Around the island in 24 hours

I finally did it! I have joined the 24 hour club. I have heard of people riding their motorcycles around the entire island in 24 hours, but never did it. I am involved in the racing community and heard about a few people doing this and now that I did it, I almost don’t believe many Taiwanese have done this. I also wanted to ask and see what you other fellow forumosans have done.

I have ridden around the island numerous times on a 3 or 4 day trip, even been at the top of He Huan mountain on my bike when it was snowing, but riding around the island in 24 hours was the most physically and mentally demanding thing that I have ever done in my life. We actually made the time by exactly 24 hours, not a minute more. Just amazing! Total time without sleep was 38 hours. We just stopped for small snacks, gas, and an oil change on all the bikes. One friend had a small crash, but he was ok except for some road rash. He had a weird out of the blue “low side.” The bike needed a few small repairs, but it still made it. So that put us back about an hour.

I rent a beach house out in Fulong on the East coast, so we started there. We left at 3:00 AM during Chinese New Year. We went north, which later turned out to be a mistake because the last stretch home was mountainous and we were exhausted. We should have thought that through better, haha. Anyway, it rained all the way until about Hsin Chu. After that it was beautiful weather the entire way. We hit minimal traffic which made the challenge a little easier. The hardest part was when we finally made it to TaiTung at 8:30 PM and still knowing how much more we had to go. The last part hours through Hualien and Illan were rainy again and we were all just exhausted. We finally pulled back into Fulong at exactly 3:00 AM 24 hours later.

So has anyone else done this or tried it? It was a pretty neat accomplishment, but I would never ever do it again. The bikes we had were my CPI 250cc, a Yamaha FZR 250cc, a Kymco KTR 180cc and a Yamaha SR 200cc. All the bikes had modifications. My CPI had the most power, but was probably the most uncomfortable. To be honest I think that was one of the stupidest things I have ever done in my life. It was extremely dangerous. I’m so glad the 4 of us all made it back safe and sound. I rode my CPI SM 250. It is a pretty uncomfortable bike to ride after a few hours, but after 24 hours I can’t explain how uncomfortable it was.

Anyway, I am curious to see what other people have done in terms of riding around Taiwan.

Congratulations. Sounds very impressive. I can imagine how much focus was needed for the last few hours. I did drive most of the island, but full circle and not bike. I hope you had a good weather, as sometime conditions are terrible. Did you made any videos? I would be interested in checking it out. Cheers

If this were on a track, I’d be more inclined to say, “Congratulations”, but on public roads, I worry that you are endangering others as well as yourself. I’ve gone without sleep for long periods of time; I worry that after 36 hours without sleep, you end up being as bad as many drunk drivers.

Did you feel your driving skills diminishing toward the end?

[quote=“zender”]If this were on a track, I’d be more inclined to say, “Congratulations”, but on public roads, I worry that you are endangering others as well as yourself. I’ve gone without sleep for long periods of time; I worry that after 36 hours without sleep, you end up being as bad as many drunk drivers.

Did you feel your driving skills diminishing toward the end?[/quote]

I see your point and was worried about this myself, but I consider myself a great rider. We are all really good riders and talked about this. We said that if anyone was too tired then we would abort the challenge. I never felt like I was going to endanger anyone else. My body was physically exhausted, but we took it slow. There was minimal traffic on the roads. Only a few times did we get into a traffic jam. We all stayed together and all stopped together too. Towards the end the conditions were actually the worst, but it was after 12:00 AM so there were no cars, nothing.

But this is why I don’t think many people have actually done this. I have heard of people doing it, but to be honest a normal rider wouldn’t be able to accomplish this in Taiwan with the weather and road conditions.

Anyway thanks for your input, but I feel I see way worse things on the roads here every day. We were safe, but yes it could have been very dangerous.

Thanks for the congrats. I did have my go pro recording, but not the entire time obviously. I made little video clips here and there, but ran out of space on my card about halfway through. The footage isn’t the impressive, hahah.

Something to do once in a lifetime perhaps, but yes, more then casually foolhardy .

And certainly one where the destination (being right back where one started) defeats the journey, because the journey should have been the destination.

but… congrats nonetheless. Achieving a goal.

Its a feat to stay on a motorbike 24 hours I would say.

Well done! 24 hours is quite impressive. I’d just like to do a leisurely tour around the island on my Honda CB400sf. Haven’t yet, but it’s on my list!

Sounds about twice as painful as being anally raped in a prison might be, but impressive nevertheless. I’ve always been somewhat proud of my 3 day trip around the north half of the island on a 125cc Yamaha majesty a few years back. Taipei to Sun Moon Lake on the first day, across to Hualien on the second day, and back up to Taipei via the east coast on the third. About as much as I could take, but lots of fun!

These days I enjoy touring in a car far more. No more breathing in the exhaust or getting wet.

