Arranged Marriage Question

I hope I have the right section and it should be interesting to see how long this post lasts before a mod or an admin nuke it but how popular are arranged marriages in Taipei. I guess I should be asking how popular are they with forigners and local girls. I am interested doing one with someone as this is probbley the only way I can get married

Try mainland China. If you meet the right requirements you’ll get a signing bonus.

wow really try china???

No offense intended, but if no one would voluntarily marry you (I assume that’s what you meant), what makes you think a parent would force their child to couple with you?

Have you considered a dog?

What’s your budget?

In Taiwan it’s best to cut out the “middleman” and deal directly with the desired 'tang. Don’t worry if the women back home thought you were a loser–here they probably won’t know the difference. Anyway, you can always negotiate later with the parents, if you decide to take the “option to buy.” Or who knows–you might decide on an upgrade. But do test-drive a few of them first.

Have you thought about India? (Check the “matrimonial” ads of any Indian newspaper–lots of them online.) It’s a dowry culture, so THEY pay YOU for taking their daughters away. You can get a nice fat young one, too–all bashful and nervous on her wedding night. And if things don’t work out you could always sell them into debt-bondage, arrange for an “accident” around the kitchen stove, or something of that nature.

It can’t be that hard. Heck, if you’re a citizen of certain North American or Western European nations you can probably find someone who’d be willing to pay you to marry them and move to said nation.

This should be posted under REALLY, really dumb, bad ideas
50 % of real marriages end in divorce today, then the cross-cultural poison, then the arranged bit…
sheeeesh just take a hammer and hit yourself on the head. Faster, easier and much less painful. :noway:

PS: My cousin married an Irishman and recently went for their interview, read ‘interrogation’ with ICE (Immigration) armed with photos, documents, letters to prove a four year REAL marriage which will be closely investigated. Penalties (criminal) apply. Talk to some of our own Forum posters who’ve been through this personally. I’m not exaggerating at all !

Just because you feel like you could never get married doesn’t mean you never could. My husband was 39 when we got married had never had a girlfriend, and was totally convinced he would never marry, and no, he’s definitely not gay and has no other objectionable traits (as far as getting married goes, I mean; nothing wrong with being gay as long as you’re not married to me!) :smiley:

And this was in the States, too…in Taiwan with a US passport, I’m sure he would have been mobbed (given his sense of humor and willingness to have endless inane conversations in English with random people…)

[quote=“ironlady”]Just because you feel like you could never get married doesn’t mean you never could. My husband was 39 when we got married had never had a girlfriend, and was totally convinced he would never marry, and no, he’s definitely not gay and has no other objectionable traits (as far as getting married goes, I mean; nothing wrong with being gay as long as you’re not married to me!) :smiley:

And this was in the States, too…in Taiwan with a US passport, I’m sure he would have been mobbed (given his sense of humor and willingness to have endless inane conversations in English with random people…)[/quote]That’s a really nice post, ironlady.

I’ve thought about an arranged marriage. I seek a docile man who is more than willing to do all housework, provide me with decent-looking children, and not tell me how to raise them. Body hair a plus.

Do brokers have those kinds of guys available?

Most financial planners are saying that buying (like real estate) isn’t looking good right now in the States. I think it’s best to rent with the option to buy. Ask any of our older male posters who will surely agree with me, Imani :smiley: Thnk 2008, plan ahead. :hubba:

Terry, you are so unique there’s nobody else like you anywhere. :laughing: Sweet story.

Rent a husband? Would I need to put down a damage deposit?

Hell NO ! You pick 'n choose, anything you like, and he does whatever you like, even clean !

[quote]I’ve thought about an arranged marriage. I seek a docile man who is more than willing to do all housework, provide me with decent-looking children, and not tell me how to raise them. Body hair a plus.

Do brokers have those kinds of guys available?[/quote]

They used to have caged orangutans for sale in the Wanka / Wanhua night market, right next to the teenage aboriginal girls. You could probably train one to mop or something. (The orangutans, I mean.)

No but marriage consuling(sp!) insurance may be provided.

is marrige really THAT important to you?

Hmmm…

Interesting question.

Arranged marriages are not common here among the locals, and they would be a rarity here indeed with foreigners involved.

They had the 同養妻 - IE the practice where poor parents would sell thier daughter (when she was small, say 3-5 years old) to another family, once she grew up she would marry one of the sons, however I think this practice died out in the early 1970’s. Aboriginees would sell their daughters into prostitution before, but I would think that this practice has more or less died down, due to increased prosperity, and also due to the big number of volunteers available in China.

If you really want to find a wife here, get to know some local male friends and ask them for introductions.

Also, cold hard facts apply to finding wifes here:

1. If you are a real loser, they will know. Cleaning up your act helps.
  2. If you are more or less OK, but butt ugly, suffering from a handicap or something like that, it will take a bit of time, but it’s indeed possible.
  3. 15% of all marriages here are arranged, but the bride is imported from SE Asia. That should mean that there’s a surplus of women wanting to get married. I have dated a few women here of the age where you think about getting kids, and they are in general anxoius about getting hitched. so - for most it should not be a problem.

If that fails, get a mailorder wife in Thailand or Vietnam. You can’t being her into Taiwan veyr easily though.

Don’t most locals seek Vietnamese brides these days in arrange marriages?

I think you have to find yourself a “red mistress” to do the arranging. But reputable ones will delve into your family background. Since the adage holds true that marriages in Taiwan are between families not individuals.

15% of marriages, meaning that 85% are not arranged and between locals.

Matchmakers do exist, but I don’t think they cater to foreigners.

That’s not arranged as such, it’s mroe like an introduction service.

Yahoo personals will be cheaper.

Eh, I had several classmates in college who were in arranged marriages -and yes, they had children. Local vrs. local, 30 somethings, well-educated, workaholics most of them. To this day and age I still wonder, why …? Family pressure, they said, but still…

In Spanish we say “velo y mortaja del cielo baja” “wedding veil and shroud from Heaven come”, meaning we believe in destiny/luck for finding our match. Taiwan is a different story. AFAIK, there is a lot of social pressure to marry, and there are sectors of society that are quite open to foreigners, but still, it is a whole different ballgame. they do not sit and wait, but make it happen.

You know, I have so many smart, beautiful, college-educated, self-sufficient Latino female friends abroad, that me and a married pal here were joking about setting up a marriage agency. Initial market analysis revealed that while limited and in some way highly competitive local environment, there was still a good chance. Why?

People always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It is easier to change the environment than to change yourself.