Arrested in Thailand

An expat friend of mine is vacationing in Thailand at the moment, and another friend who was with him came back and brought the rest of us word that he was busted by Thai police in Bangkok for marijuana possession and is now in jail. I’m just curious as to what he can expect in the way of jail time, fines, deportation, etc. :s I’ve heard Thailand is VERY hardcore about it’s drug enforcement.

You can go visit him at the Bangkok Hilton…he will be there for the better part of a decade. He should have bribed the cops

:wall:

I hope they give him leniency, but I doubt it

[quote=“Chewycorns”]You can go visit him at the Bangkok Hilton…he will be there for the better part of a decade. He should have bribed the cops

:wall:

I hope they give him leniency, but I doubt it[/quote]
For Brits, you have to serve 8 years in Thailand, then you get deported to complete your sentence in a British jail (because he could well get a lot more than 8 years, depending on whether they decide he had intent to supply, which they usually do unless he was busted with just a doobie or something).
Getting busted in Thailand is a life-changing event.

BTW, if he decides to appeal either sentence or conviction he’ll stay in remand custody which (they say) is really cramped and miserable until the process is finished. That could take a while, but it’s usually worth appealing sentence. If he just takes what they give him he’ll go to the regular prison which a bit more comfortable. As Sandy points out, Thailand has a treaty with most countries that have diplomatic ties that allow inmates to serve half of sentence at a jail in their home country.
He should have bribed the arresting officer while he had the chance.

Here are some facts that might clear up the muddy water a bit.

• He’s a Canadian national
  • He was busted with more than just a doobie

He will probably get get two to five, but the maximum for marijuana possession in Thailand is 15 years. Why do foreigners do drugs in Thailand? The food, beaches, and pussy is all the narcotic I need :sunglasses:

I ask myself the same question. But, when in Taiwan he smoked obscene amounts of MJ along with some of my other friends. I can’t believe he was obsessed/stupid enough to do it in Thailand though. All of us know that’s a big no-no. :noway:

Need help? PM me.

Where was he caught exactly?

HG

Bring him cigarettes and condoms when you visit.

I guess this explains your new signature image.

Correct, MaPo.

Apparently he was just walking down a street in Bangkok with my other friend, and the cops pulled over and searched them both. Friend A was clean, but friend B had a small bag of weed on him. Based on those circumstances, I tend to believe it was one of those deals where the guy who sold the stuff to him also NARC’d on him. Sucks, but wtf was he doing with that crap in Thailand is what gets me.

OH mine!
My fellow canadian~
damn, i thought tailand is one of the biggest exporter of pot and cracks!!?
I was gonna plan to go there for some herbal treatment…

maybe it is time to find some local connection.

This case is not as simple as it looks. He must have pissed someone off big time to be just stopped on the street and searched.

True.

And, I disagree with those who say, they’ve got beaches and sexy girls in Thailand, why would one want to smoke dope. What better time and place to smoke a doobie then when you’re on vacation, far from cell phone, fax and suit and tie, you’re wearing shorts and flip-flops, cruising around on a motorbike, relaxing in the shade or enjoying the beach, with no committments for the next week or month or whatever. . . To me that seems like an ideal time to light one up. Maybe that’s why when I stayed at a rustic beach bungalow place on Koh Samui, the proprietor sold bags of weed to guests who were interested, who would casually roll joints and smoke them in the shade of the outdoor dining patio as they waited for their food and pondered another lazy day. No harm done.

I agree that it’s dangerous to purchase large quantities of drugs, particularly in foreign countries, or to transport drugs across international borders. But to carry a small baggie and smoke it in appropriate settings to me seems perfectly safe and acceptable. Some people like a cigarrette after dinner some like a doobie. Let’s not get too judgmental.

True.

And, I disagree with those who say, they’ve got beaches and sexy girls in Thailand, why would one want to smoke dope. What better time and place to smoke a doobie then when you’re on vacation, far from cell phone, fax and suit and tie, you’re wearing shorts and flip-flops, cruising around on a motorbike, relaxing in the shade or enjoying the beach, with no committments for the next week or month or whatever. . . To me that seems like an ideal time to light one up. Maybe that’s why when I stayed at a rustic beach bungalow place on Koh Samui, the proprietor sold bags of weed to guests who were interested, who would casually roll joints and smoke them in the shade of the outdoor dining patio as they waited for their food and pondered another lazy day. No harm done.

I agree that it’s dangerous to purchase large quantities of drugs, particularly in foreign countries, or to transport drugs across international borders. But to carry a small baggie and smoke it in appropriate settings to me seems perfectly safe and acceptable. Some people like a cigarrette after dinner some like a doobie. Let’s not get too judgmental.

[/quote]

And it is exactly this type of rationale that leads

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]What better time and place to smoke a doobie then when you’re on vacation, far from cell phone, fax and suit and tie, you’re wearing shorts and flip-flops, cruising around on a motorbike, relaxing in the shade or enjoying the beach, with no committments for the next week or month or whatever. . . To me that seems like an ideal time to light one up. Maybe that’s why when I stayed at a rustic beach bungalow place on Koh Samui, the proprietor sold bags of weed to guests who were interested, who would casually roll joints and smoke them in the shade of the outdoor dining patio as they waited for their food and pondered another lazy day. No harm done.

[/quote]

Aren’t you [i]supposed[/i] to be a lawyer or something? :unamused:

That’s correct, BF, and that’s why I included a disclaimer that it’s “dangerous to purchase large quantities of drugs, particularly in foreign countries, or to transport drugs across international borders.”

[quote=“blueface666”]
Aren’t you [i]supposed[/i] to be a lawyer or something? :unamused:[/quote]

There is nothing inconsistent with a lawyer having a personal opinion about a law that may contrast with his or her professional advice. As a lawyer, I would advise against purchasing drugs in any country where such drugs are illegal. However, personally speaking, I am for the legalization of marijuana, especially in small amounts and certainly for medicinal purposes.

I think MT is merely giving his personal view in support of the recreational use of marijuana. Lawyers are people too!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]What better time and place to smoke a doobie then when you’re on vacation, far from cell phone, fax and suit and tie, you’re wearing shorts and flip-flops, cruising around on a motorbike, relaxing in the shade or enjoying the beach, with no committments for the next week or month or whatever. . . To me that seems like an ideal time to light one up. Maybe that’s why when I stayed at a rustic beach bungalow place on Koh Samui, the proprietor sold bags of weed to guests who were interested, who would casually roll joints and smoke them in the shade of the outdoor dining patio as they waited for their food and pondered another lazy day. No harm done.

[/quote]

Aren’t you [i]supposed[/i] to be a lawyer or something? :unamused:[/quote]

I would never trust a lawyer who didn’t get high. :wink:

i just got back 2 mos. ago from a long 6 month stint in thailand, laos, etc. hafta say that i smoked my ash off in thaiguo, and laos but not just anywhere. the cops there are lunatics. for example, in bangkok, i never touched the stuff. on khao san i was offered some many times. i just politely declined. bad scene. in chiang mai, i loosened up a bit and had one or two doobs only in ultra safe conditions. but when i got to tarutao and started camping on the beach, i purchased a brick from one of the sea gypsy boats and just chilled with my girl and tunes for almost 2 mos. smoking every day. it’s all about knowing when and where and like having rhythm, that just can’t be taught.

i think buying and smoking in bkk is just asking for trouble. and that’s what this guy got. same with laos. way up north in luang namtha, i got into the opium thing, but in vientiane, i stayed clean as a whistle. when in doubt, don’t bother. it’ll come round again in much more civilized circumstances elsewhere.