Arrested in Thailand

Words to stay out of jail by.

Huh? No one got the cover . . . Legalise it . . . don’t criticise it . . .

Interested to know if your mate had just scored . . . did the cop hint at a bribe?

Weird tale.

Anyone know the final “extra-judicial killing count”? The Bangkok Post had a list during the crackdown on drugs which included an extra-judicial killing count. Up to 3,000 odd when I was there.

Of course Thailand’s infamous for getting busted but it’s also cool if you have half a brain. Your mate sounds damned unlucky.

HG

I wrote this back in 1992 after visiting an American friend called Bonnie who was in prison in Thailand for possession of heroin.

[quote]I had another chance to visit Bonnie later that day in the public visiting room, a lengthy process of paperwork and queueing. The afternoon crowd that had gathered around the prison offices, dark-skinned Thais and not a few West Africans, looked like regular visitors. 

There was one other European, slightly older than I, and you could tell he was a long-time expat at a glance

The latest:

One of my co-workers just finished out his contract, and is moving on to do a tour of Asia and Europe. He is going to land first in Thailand, and email those of us back in Taiwan after he visits our jailed pal. I’ll let you guys/gals know if anything new comes to light.

You do drugs in SE Asia, you are cutting the line for a Darwin award. :loco:

The good thing is that he wasn’t caught in Malaysia. Game over. :thumbsdown:

Just an update for those of you who are following this thread.

Another one of my friends/co-workers (we’ll call him Ben) left for Thailand about a week ago, to join the one already there. They both are there so they could be with our jailbird buddy when he went before the Thai court and help him in any way possible. Ben was due back on Thursday, but has yet to show up. I still have the keys to his place and all, so I’m sure he isn’t in Taiwan. Needless to say this has the rest of us here a little worried. They haven’t contacted us since they left either. They were supposed to have done so by now.

Well, I suppose all we can do wait and see. I’ll keep you guys/gals posted as more info comes in.

Somewhat off-topic, but someone I used to know back in High School, was caught drug trafficking in Singapore and is probably going to be hanged in the next few weeks.

geocities.com/law4u2003/nguyentuongyan.htm

I am usually very apathetic to these kind of things, but this was someone I knew so the experienced was a little different. :frowning:

Man that’s rough. Sorry about that. :s

Interesting link. Your friend was stupid though. Of all the places…Singapore!!! I am a gainst the death penalty but your friend seriously deluded himself thinking that “it couldn’t happen to me”.

Sympathy on the hanging, NONE for being stupid.

That’s pretty sobering. I was just bitching about my student loan payments before I read this. It kinda puts things into perspective. I support the death penalty for murder but this is inhumane.

my sympathy to him and his family.

[quote=“BroonAle”]Interesting link. Your friend was stupid though. Of all the places…Singapore!!! I am a gainst the death penalty but your friend seriously deluded himself thinking that “it couldn’t happen to me”.

Sympathy on the hanging, NONE for being stupid.[/quote]

Somebody should hang or lynch the Kuan Yew family in Singapore. I hope one day the timid people of Singapore pull off of what Romania did in 1989. :smiling_imp:

Read it all… that judge’s decision is in the dictionary next to “cold blooded.” If I saw Yew strung up I wouldn’t shed a tear for him.

The systems of government we enjoy in the west are, for all their failings, a great achievement of humanity. I never appreciated the US government enough before I moved here.

[quote=“Isaac”]Somewhat off-topic, but someone I used to know back in High School, was caught drug trafficking in Singapore and is probably going to be hanged in the next few weeks.

geocities.com/law4u2003/nguyentuongyan.htm

I am usually very apathetic to these kind of things, but this was someone I knew so the experienced was a little different. :frowning:[/quote]

He was carrying a pound of heroin? What an idiot. I’m entirely against the death penalty, but I’m also against arrogant stupidity.

[quote=“dix2111”]That’s pretty sobering. I was just bitching about my student loan payments before I read this. It kinda puts things into perspective. I support the death penalty for murder but this is inhumane.

my sympathy to him and his family.[/quote]
If some idiot overdosed on these drugs and died it would be murder wouldn’t it?

Oh come on. Selling someone dangerous drugs may not be civic minded but if you overdose and die on heroin, I got news for you, you have not been murdered, you have killed yourself. “What is this mysterious substance I am injecting? My I hope it couldn’t have any ill effects…”

I see it as the guy won and collected his Darwin Award. We should drink to his effort at improving the human gene pool. :bravo:

Maybe and you could use this to try an argue the fact he doesn’t desire the death penalty if Singapore didn’t execute people for trafficking drugs; but, in the U.S. a person that sells alcohol or guns to someone and then they kill someone or are involved in an accident then the seller is also held liable. Either way you look at it our boy knew what he was doing and now he has to pay…and damn if he didn’t know what the price was going to be BEFORE he got on the plane…yep…Darwin Award winner.

I don’t believe he was selling drugs in singapore or even that he realized the penalty for getting caught with drugs on a layover. this guy grew up in australia where the worst he would get is a 'strong talking to ’ for smuggling heroin.

there is or at least should be a difference between getting caught with drugs on a lay over and smuggling with intent to distribute in singapore.

no matter how you look at it you don’t deserve to be hanged for being stupid.

p.s there ares some pretty cruel remarks for a 22 year old about to die

drugs are bad ummm kay. don’t do drugs ummmm kay.

p.s
if i sell you a gun in good faith and it was a legal sale then i am not reasponsible for what you do with it.

if I sell you a gun and it was a legal sale but i suspect you might do a bad think then I can be charged…with something

i worked in a gun shop in north carolina and a customer came in and said. “i want to buy a gun”
I said “ok what kind of gun and what is the purpose”
He said “i just need a gun. I’ll take that blue one on the wall. I need 8 bullets”

we called the police and they came by to talk to him and he started crying so they took him away. probably shot him out back

my point is that this has nothing to do with some stupid fucker or not getting hanged for something many of you have done (in lessor degrees).

ever smoke or carry a liitle too much weed thailand or maylasia? not much difference. do you deserve to die?

Seems we got a lot of :beatnik: :beatnik: :beatnik: here…