Arkansas Diner

The same person keeps bumping this thread. It wouldn’t be mentioned that much otherwise.

1 Like

Well the thread is called “Arkansas Diner,” so that might be one reason. :rofl:

Kudos to forumosans in Kaohsiung for at least staying focused and on topic. Some of your brethren in the north seem to have been losing their minds lately…

Guy

2 Likes

I think you might have “thread” and “forum” confused. A thread focuses on a smaller topic. A forum consists of many threads.

Well OK. But since it’s about a foreign owned business which seems much beloved by forumosans, who post and write about it in this thread and others?

Given the flood of negative junk that has also appeared lately, I’ll take it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Not trying to attack Arkansas Diner. Just wondering why other, similar restaurants are almost never mentioned. Kaohsiung is huge after all.

Thank You!

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Lighthouse Bar and Grill in Kaohsiung

2 posts were split to a new topic: Legends

Parking is easier, but still more traffic with the Mall and New Marriott (anyone eat there?).

1 Like

The parking lot is easier, for sure, street parking is still a bit of a cluster fuck.

Have eating at the mall shops. Seemed pretty poor considering the price. So now just eat at the regular restaraunts around there which are great and not giving a huge percent to the ultra rich mall landlord (=that cost is coming out from the food supply side). I enjoy supporting the food, but less so the mall…wish all the best tothe vendors in the mall, but i dont have high hopes for half of them.

1 Like

Your review does not sound good, so as you say I will keep eating at the outside independent places. The buffet looks interesting but not the price.

It waa standard department store type food. But note i only tried 3. I a t at he food court places, havent tried their upstairs restaraunts yet, only walked around afew times. Of the few i tried the indian place was by FAR the best. But it wasnt up to snuff based on outside indian eatery standards. Just my opinion of course. Nothing was horrible ,but nothing was great either. And everyrhing was iver priced for the type of food provided. Whihc us understandable base on shopping mall landlord fees (essentially like 711 type fees and reduction of quality for cost control).

2 Likes

Yes, food prices there are not cheap. Arkansas is near and better value.

Went for lunch today.
Things you should know…

1. Cash only.
  2. Parking for a car can be tricky. The hospital parking lot a block away worked for us.
  3. Call ahead to see if their full menu is available.

We had a large family group of 9 and ended up spending a bit over 4K.
They allow pets on the 1st floor but not the 2nd. They were kind to let us leave our small dog in his travel case on the first floor while we ate.

We were looking forward to the ribs and other items…banana split , etc. But found out after arriving that it was breakfast / lunch menu only and many items on the menu were not available due to them preparing to close for CNY.

The decor is very cool. Lots of retro toys and nostalgic items on display. Lots of humor on the walls.

They were moderately busy when we arrived, but service felt chaotic and rushed. The first waitress who seated us felt unfriendly and not welcoming. We asked what kind of steaks were available and she told us in a not so friendly way to “read the menu”. Water was given to other tables, but not ours. All of that kind of got us off to a not so nice start.

The owner came over and warmed things up, so that was much appreciated. He is very friendly and helpful.

The food portions are more than enough. Everyone left more than full.

Pulled Pork Sandwich was spot on perfect.
Bacon waffles were huge.
Steak with a fried egg and biscuits and gravy were delicious, but could use a bit more gravy.
Cornbeef hash with buscuit was good.
Peanut butter milkshake and chocolate milkshakes felt like legit thick homemade milkshakes from…well…back home.
Wanted to order a rootbeer float, but no vanilla ice cream this week.
Apple pie was huge…one slice can easily feed two people.

The quality of the food and the friendliness of the owner turned our visit from a not so good one to a much better one.

We called in advance for a reservation and wish they would have told us about the limited menu for today.

All in all, worth the price.
Very authentic food.
Well made.
Willing to go back for a second try.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Maybe your waitress is a new hire (and will either shape up or be gone before too long). We have a regular waitress who is always super nice to me and my kids. Sounds like a good experience otherwise though! The retro toys are great. Can’t go there too often or it’ll affect my waistline. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We noticed the newish apartments next to the place and commented on how nice it would be to live so close…wait, hold that, on second thought…the waist would do better a bit further away.

Are you moving to Kaohsiung?

He told me he got most from a toy place in Tainan. Even the awseome Goonies action figures!

I had a fun time educating my 6 year old daughter on all the relics from her Dad’s childhood like Beavis & Butthead and Peewee’s Playhouse, etc. Only problem is she wanted to play with them and I had to let her know these toys ain’t for playing.

1 Like

Been thinking about it. But will wait a few more years. The cost of housing down south seems just as much as up north. Need our house to appreciate more before selling.

1 Like