Arranged Marriage Question

Arranged? You mean introduced. Parents here don’t directly order the kids to marry mr. X or Miss Y. They might hint, however no obligations.

Well, in at least one of these cases I know it was more like “led into it”. I wouldn’t dare to say “obligation” -I believe you always have a choice- but as from the horse’s mouth, it seemed a LOT of family pressure towards marying Mr. X.

I mean, usually I hear of parents pressuring towards choosing a certain candidate, let’s say X over Y, but not setting the bar down as: this is it.

From the other cases, I think “introduction” would still be voluntary -you ask for it. The iniciative was not theirs, which is why I say that in this day and age, I don’t get it.

Are they happy? Reasonably so, as far as I could tell. It is not something you want to dwell upon, though it strikes you as a certain quirkiness.

This was also a quaint custom back home back in the day. Along with that other sweet one of one of the children staying single to take care of the parents, you know, Like Water for Chocolate.