotel (No Idea yet, but i will assume it’s going to be a flashy 5 star), All the books say the airport taxi drivers are crooks.

4. I want to go to Tien Mu, I’ve been told that the best expat housing is all around, is it close to the schools for my kids (6 and 5). True/False

5. I want to take toys back for my children, I will probably only have monday night or possibly sunday afternoon, anybody know any good toy shops.
    (My eldest wants to be a power ranger)

Thanks for anybodys help in advance

Subway52

Gosh, I didn’t mean to “put the wind up” (I’m not even sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good!). Remember that research is just research. Individual results depend more on individual relationships. If you comb your hair and smile, I’m sure you’ll be fine!!

The only question I can even try to answer is the taxi one. I have only once been ripped off by a Taiwan taxi driver, and that was WITHIN the city after I got off an airport bus. In that case, it was only a feeble attempt by the driver – maybe the long-nose doesn’t really know how far the World Trade Center is from the train station – of course since I lived there I did, told him so, and got out and looked for another cab.

If you are afraid of taxis, you could take an airport bus to the city. They are quick and convenient and pretty cheap. You can get them going to various destinations. I’m sure the folks at the airport could point you to the right one once you know which hotel you’re aiming for.

Enjoy your stay!

Terry

1. If they don’t give you the Chinese water torture, you’re probably in good shape. If they take you out to a piano bar and offer you a prostitute, it’s not a test of your moral fiber.

2. Attire–If you really want to impress them, wear a bright red blazer with blue slacks, plaid suspenders, an orange tie, and green patent leather shoes. With buckles, not laces. These are all lucky colors in Taiwan, and the buckles on the shoes signify stability and trustworthiness. Seriously, though, I’m sure a typical business suit would be appropriate. White socks used to be popular here, but I don’t think anyone will mind if you go with a more conservative color. And clean underwear.

3.The bus service is good, and cheap.

I’ve always had good luck with the official airport taxi service. But the lines are long and unofficial taxi drivers mihgt try to snatch you out of line.

Several of nicer hotels have limo services at the airport. Last time I checked rates were about NT$1,500-2,000 for a nice Volvo or Mercedes. You might want to call ahead to the hotel and reserve something.

1. True. Your children are 6 and 5. And Tien Mu is a bit cleaner than the rest of the city and is home to the Taiwan American School. Unless thy’re putting you up at the Grand Hotel, it will be a bit of a hike. Count on at least 45 minutes. You might want to try to contact a local realtor ahead of time. At a minimum, have a guide to help make the most of your time.

2. There’s a Toy’s ‘R’ Us on Hsin Sheng North Road, I believe. Ask the hotel consierge.