ARRRGHHH! I've just been to the dentist

And I just got home. I’m sitting here with a huge swab in my mouth, unable to talk.
I’m going through the laborious process of having braces fitted as I planned to have my wisdom teeth out because they have given me jip off and on for years. The last time they did was during Chinese New year when all the dentists were conveniently off work and I had the most painful infection and was screaming for them out.

Well just a few moments ago I was screaming for them to be left in and they were.
I got to the dentist and immediately asked for gas. I asked for gas because I had once been given a local needle before and after five of them I could still feel pain. The dentist refused me a general because of the element of risk and so proceeded to offer injections, once to the upper rear and then once to the lower rear. After a minute or so I wasn’t anaesthetized and so he started on the second, then the third, then the forth until I couldn’t feel my lips or gums any longer. Then the other dentist arived who was going to be pulling my extremely long white westerner wisdom teeth out, and I already know they are much longer than Asians in general so I ask again, “can I have a general anaesthetic please?” to which he responded that it was odd how our western dentists prefer generals over locals, but no I couldn’t have a general anaesthetic. He started on the first of the wisdom teeth and as soon as he put what felt like most of his body weight onto my rear tooth I felt a strong pain in it and signalled with my hand. He pulled out and offered me another needle and asked if I could feel my gums or lips. I couldn’t. He started again. I felt a couple of crunches and was trying my best to manage the pain by tensing up uncontrollably at which point he started shouting at me with frustration. “You have to keep still as I can’t work while you are tensing up.” “RELAX!” He pulls out again and asks me if I feel pain to which I signal a big “YES!” with my hand gestures. Another two shots later and a few minutes to let them take affect, he starts again. Immediate pain again and he flips out shouting again in the hospital dentistry. At this point he was making me so nervous that all I wanted to do was yank all his tools out my mouth and leg it down the hallway, but common sense told me to sit it out and try to let him finish. One more try later and me unable to relax for the pain in my lower jaw he gives up. They pad my mouth to the extent that I can’t talk with all the padding and anaesthetic and then tell me to go and pay for the unfinished work and then once I have done that come back. I did that after sitting for twenty minutes to allow my adrenalin and heart levels to return to a manageable state and then they told me I could apply to the emergency ward for a general anaesthetic and four wisdom teeth to be removed near the end of the month.
Now I’m sitting here unable to eat, but also unable to take my pain killers until after a meal and I’m wondering if the pain will kick in before I can manage to get a pin killer in me.

Fuck me! That’s the scariest moment I have ever had in my life hands down!
I have done some stupid scary things in my time, but I never thought the dentists would beat them.
I even told the dentist that until they had actually started I hadn’t even felt apprehensive about turning up today.

Tune in for the next thrilling instalment after the 22nd which is when I’ll hopefully be fully under counting sheep as they yank all they bloody well wish, unless I die of anaesthetic overdose.

If you have them out under general at a hospital check out the bruise on your chest when you come round. It will be knee shaped.

That will be to check if I am truly under. I know that one from first aid courses. Am I right?

Ow, you poor thing. Good luck.

I should have posted a recommendation.
I recommend either abstaining from alcohol for at least a couple of months before one of these local anaesthetics or just plain refusal to have a local. It can’t just be the alcohol that I’m used to though as the first experience I had with ineffective anaesthetics was when I was an early teen and I didn’t drink much at all back then. Back then the dentist told me it was perhaps because I have a large jaw muscle, which made me chuffed at the time as I didn’t know I had any large muscle before that.

Me sitting here after a root canal this morning. Fucking sore as FUCK!
FUCK!
It was sore.
SORE!
And I have to go back tomorrow for more. But the dentist promised me – PROMISED – that tomorrow’s session won’t hurt.
His assistant wants to fuck me, though, on account of she noticed how hard and lean my arms were. Sitting there patting me on the arm as my mouth was raped. I could tell she was enthralled with the way my whole body was THRUMMING with anxiety.
Good to know I’m not the only one who turns into a 6-year-old when he gets into the chair.
One more root canal, an easy extraction, then I get into the REAL dentistry – NT$60,000-worth of shinybright front teeths. No more snaggle-toothed Brit look for ME, godammit. I’ll be taking fucking BOOKINGS for seeings-to with the local lasses after this, mark my words.

Wow, sands, that’s a big step. Don’t be getting all Michael Jackson on us now.

