Arriving in Taipei for first time, need a cell phone

I’m sure this has been asked many times before, but my searching wasn’t successful (probably because there are so many other discussions about cell phones)…

I’m arriving in Taipei from NZ to live for a while and want to get set up quickly with a cell phone. I gather that phones are reasonably priced, but have no idea where to buy one and how to get set up with service. I don’t speak any Chinese.

I saw this article…
tealit.com/telecom.htm
…but not terribly helpful about the details of where to go/what to do. May also be out of date? Eg, do I really need an address to get service? Will a hotel address do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

G’day Wellington to Taipei,
Welcome to Forumosa. I’m a fellow Kiwi (from Papakura, South Auckland). Why not get a cheap second-hand cell phone in NZ? The companies here use the same frequency bands (900 &1800).
When you come here find a FarEasTone store (遠傳電信 yuăn chuan) and sign up for a pre-paid IF card (易付卡 yìfù kă). A hotel address will be okay.

Cheers,
John

Do they no longer require an ARC? I had to have one to get my cell phone last year. Or is it yet again one of those Taiwanese things where it depends on which office and with whom you speak?

[quote=“almas john”]G’day Wellington to Taipei,
Welcome to Forumosa. I’m a fellow Kiwi (from Papakura, South Auckland). Why not get a cheap second-hand cell phone in NZ? The companies here use the same frequency bands (900 &1800).
When you come here find a FarEasTone store (遠傳電信 yuăn chuan) and sign up for a pre-paid IF card (易付卡 yìfù kă). A hotel address will be okay.

Cheers,
John[/quote]

Not an IF card from Far East Tone, go for Chunghwa telecom or Taiwan Mobile … but you need to present two kind of ID’s, passport and some other form … CHT is 300 NT$ for a start-up card and can be bought at any CHT office.

TSC wrote [quote]Do they no longer require an ARC? I had to have one to get my cell phone last year.[/quote]
Not needed for a pre-paid phone card.

The Pie Man wrote [quote]Not an IF card from Far East Tone, go for Chunghwa (Zhonghua) telecom or Taiwan Mobile [/quote]

What do you have against the IF card? It may cost a bit more than Chunghwa Telecom’s counterpart, but it is a easier to sign up for and use.

They don’t have a good coverage and are puke heads … I’ve an IF card but am in the process of changing, just let it run out now until December. Bought already a CHT pre-paid card, better coverage and cheaper.

If you’re able to get a hold of a Tri-Band cell phone before you leave NZ, then you can apply for a Pre-Paid SIM card as soon as you land. There are 3 service providers at the airport after you come through the securtiy section. It’s very easy to get a pre-paid SIM right away. If I can remember correctly, it will cost about $300nt and you’ll be connected in about 5mins.
If you’re not able to get a Tri-Band cell phone before you leave…I’m pretty sure you can either rent one upon arrival or you can buy one from one of the 3 service providers at the airport.
But this is your best bet…after you arrive, go to any cell phone shop and buy a second-hand phone. Then contact www.taiwancell.net . They have easy monthly plans for foreigners that don’t require ARC’s. I used them and it was great…NO need to buy those annoying re-charge cards for pre-paid SIMs.

Good Luck,

Carlos

Question for those of you who have a monthly service contract: If you go to Hong Kong or Singapore, are you able use your phone and the Taiwan service over there? Because I just have the pre-paid card, I have to switch cards in HK and S’pore, which is a pain. If a monthly service would allow me to use the phone in those countries, I’d probably make the switch.

[quote=“500CBFan”]Question for those of you who have a monthly service contract: If you go to Hong Kong or Singapore, are you able use your phone and the Taiwan service over there? Because I just have the pre-paid card, I have to switch cards in HK and S’pore, which is a pain. If a monthly service would allow me to use the phone in those countries, I’d probably make the switch.[/quote]You mean roaming? Yes, I think so. If I remember rightly my Taiwan Dageda service was fine in HK and it works alright in the UK too, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in Singapore. Trouble is the exorbitant roaming charges – both for making calls and sending messages and for receiving them I think. If I were planning to use my phone abroad to any great extent I’d want to get a SIM from the appropriate country.

Yeah, a monthly plan allows you to roam across Asia.

Yeah, it’s a pain but it’s definitely cheaper than roaming charges …

Yeah, it’s a pain but it’s definitely cheaper than roaming charges …[/quote]

Buying a SIM card in HK is as simple as going to the 7-11 and asking for one (tip: PEOPLES lets you call Taiwan, US, UK, Canada, etc for the same price as a local HK call)… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the replies. I already have my Hong Kong SIM card, it’s just I hate to keep switching my number. But now that I know that it’s a lot cheaper, I won’t continue to complain.

Hi,
Does any of the phone companies provide roaming in the region (HK, Singapore,Philippines…) on a PRE-PAID card?
Thanks
SWR

[quote=“shiwurong”]Hi,
Does any of the phone companies provide roaming in the region (HK, Singapore,Philippines…) on a PRE-PAID card?
Thanks
SWR[/quote]
You can get in contact with taiwancell.net/index.html . They have short term cell phone plans that are relatively cheap and very convenient. You’ll never have to worry about buying those annoying “top-up minutes” for pre-paid SIMs and you’ll be able to use your cell like normal. I know you can discuss setting up your account to be used overseas and I think there’s just sort of a deposit you put down. Check them out. I used them last summer and I was very happy with everything.

Thanks, cdn, great link!