Well done. I would have liked to have done a Tour round the Island on the bike but Fireblade would kill my body :noway:
Unfortunately i wont get the chance for a while…have to sell the bike soon to help pay for rally car :cry:

Congratulations! I´d love to do something like this, but I also think that it´s kinda dangerouse. I´ve never done so many hours on a bike (perhaps half, but with many stops), but this CNY, some days I was riding and BORED (riding slow because my gf was too far behind me), and because of the boredom I became more absent minded. I guess that 24h would have a similar or even worse effect on me. I need to focus on what I do :smiley:

That is why Autobahns are awesome. You have to keep your focus at speeds over 200km/h. I really think that Germans nailed it with that idea. Looks like Rk have great focus to do this long ride. I was always impressed by focused sport driver and overall professional sport people are. There was one documentary about Michael Jordan and their conclusion was that he doesn’t have any advantages over other players, except his amazing focus on game.

Re driving in Taiwai - is there a very nice curvy mountain road that is great for a joy rides? Somewhere near Taipei possibly?
Engaging driving is very relaxing and as soon I’ll spend decent time in Taiwan, it would be great to know. You know one of those with hairpins and not much traffic. Last year I had a chance to drive a few in Europe, Transfargarasan Road being one of them. But still my favourite was Amalfi coast, Maiori to Pompeii over the hill, at night. Glorious views and some tight squeezes there.

I know several windy roads, really twisted roads (including the (un)famous number 9). Definitively, there are roads that are a hell of fun, but none with zero traffic.

Hi Jesus. I would appreciate tips on some twisted mountain roads. Where to find them?

Do you think on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provincial … 9(Taiwan - I drove on the way to Toroko, from Taipei. Nice coastal road. Not much too much challenging, but nice. Actually, drive around Alishan was very twisted. But too many tourist buses and cars, so could not push it too much.

Hi dean,

well, I guess that if you are a very experienced rider number 9 is not as adrenalinic as if you are starting. However, there are 4 or 5 curves that I´m sure that you need to reduce gas a lot :smiley:. It also depends on the speed you ride it. BTW, take number 9 to Hualien or even to Kending. Taroko is beautiful, but not specially interesting for riding.

Then you have several small roads that go from Linkou to the coast. They are small, only one lane “roads” that are a lot of fun. Not for high speeds, though. They´re just too small and twisted at some points. The good thing of these roads is that not so many riders come here to ride them, just a few, and cars appear from time to time, but a way less than in other roads. Nevertheless, that´s one more reason for not going too fast: most of the vehicles in this country tend to occupy the center of the road, and sometimes, the inner part, which sometimes is your own lane…

One not specially twisted but an interesting mountain ride is the road that takes you from Sanxia to Yilan, number 7(2nd) and then number 7 (regular :P). Number 7 is a very nice road for riders with some fun curves, may be not deadly curves, but that are fun. At some point it starts to climb the mountains in the direction to Yilan, becoming a more narrow yet enjoyable mountain road. The views are much better than from number 9.

Hope that you find it helpful.

Wow impressive indeed! Can you tell us what roads did you take? Which ones were the most beautiful to ride?

How long do you think is going to take the trip Taipei-Sanxia-Yilan-Taipei? Between Sanxia and Yilan are there any petrol stations for refuelling?

[quote=“perafelix”]

How long do you think is going to take the trip Taipei-Sanxia-Yilan-Taipei? Between Sanxia and Yilan are there any petrol stations for refuelling?[/quote]

It depends how much traffic there is, but you can do the ride from Sanxia to Ilan in 2-3 hours no problem. You wont have any problems getting gas either. I think I have done that stretch in an hour and a half before, but I was going pretty fast and only stopped for gas.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“perafelix”]

How long do you think is going to take the trip Taipei-Sanxia-Yilan-Taipei? Between Sanxia and Yilan are there any petrol stations for refuelling?[/quote]

It depends how much traffic there is, but you can do the ride from Sanxia to Yilan in 2-3 hours no problem. You wont have any problems getting gas either. I think I have done that stretch in an hour and a half before, but I was going pretty fast and only stopped for gas.[/quote]

Don´t quite remember how long it took from Sanxia to Yilan, but 90 minutes sounds pretty fast to me. I think that it´s over 100 km (120? dunno), and some parts of the road couldn´t be called road.

As for the original question, there´s a gas station on number 7 near Sanxia (there´re several indeed), and my tank is pretty small. If I could do it, you can do it :slight_smile:

Hard to say… one example: I was doing a lot the road that crosses YanMing mountain… then I got totally bored of it. About one month ago I used it again, and i loved it.

Something that I always say is that the best of Taipei is outside Taipei. Taiwan has no beautiful buildings (if compared to many other countries, of even just beign factual), Taiwan is polluted, Taiwan is crowdy, Taiwan… you know, but Taiwan has very nice views.