Good God, Mr Sulavaca! You wouldn’t even go for a four-fold wisdom tooth extraction under local anaesthesia in a country where they believe in pain management and relief! That is some major shit. Most often they have to cut the gums with a scalpel to get at the harder part of the tooth underneath. Blood everywhere. Damn painful and traumatic. One wisdom, ok, but more, go to a hospital, get a general, and just sleep through the gore. Well worth the extra outlay for an anaesthetist. Good luck, mate, I’m cringing. :astonished:

Mr Sandman, I’m a tad surprised. I’ve had many root canals and the only one that hurt was in a tooth that was already agonizingly painful.
What is that stuff you’re having done? Sounds much cheaper than porcelain veneers and a damn sight cheaper than implants. I need my teeth replaced, but I’d rather look like a crack and meth addict than wear falsies.

I was getting root canal in a badly infected molar. The teeths are the six in the front on the top, where two are missing. Not implants. Apparently he’ll grind the ones on either side down to pegs and affix falsies to them. Bridge, maybe? I’m not well-up on dental vocab. NT$9k per tooth is all I know. Mid-range in price terms.
God knows how much I’ll have to budget for condoms once they’re done, though. :astonished:

Don’t worry; if your teeth look as pretty as you say they will, the guys will probably pay for the condoms.

[quote=“sandman”]I was getting root canal in a badly infected molar. The teeths are the six in the front on the top, where two are missing. Not implants. Apparently he’ll grind the ones on either side down to pegs and affix falsies to them. Bridge, maybe? I’m not well-up on dental vocab. NT$9k per tooth is all I know. Mid-range in price terms.
God knows how much I’ll have to budget for condoms once they’re done, though. :astonished:[/quote]
That’s damn reasonable by world standards. :discodance:
And since when did the Scots start using condoms? Surely only the Nigerian ones would fit, and they break too easily.

SandBaby wrote: [quote]Me sitting here after a root canal this morning. Fucking sore as FUCK! FUCK! It was sore. SORE! [/quote]
Stop being such an Italian footballer! You should be thankful for such a raw and authentic experience - it’s good material for your blues sax blowing. Channel the pain baby, channel it!

One guy holds your forehead from behind while the other squats over you pulling the tooth. The knee in the chest is for leverage.

Hmm… sounds like you guys have gone to some terrible dentists.
Besides, I’d never go to a dentist to have teeth pulled, you need a dental surgeon.
Also, just a tip from someone who had all four wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago, do one side at a time, or you won’t be able to eat solids for a week…
The problem is that you need to keep the holes clean and stuff gets stuck in there despite stitches and what not.
It might sound stupid to go for the procedure twice, but I think you’re mad if you take them all out at once. You’ll also have four times the pain once the anaesthetic wears off…

The only times I’ve had injections was when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and when I had a root canal done. I find the pain of the needles to be far worse than any of the other stuff which has never bothered me.

Also, a dentist recommendation here, Australian trained - Hidens Dental Clinics 02-2570-0178, the dentist is called David Chang. I dunno if he’s any good as I haven’t had a chance to visit him as yet, but he speaks perfect English and seems to be a nice guy.

One side at a time?! Are you a man or a mouse?!

And is there some summer special on dental work at the moment?

Nobody told me anything!

I did get a couple of molars extracted the easy way, and a couple the hard way.

At least when I was under ‘general’, I didn’t get any bruises on my chest.

I’m just glad I didn’t go in for a hernia because I later realized that I’d put my undies on backwards that day.

How embarrassing would that have been?!

Holy crap! My heart has started up again on reading that!

Oh, I’m sure once you’re under, any pretense of being gentle goes right down the dental spittoon.

Dentist Dan: Just count back from 100 . . .

You: 100!, 99!, 98! 90 . . .

Dentist Dan: All Right! Get out the C-clamps and crow bars!
:discodance:

I’m only winding you up Sulavaca. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. I know a few surgeons and they all claim to be very gentle when people are under. It doesn’t get medieval or anything.

I agree with one of the other posters that it’s very surprising for a dentist to have a go at pulling four wisdom teeth at once. That’s a bloody big job and back in the UK would almost certainly require a hospital visit.

[quote=“tomthorne”]I’m only winding you up Sulavaca. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. I know a few surgeons and they all claim to be very gentle when people are under. It doesn’t get medieval or anything.

I agree with one of the other posters that it’s very surprising for a dentist to have a go at pulling four wisdom teeth at once. That’s a bloody big job and back in the UK would almost certainly require a hospital visit.[/quote]

Yes, I didn’t clear that up. They were trying to remove two at once, but didn’t manage one.
They will be removing all of them at once though when I go under.

I’m waiting for food right now before I take my painkillers. The pain is killing me. I’ve got the sweats!

Oh, and as TheLostSwede mentioned infection afterwards is the thing to be really careful about. Make sure they give you some westerner strength anti-biotics, regularly rinse your mouth out with salty water especially after eating, and try to avoid booze straight after the op. You’ll still almost certainly get an infection. Unfortunately mouths aren’t particularly clean places.