Arms to China embargo-lifting... delayed! :D

I recently sent this to the ECCT in Taipei

nytimes.com/2005/03/22/politics/22diplo.html

"Given the recent interest in this story, I would hope that the European Chamber of Commerce in Taipei supports
the embargo on arms sales to Taiwan.

As a citizen of the European community who currently lives in Taiwan, I can’t stress enough how important this
embargo is for the development of democracy and stability on the island.

The sale of advanced weapons by any member of the EC would undermine this situation, and possibly allow
the current tension in the Straits to develop into a full blown conflict or war.

I would be delighted to hear your organisations reaction to this turn of events."

Given that the proposal has now been set back, all Europeans in Taiwan need to make their views on this issue know… More weapons sales can’t be good…

Please email the ecct@ecct.com.tw and let them know your opposition to the lifting of the embargo.

If we act now, this set back for the lifting of the embargo can be driven home to our leaders. Selling arms to China is BAD…

Kenneth

[quote]"Given the recent interest in this story, I would hope that the European Chamber of Commerce in Taipei supports
the embargo on arms sales to Taiwan. "[/quote]
Uhhh…surely you are referring to extending the embargo on EU arms sales to the PRC?

:saywhat: Selling arms to China is bad, so there should be an embargo on Taiwan? :saywhat:

Plus, your describing it as a “setback” makes it sound as if you feel the embargo is a bad thing. You need an editor!

A bit more news on the EU embargo.

[quote]EU feels the heat on China embargo
New Feature, Powered by Ultralingua (hmm…sounds interesting)
By Judy Dempsey International Herald Tribune

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
BERLIN The European Union’s plans to lift its arms embargo against China by June appeared to be collapsing Tuesday after months of intense lobbying by the United States and a negative reaction to China’s recent decision to respond militarily to any moves by Taiwan toward independence.
The climbdown will be a serious embarrassment for the EU’s efforts to forge a common policy over an issue that had already divided the 25 member states, according to diplomats and security analysts.b[/b]
iht.com/articles/2005/03/22/news/arms.html
[/quote]

[quote]Bush has more influence in the EU than Chirac, weapons embargo on china stays in place

EU momentum to lift the China arms embargo is evaporating in the face of US pressure and the recent Chinese anti-secession law.

.S. President George W. Bush, on the first visit by a U.S. leader to EU headquarters last month, lobbied the 25-nation bloc to keep the ban on weapons sales to China in place because of ``deep concern’’ over an arms race on the Pacific rim. The EU imposed the arms embargo after China’s crackdown on protesters in Tiananmen Square in 1989.

The U.S. House of Representatives, by a vote of 411-3 on Feb. 2, appealed to the EU to maintain the arms-sales curbs. Lawmakers from both parties argued that such sales could mean U.S. military forces might face European-made weaponry if called upon to defend Taiwan against an attack from the mainland.

A French-led campaign to lift the embargo, imposed after the violent Tiananmen Square crackdown in 1989, ``remains the objective, but we cannot give a timetable,’ Gallach said before a meeting of EU leaders yesterday in Brussels.[/quote]

fuckfrance.com

:smiley: :America:

I don’t really see how this affects the overall scheme of things military wise. So even if the EU doesn’t sell USA technology to China, it slows things down what? 10 years, 15 years.

So it takes China 10 or 15 years longer to build a creditable invasion forces for Taiwan, that can repel USA interference.

Should not the ROC come up with a viable plan to defuse the situation with the PRC on the Strait Issue. Instead of wasting valuable time screwing around.

No, the EU isn’t even going to wait that long. Barring changes, the EU has made a strategic decision to remove the weapons ban. If it is delaying, it is tactical, to appease the US. EU isn’t stupid. It knows the US is using the ASL as a great excuse that fell out of the sky, and that nothing the ASL says changes the situation from before at all.

Just like the MFN was approved (with tactical delay on the order of years) and China entered the WTO (with tactical delay on the order of years), once the strategic decision is made, it happens sooner or later.

From the perspective of all three parties, the actual lifting of the ban isn’t the point – yes maybe there will be some new weapons sold, though unlikely to be of any sensitive kind – but the strategic relationships are vastly more important. China has successfully used a wedge issue to show the conflicting interests between the US and the EU; and the EU, wanting to present itself as an independent political force, can’t be all that happy about being shown, through this exercise, to be led by the nose again, especially after the Iraq mess. China gathers some information either way. It’s very smart.

It’s similar to what happened when Mao ordered an attack on CKS’s boats and to avoid the US boats in the Kinmen battles, finding out as well as showing to CKS the relationship of the US to CKS. It’s similar to what happened in the Vietnam excursion in the late 70s, showing to Vietnam the extent of the USSR’s relationship to it. It’s a way of untangling “guanxi” for one’s own benefit.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]So it takes China 10 or 15 years longer to build a creditable invasion forces for Taiwan, that can repel USA interference.

Should not the ROC come up with a viable plan to defuse the situation with the PRC on the Strait Issue. Instead of wasting valuable time screwing around.[/quote] Yes, I agree, Taiwan should start by erasing the China Nationalist Party’s (KMT) damage and change the official name from the ROC to Taiwan, enact a new constitution and build international support for Taiwan to join the UN and formalize its current independence from China before the Communists try to use force and murder Taiwan citizens to make force them to become part of their Communist country. Good idea AC! Time for Taiwan to act fast, starting with the peaceful protest march this Saturday. See you there!

:doh: I don’t think screwing around in a faster, more efficient, and more organized manner was exactly what I had in mind. :wall:

I personally am so vehemently opposed to the lifting of the arms ban that I’m boycotting France and Germany for ever considering the idea. May not do any good, but it feels good! :upyours:

I also plan to pay my taxes here honestly, to do my share in funding Taiwan’s defense, and I plan to vote only for US politicians who strongly support Taiwan. I say we lease some nuclear attack subs (say, two dozen?) to Taiwan while the others are being considered.

Dragonbones: I have been boycotting French products and traveling to France for a while now.

The arms embargo on China to stay until at least next year!

Report in today’s Guardian

Looks like China’s shenannigans have not gone unnoticed after all! :bravo:

In the same paper… more on China:

Critical Press Review

Dangers of Chinese Nationalism

At last… hopefully Europe’s recent China fever is beginning to abate! :Europe: